iMac 2014

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jonathanvital, Jun 18, 2014.

1. jonathanvital

jonathanvital Active Member

2. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

^ It's basically a MBA in desktop form but without the SSD

3. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

500GB is plenty. If not enough buy a 4TB WD My Book USB 3.

4. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm sorry to say but this is too expensive for what it is worth. It maybe okay for those who need it for simple needs, but I still think that the +$200 mid level iMac is more worth it. I kinda feel like this is the Macbook Air in a desktop form, whereas the Mid-High spec'ed are of the Macbook Pro ones.

Maybe if they would sell it for $999 with 128gig SSD, I would consider that. :)

5. pels_17

pels_17 Well-Known Member

The base model is like the iPhone 5c of the iMac line.

6. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

having had all the iMac models since, well...since i can remember, i would however not cop this one for what its worth...it may be cheaper but it's not what it was before...nothing new, nothing to look forward to...sayang lang...

give me an iMac with 256ssd and retina display but in that price range then i might look back...

7. paul_s

paul_s Member

They say even the RAM is not upgradeable. C'mon Apple you can do better than this.

My entry level 2011 21.5 iMac has better specs (quad core 2.5 GHz i5) than this all-new 2014 model (dual core 1.4GHz i5) and almost at the same price point sub 60K when I got it 3 years ago. :(

8. motoflux

motoflux Lemon Pepper Fan

9. armel

armel Active Member

The new iMac really has a very tempting price point. But personally, the specs are too modest for my needs.

10. paolo.

paolo. Member

Yikes! What happened to Apple? Thought to ponder.

I guess it all depends on who'll use it? Specs wise, I am happy with my MBA. :)

11. JayShawn

JayShawn Member

this is what is happening with apple under tim cook. he wants to appeal to a broader market and get a bigger market share. steve would not allow their products to be watered down just for market share.

12. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

13. PatrickGaerlan

Staff Member

That's just one aspect, of course. And I wouldn't even say that about Apple based on a single entry-level model. I have to say that I'm very happy with what Tim Cook's Apple showed in last month's WWDC -- getting OS X and iOS working even better together while each stays distinctly separate and opening up iOS without sacrificing security.

14. JayShawn

JayShawn Member

i am happy with happy with apple as a whole, and thr OS X iOS software integration is very nice. but i think apple's going too commercial. steve also said that they won't do a mini iPad. too small for a tab, too big for a phone. i have to agree, even if it is more portable it is bad for my eyes. steve also said 3.5" screens are optimal for one hand operation. now we have 4" and soon 4.7" and 5.5" screens. and the iPhone 5C? steve would never have signed off on the concept even though this is just a garden variety iPhone 5 in new clothes,

15. PatrickGaerlan

Staff Member

Steve is famous for saying on several occasions that Apple won't be doing something then doing a complete 180 when he felt they were ready with a good product. Remember when he said no one ever needed video on an iPod? Or what about not needing native apps on the iPhone?

I for one am glad that Apple came out with an iPad mini, I love my retina mini. I'm also looking forward to a larger iPhone, 4" is just too small for me. Not many people realize too that Apple's iPhone 5c 'failure flop' outsold Blackberry, Windows Phone and every Android flagship in Q4. It doesn't worry me that Apple makes products that aren't targeted at me (iPhone 5c, entry-level iMac, iPad Air) as long as they continue creating and improving products that are (iPad mini, MacBook Pro retina, flagship iPhone, iOS, OS X). With what I'm seeing from Tim Cook and team, especially after the latest WWDC, I'm more excited than ever about Apple's future.

Lastly, I think no one alive can definitively say what Steve would and would not have done -- the last person who was able to do that died back in October 5, 2011 :)

16. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

Apple is reaching to low-income consumers as well, that's why.

(Maybe) Tim Cook wants to have a larger marketshare of iMacs even though it means creating not-so-good products with a low entry price point.

17. djtxlr

djtxlr New Member

Hi guys,

is it safe to buy an iMac 27 inch right now or is there an upcoming refresh?

18. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

here is the buyers guide. it was updated last june 2014 (the low end) but major updates was done last september 2013.

19. raychmd

raychmd Member

Hi Guys!I would appreciate your advice. So I am thinking of buying an iMac and my dilemma is do I go for the entry level iMac (about 54K) or the next one which is about 64K? I have been reading that the entry level iMac is not worth the money considering the specs. On the other hand I am quite hesitant about the next higher model because there might be a new iMac upgrade coming. Should I just wait it out? Thanks very much!

20. wena73

wena73 Member

Initially i wanted to get the entry level imac too but when i checked the specs it seems too basic for me so i got the imac27.