iCloud Photo Library

Discussion in 'Apple iCloud' started by witch_md, Nov 9, 2015.

1. witch_md

witch_md Active Member

Backed up my old iphone and restored it to the new one. All photos (14K plus) got transferred as well. However, since I've enabled the iCloud Photo Library, the new phone is now uploading everything all over again, even though these photos already exist in the cloud. Quite tedious because the uploading takes a long, long, long time.

2. mokmoki

mokmoki PhilMUG Addict Member

3. witch_md

witch_md Active Member

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. The specific device uploads the photos in the iCloud. Even if I sync the photos with my Mac (again), my phone will still keep on uploading them to the cloud whenever it's connected to wifi. One bummer thing about it is that the photo library on the phone is not synchronized with my other devices' photo library until it has uploaded all the pictures.

No problems with Live Photos and iCloud Photo Library since videos are synced as well. I guess  wants users to start enabling iCloud Photo Library.

4. mokmoki

haha, that's exactly what i did earlier today. i upgraded my iCloud storage plan and enabled my iCloud Photo Library. but i enabled it on my Mac and not yet on my iPhone (will wait for the Mac upload to finish first) haha.

witch_md likes this.
  5. mokmoki

Grabe, uploading 57gb of Photos in the iCloud Photo Library takes forever with the kind of internet speeds that we have. :(

trigo likes this.
  6. witch_md

witch_md Active Member

Mine took 3 days. Good luck!

7. mokmoki

That's using your phone right? It doesn't upload over cellular naman no?

8. witch_md

witch_md Active Member

Nope. Should be via WiFi.

9. mokmoki

Anybody else using the iCloud Photo Library? Does it automatically download all photos and videos from iCloud to the iPhone, assuming that it wasn't the iPhone that uploaded the Photos to iCloud (i.e. Macbook -> iCloud -> iPhone).

10. witch_md

witch_md Active Member

If you turned on iCloud photo library on your iPhone then yes all pictures, albums and videos will sync with it, even if the pictures where uploaded from your Mac.

11. kenshinx

kenshinx Active Member

This is why I didn't sync my pictures to iCloud :)

12. ivin

ivin Active Member

Using both google photos and iCloud photos. After uploading on google photos i delete on i cloud photos to clear up storage usage.

13. witch_md

witch_md Active Member

Is it just my internet connection or is iCloud's Photos app down today? Can't open Photos on the iCloud site in Safari and new pictures are not uploading.

14. chicosci

chicosci Member

Upgraded my icloud yesterday and start uploading my photos in the icloud library. 16k photos to upload. Im using skycable broadband and upload speeds are only 50-100kb/sec. Since last night it only uploaded 250 pictures. Given this rate. It will take me roughly 2.8 months to upload all my photos! haha. :(

15. kcirecarg718

kcirecarg718 Well-Known Member

Why not copy all your pictures to a folder in your desktop, then remove all the pictures from Photos Library or just create a new Library from photos. After that go to the iCloud website and upload all your photos there. I think it will be more faster than waiting for it to upload automatically.

16. neldeles

neldeles Active Member

Uograded to the 0.99$ per month plan. Realized photos still take up so much space locally even if it's the optimized version. Decided to just use Google photos to backup all my photos in original quality then delete from my iPhone. I only store the photos I show off a lot to friends etc on my iPhone. Google photos + iCloud photo library working seamlessly together so far.

Really wish Apple allows you to store photos only on one device/the cloud e.g. If I delete it from my iPhone, it'll still be in my Mac Photos app.

17. Don Pao

Don Pao Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,

Any tips on how to speed up downloading photos from icloud.com? was planing to download all my photos for the past 6-9 months roughly 22gb unfortunately i can't download them all at the same time :( only 1,000 photos per download and i have to manually select 1000 photos then next 1000 and so fort.

i notice downloading is slow? i'm sure it's not my isp just its like 400-700kb download only but when i tried example downloading an IPSW i get my full bandwidth of 2.5-3mb per sec.

Thanks

18. cdrubio

cdrubio New Member

If I back up my photos on the Photos application on the computer to iCloud, will the structures of my folder be retained? For example, If I have a folder "2018" then under it is a folder named "December" then there are multiple albums inside the "December" album, will all those folders and subfolders be retained when I view them on my phone?