iMac 27in 5k pink tinge on the edges of the screen?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by warmgreentea, May 22, 2020.

1. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

Hi all, I have this trusty i7 iMac 2015 that I've upgraded through time (64gb ram and 1tb ssd) who I think I'd be using for a couple more years before thinking of upgrading it, but I noticed that after some prolonged use, the edges will get this pinkish hue to it. The screen will develop something like a pink/purple vignette. If you let your iMac rest for maybe an hour, it will go away, but at some point it will come back.

It looks something like this:

[​IMG]

The issue seems to be common, and a little googling will get you lots of results with regards to the isuue. Anyone experiencing this? It is useable, but the pink edges are so distracting. I'm trying to find if there is a recall to fix these issues and whatnot, so far no luck.

In any case, do we have sources here where we could get there new LCD panels? And how much will it cost to get one? TIA!

2. jonathanvital

jonathanvital Active Member

We have the same problem! hahahaha It's been like this for maybe 3 years now, started a year after i got the unit so i was quite disappointed, just lived with it till now. I asked a technician friend who does home service, he said it costs around 30k to replace the screen, bummer. IMG_5190.jpg

3. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

I do graphics design so all my applications are squared inside and not the edges. Can't sacrifice color accuracy with those pink hues. :LOL:

30k is indeed too much for a repair of this aging machine, so I guess I'll just use this until it dies. This will probably be my last iMac and I'll settle with a wide monitor + 16inch Macbook Pro someday in the future, which will be set up like this:

[​IMG]

And man, Apple should do something with the bezels soon. This design is getting a bit dated.