iMac 21.5 mid-2011 Automatically Shuts Down

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dandelionne, Sep 3, 2011.

1. dandelionne

dandelionne Member

My iMac is just 5 days old and it's already getting on my nerves. When it was still on Snow Leopard, the screen would suddenly go blank while I can still hear the youtube videos playing or when it is on idle mode cz I was downloading the firmware update,it goes on sleep mode and then shuts down. The system preferences setting of the Computer & Display sleep has already been adjusted and yet this still occurs.

Now, it has already been upgraded to Lion and all the available software updates and a new problem occurs: it just automatically shuts down on me. HELP!

2. aaarrrnnn

aaarrrnnn Member

It could be you have a defective iMac. Why don't you return it to have it checked.

3. dandelionne

dandelionne Member

I am in a small town in Leyte. Bought it at PMC SM MOA.

Been googling it and found out it seems kinda a universal problem. Saw in a forum that someone had the same problem and it was replaced with a new one and yet the problem still occurs.

4. aaarrrnnn

aaarrrnnn Member

I don't believe its a universal problem. If that was the case, then ALL owners of iMac 21.5 would be up in arms. But that's not the case her in Philmug. Plus a universal problem would result in Apple would issuing a universal update or recall for those defective products.

The one who had it replaced and still came out with the same problem might have had his defective one replaced with another one coming from the same manufacturing batch. Ergo in his case he encountered what is called a bad batch.

I saw an issue about an IMac having problems with a firmware here:

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/08...ssues-on-mid-2011-imacs-with-firmware-update/

But since you said you already upgraded to Lion, then that problem should no longer be there.

On your case, until you have it serviced or replaced, there's no way to tell if its a config error, a hardware problem or a case of bad batch.

5. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

the nearest authorized service center in your area is cebu

iStore - Ayala Center
    3rd Flr, Ayala Center Cebu Cebu
    Telephone: (032) 2331310, (032) 4151907

iStore - SM Northwing
    Northwing, SM City Cebu, Reclamation Area Cebu
    Telephone: (032) 2364150, (032) 4127339

iCenter - Crossroads Mall
    U28 Crossroads Mall, Banilad Cebu City
    Telephone: (032) 2310550

iStore - Banilad Town Centre
    2rd Flr, Banilad Town Centre, Banilad Cebu
    Telephone: (032) 4162304

Microwarehouse - Cebu
    39 D-Borromeo Arcade F. Ramos St. Cebu City
    Telephone: (032) 2533358

MSI-ECS (Phils) Inc - Cebu Office
    #3 Rositas Compound, Quano Avenue corner Circumferential Road, Mandaue, Cebu City
    Telephone: (032) 345 9441 to 43

good luck;)

6. dandelionne

dandelionne Member

Ah ok. Anyway, as I have specified that the "automatic shutdown" dilemma was later experienced AFTER I upgraded it to Lion. When it was on Snow Leopard, nothing of that sort but only when its after sleep mode it doesnt wake up.

Thanks.

7. dandelionne

dandelionne Member

UPDATE: brought the unit last wednesday to PMC and the technician just did a reformat and the problem was gone. I am now enjoying my iMac without any trouble

8. memphis

memphis Well-Known Member

So the lion clean install solved the issues? Did PMC told you the reasons behind why it keeps on shutting down?

9. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

thats good to hear. it's very rare that I've had problems with any of the apple products that i;ve purchased over the years, but when they do happen, a visit to an Apple repair center usually does the trick and the device/machine
    works like brand new right after.

10. dandelionne

dandelionne Member

The technician just speculated that it must have been the software lang daw ( I don't speak computer language so all the while he was explaining I was just saying "ah ok" ) that's why he did a reformat and then reinstalled the Lion. No technical issues encountered na after.