Ikea Philippines

Discussion in 'General OT' started by ice, Nov 20, 2018.

1. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Biggest IKEA store in the world will be in Manila | Manila Bulletin

raypin likes this.
  2. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...wow.....love IKEA. Love their Swedish meatballs. But with import taxes and 12% eVAT, it is not going to be cheap. Will their prices be competitive? And selection?

Sunil_K likes this.
  3. ice

Price will be ok, compared to locally manufactured ones, but don't expect too much when it comes to quality.
    Ikea stuff don't last very long.

I just hope a local Ikea shop modernizes our local furniture industry...

hitme64 and raypin like this.
  4. ice

not only am I looking forward to their meatballs... also looking forward to their Almond tart with Daim

raypin likes this.
  5. raypin

Mm....we don’t have a local furniture industry. Cheap China imports killed it. The nearest equivalent to Ikea is SM’s Our Home. Most of their stuff are imported from China or Malaysia or Thailand. I buy most of my furnishings from Our Home (mattress, bedspreads, flat sheets, pillows, shams, table runners, bed runners, candles, diffusers, area rug etc.) Reasonably priced.

Visited Crate and Barrel. Too expensive. And Ethan Allen? Ha ha....a half a million for Sectionals? Haha ha....

Ikea will kill Our Home, specially if they do on-line/catalog sales. Ironic.

#5 raypin, Nov 20, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    hitme64, Godfather and Sunil_K like this.
  6. ice

well we still have those shops for custom made furniture...

And I have received a lot of rejections about things they believe are not possible, even if I show them an Ikea catalogue...

With a local Ikea shop, we can technically bring a carpenter to show them that what we want is actually possible... Or maybe just buy the necessary joints/hinges from Ikea to make our custom made furniture possible...

hitme64, imart and raypin like this.
  7. imart

imart PhilMUG Addict Member

big chicken wings ftw

8. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

9. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Furniture that's too expensive for the guy who has a $10,000 Chord DAVE headphone DAC. :D

Our Home is my #2 choice. Don't ask me; ask my #2. :D

10. raypin

Mm....I can‘t afford Ethan Allen furniture. Money goes to the money pit known as headphonius addictus. But my visit to their showroom in Manda was pure bliss. I love really good furniture. Sitting on one of their sofas was like......Instant o......as in Oh I can’t afford this, can I sleep here even for one night?

:cry::p

#10 raypin, Nov 20, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    Sunil_K likes this.
  11. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

Hmm (raypin patent) Mmmmeatballs. One item on the menu that I like is the Rump Steak, cooked medium and also the salmon.
    For the home items, I like the hangers, rechargeable batteries, desk lamps, shoe horn (!), dinnerware, ceramic knives, coffee press. and the list goes on...

Another runaway hit from SM (like Uniqlo), if prices are competitive and online ordering (via app) will be be made available. No need to participate in the Telco race

raypin and hitme64 like this.
  12. mongkee

mongkee PhilMUG Addict Member

Been to Ikea once, last June in LV. This was right after I had several custom wooden furniture and fixtures made for our newly constructed home. I walked around Ikea and nothing really stood out for me. Plus I really had doubts about the quality. I'm not bashing Ikea or anything, but I really do believe that the ones made by my karpintero by hand were more sturdy (beds, shelves, stools and tables) since I opted to use actual 3/4 plywood vs multi density fiberboard that's now widely used in modern and mass-produced furniture. Plus I had the benefit of customization (dimensions, color, holes and crevices for cable management, etc.). Cost would be a totally different matter though as I do think Ikea's stuff would cost less than having to custom build.

Although what I was looking for back then was their coffee tables with built-in wireless charging. Not to buy though, but instead I was curious to look at how they were made so I can also have my karpintero make one for me back home :D

Slightly OT... Mandaue Foam and Uratex makes furniture that's of good quality as well (Mandaue more so with more choices). I'm predicting they'll be most affected once Ikea comes along. If anyone's looking for a cheaper alternative than Crate and Barrel, Ethan Allen, Our Home etc. I do recommend you check out Mandaue's showrooms in Shaw and Cainta

raypin and rvaph like this.
  13. rvaph

rvaph Active Member

I won't go to Ikea for furniture. But I like the design of their cushion covers and rugs. Their lamps are also really nice. +1 on Mandaue foam furniture. I often visit their showroom along Quezon Avenue (near Banawe) just to check what's new.

hitme64 likes this.
  14. isaak

isaak Active Member

Just wish people would pronounce it correctly..

15. ice

Ikea quality is really bad... Plus the fact that you need to carry the boxes (my shoe cabinet was 20kg per box and I bought 3), and assemble when you reach home!

But, you can call it a quick solution.

As for Ikea Philippines... Do you think they'll serve rice :)

16. ice

Hahaha... Locals here pronounce it as ik-yah!

It should be ee-kay-uh.

17. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

most IKEA furnitures are garbage... they're like disposables.

hitme64 likes this.
  18. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Well, there's a knock-off Ikea Store in Yunan province, China that sells their products almost 50% below Ikea's own...some of them can be found in furniture and home improvement stores here already...
    t.jpg s.jpg r.jpg

raypin likes this.
  19. ice

Yes...

But, if your renting the place, have no time to wait for a custom made (or don't know a shop to make one for you)... Need something temporary...

Ikea!

cybersniper likes this.
  20. raypin

Mm...I ve always pronounced it as AyyyKeeyaah. Got it from the Americans.....AyyyRan (Iran).....Ayyyyrak (Iraq)....nahawa ako...my proud-of-his-heritage-turned-refugee Iranian-American and Jewish friend would constantly correct me...it is EERan......gahd...I miss my American accent......Took me 6 to 8 months to acquire it....and one month to lose it after returning home....

:p

#20 raypin, Nov 21, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    Sunil_K and Dekra like this.