iChat error

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by MacNeil, Jan 23, 2010.

1. MacNeil

MacNeil Member

Hi Guys,

I'm so sorry if there has been a thread about this. Been searching it here and on other threads but can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

Anyways, me and my wife were using iChat in the Philippines and it was flawless.
    But now she's in the Philippines and I'm in Oman, we can't do the video and voice chat anymore. It says communication error. We tried turning the firewall off as recommended by Apple but same error appears.

Do you guys know any workaround regarding this problem?
    TIA.

#1 MacNeil, Jan 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  2. nydge

nydge Member

There's a possibility that VoIP is blocked in Oman. Kindly check if Skype or YM works. Many countries in Middle East block VoIP.

3. MacNeil

MacNeil Member

I'm using vpn and I can use Skype and Yahoo Voice

4. nydge

nydge Member

I think iChat needs some configuration if that's the case. A different port to be used perhaps.

5. nydge

nydge Member

6. MacNeil

MacNeil Member

The easiest way to do it based on Apple is to disable the firewall which I already did.

I think Apple support regarding this issue is outdated. Can't seem to find this:

To chat with the Mac OS X firewall active, follow these steps to add the necessary ports:

From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
    From the View menu, choose Sharing.
    Click the Firewall tab.
    Click New.
    From the Port Name pop-up menu, choose Other.

Another thing I found out is that I can't connect to iChat if I'm not connected to vpn.
    BTW, I'm on Snow Leopard and using gmail account on iChat

7. nydge

nydge Member

This is applicable in Tiger. I think the Firewall menu is under Security in Leopard/Snow Leopard.

Do you have an AIM account? Maybe you want to try AIM if it works.

8. MacNeil

MacNeil Member

Ok I'll try. Thanks nydge

9. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

Why is it that when I configure my iChat using my gmail account, the chat window where the name appears above the status is not mine?
    Thanks for any help. Been deleting all my accounts to start from scratch but the name still appears there.

Hope you get it. its like when i enter my email address say [email protected], the name in the chat window appears different say mark. i don't get it.

Found the error already.