iMac average lifespan for Pinoy Mac users?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Flim, Jan 12, 2016.

1. wem272

wem272 Active Member

Mac mini 2014 just showed time machine restore option on startup yesterday. Before that absolutely no problems. Might upgrade to 2018 mac mini.

2. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

Our Mac Mini in the clinic lasted from 2012 to 2018. Honestly, it was still working, just too slow that patient time extended by about 3-4 minutes because of how slow it took to bring up word documents and time to print. Worked okay, but just too slow for my comfort, so had it replaced last year. 6 years seems to be good enough for me, I guess.
    (We only use it for Word docs for prescriptions, Excel maybe twice or thrice a month, and Safari for email, and Preview for pics, that's it)

3. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Active Member

Who do you send the units to, for cleaning?

4. vtf

vtf Active Member

go to ab blanc in Cuba. they will clean while you wait. sometimes they do this for free if you have certain parts replaced

5. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

I have two 2009 iMacs at home, workhorses for me and my wife, still going strong (except that my wife's iMac lost its wi-fi, for which I got a 3rd party fix). I upgraded their drives to 2TB each two years ago.

6. chorizo

chorizo Member

Mac Mini 2010 still going strong. I use it mostly for downloading shows and watching on my not smart TV. My theory on why it lasted this long - i only put it on sleep. The only time I shut it down is when i go on long trips or power interruptions.

7. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

2012 iMac 27 still going strong, still on El Capitan haha
    Our accountant got our 2008 iMac and she's still using it.

Sadly, my 2008 Mac Mini stopped powering on last week. Our family did a virtual 21-gun salute for our Mini. Power Mac said Minis cannot be opened and therefore cannot be fixed. Has anyone fixed your Mini?

8. alfa

alfa Member

Still have my 2011 imac 27 which i bought new. Still going strong, upgraded to an internal 1TB SSD with a 12 gig RAM which makes it it very fast. Coupled with an external Thunderbolt external drive it is still a very good all around family computer/workhorse.
    And yes it still does not hang... Stopped upgrading OS stayed on with High Sierra

9. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Active Member

I made the mistake of upgrading my 2012 (?) iMac to Mojave. It became super slow. I downgraded to High Sierra and it's now working great again.

10. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

Just upgraded the hard drive in this one to an SSD. Updated the OS from El Capitan to Sierra and it has a new lease on life.

Note to self: Never buy another computer with a hard drive, not even a fusion drive. It has to be SSD.