iMac average lifespan for Pinoy Mac users?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Flim, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Flim

Flim Member

• What is the average lifespan of an iMac from your direct experience? How long have you had your iMac that you'd recommend one to others?
    • How about the display -- how long does it hold up before developing problems? Do the newer iMacs (2014/2015) have a newer architecture that would prevent internal stains, etc. (read about this in many forums). Are there ways to prevent these internal smudges?
    I'm a recent Mac convert, and a noob in this forum who would really like to know what I'm getting into before I finally part with my hard-earned bucks and get an iMac -- though feeling queasy about the display in a unibody.

I have an MBA 11" (early 2014 A1465, 256gb SSD, 4gb) I've been using for a year now as my workhorse and love it to pieces. But it's more than high time I give my eyes a rest and get a larger/brighter screen and HDD. I mostly work with MS and Adobe apps (Illustrator, PS, ID, etc., as well as torrent DLs, hehe...). I also installed Parallels Desktop (Win 7) to help me transition to OSX (and thinking of putting this again in a desktop because I can't find a better substitute for MediaMonkey -- unless you have one).

My average turnaround for desktop is around 4 years, so I really want to know if iMac will hold up well -- esp. the display. Yes, I know of AppleCare but frankly, it gets me why Apple can't make their warranty 3 years like other computer manufacturers such as Lenovo.

Any advice is much appreciated. :)

#1 Flim, Jan 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  2. VicB

VicB PhilMUG Addict Member

We have an iMac that we bought in 2008 which is currently my wife's unit. It has a 24" screen & a built-in DVD drive. The drive has been problematic the past 2 years. We never bothered to change it since most stuff are now downloaded & can be transferred to a flash drive. The screen still works well. And, the OS is still Snow Leopard which is 4 versions behind the current OS (El Capitan)!

With Apple computers, I find no need to change or move up unless you really need the latest whistles & bells hardware-wise. Or, your critical app is no longer supported on the OS you're currently using.

hitme64 likes this.
  3. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm still using my 2011 (21') iMac...

I find it a bit slow, thanks to its HDD! But I have no plans of replacing it so far.

Reasons why I'm still using it...

1. I prefer to have it replaced with the 27' version... But my table won't be able to handle it :( -
    2. I'm hoping to see USB-C in future models before I consider replacing my iMac.
    3. It still can handle my needs... I believe its the oldest Mac that can export 4K videos (iMovie)

Do note that I don't use my iMac to download torrents... I have a Netbook for that.

hitme64 likes this.
  4. Flim

Flim Member

Thanks guys for the replies, really appreciate it. Wow, I can't believe that your 2008 and 2011 iMacs are still functioning -- inc. the display. My last desktop was an HP t698d which cost me around 80k++ but the separate LCD display gave way after 3 years, then I got a Samsung LCD which also gave way after about 3 years. That's why I'm queasy about monitors -- esp. since the iMac costs so much.

I'm also wondering - when do you think will early 2016 iMacs come out in the market? Haven't found anything on this online. Should I wait, because I'm hoping for a 21.5 Retina with Skylake - but would this be a useless wait?

5. Flim

Flim Member

About DL'ing torrents...why don't you use your iMac for this?

6. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

2009 iMac 21.5" still working and still incredibly good to look at...and it boots two ways!

Flim likes this.
  7. ice

Flim likes this.
  8. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

According to an electronics engineer I once spoke to, premium electronic equipment have an estimated end of life of about 5 to 10 years. That was about 5 to 6 years ago. I think its lower now since components and parts seem to have downgraded for profit maximization. Stuffs break over time and lemons (factory-faulty units) reach consumers however strict the manufacturing process may be. Some folks are less lucky than most and may end up getting stuff that break earlier and easier due to factors such as faulty design and parts, mishandling, electrical surges, heat, moisture, etc. Macs are a joy to use compared to other computers but we can only live with the fact that they will eventually break just like any electronic stuff. And we can only count that they don't do so before the expiry of warranty (basic 1 year or apple care). So I suggest just get a mac if your budget allows for it and enjoy it for what it is.

#8 makintosh, Jan 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    Flim likes this.
  9. Adarna

Adarna PhilMUG Addict Member

I have the base model 2007 iMac. HDD died. Will replace it with a lowest end SSD so it will fly.

rimewire likes this.
  10. ice

I've lost a couple of hard disks/SSD when used for dowloading stuff, maybe since it's constantly writing/reading when downloading... Or maybe just bad luck...

Just to be sure, I've little to loose when something goes wrong with my netbook

11. Flim

Flim Member

Amazing that your iMac itself is still around since 2007, particularly the display. Can't help thinking what makes the iMac so durable...

12. Flim

Flim Member

In my case, maybe it's good luck that no computer has (yet) died on me despite so many torrent DLs. TY for the reply!

13. Adarna

Adarna PhilMUG Addict Member

Hard drive died about 12-24 months ago from very light use. To tell you the truth it isn't a pleasure to use. It is after all old already. Good enough for Office apps and browsing the web but other than that it's creaking.

I had a 2000 iMac G3 DV that I sold to a friend ways back. Still works. They only had to replace the mouse. Of course it really shows its age.

I think even PCs can do as well so long as the parts aint pipitchugin.

14. jerrychu

jerrychu Member

Still using my mid 2007 iMac 20". Hdd died on me about 4 years ago. Replaced it to a 500gb back then.

15. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

I still have a 2011 27-inch iMac around. I still use it from time to time (if I feel like working in our bedroom). - It suffered the dreaded screen smudging issue before - but I cleaned it myself and sealed/taped it back real good - never had the same issue for years now... I've also upgraded it to 32GB RAM and 512GB Crucial M550 SSD. - it is still a very very capable machine to date. It can still chew anything I throw on it :)

Flim likes this.
  16. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

now that you know @Flim get that iMac you sincerely want to hold on to...and yes, welcome to PhilMug...

Flim likes this.
  17. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Welcome to PhilMUG, @Flim. Despite the casual mention of torrents in this thread (as a testimony to the Mac's robustness), please be aware that discussions of the torrent topic that leads to illegal use are not allowed in this forum. Torrenting, per se, isn't bad. Its popular use in downloading what you're not licensed for or have paid to download, is a taboo topic at PhilMUG.

Just so you know. Carry on and have fun in the forum.

Flim and greta87 like this.
  18. ice

Honestly, 2 things I hate with my iMac...

1. The white keyboard... Wife always asks me to clean it... And yes, (even if not recommended by Apple) I use those LCD sprays to clean it...

2. Wireless Trackpad... I keep breaking it... Either someone drops something on it, or the battery leaks!

But again, would never replace my iMac for a Windows Machine!

19. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

I have a few iMacs from as old as 2008 to as recent as 2014. The 2008 model is still working fine but really slow now. Using Snow Leopard only. Only use it now for casual web surfing & iTunes. & since it still has a functioning DVD drive; I also use it for the occasional movie viewing using old DVDs. :)

20. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

My iMac mid-2012 21.5" unit is in the hospital. Just quit while I was working on it. No power. Tried SMC'ing — still no joy. Hope it's nothing expensive to repair or replace. It's off-warranty already, even with AppleCare. Working now on a tiny MacBook Air with the files backed up on the Time Machine (Airport Extreme Time Capsule 3 Tb). Glad to know my files are still there.

Even if this iMac is deemed to be not economically viable to repair, I'd still buy another iMac later on. The iMac DV in Bondi blue was my very first Apple rig in 1996, running on OS 9 — somehow your first love doesn't fade away. You keep coming back to the iMac.

#20 Chito Limson, Jan 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    raze19, Sunil_K and Flim like this.