iCal data restoration

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by elbert, Apr 25, 2005.

1. elbert

elbert Active Member

I'm stumped. I helped a friend with her old powerbook. Her drive could not be repaired and the only solution was to do a clean install.

I backed up her entire User folder into another drive. After the clean install, I've been able to restore (by drag and drop) everything (Mail, iPhoto, iTunes, Documents, etc.). However, I can't seen to restore iCal. She used to have thousands of appointments, now they're all missing. I've tried everything, from drag and dropping files ical plist files from her old ~Library/Preferences folder and any other iCal related files in her Library. I saw some .ics files, which I'm able to double click. I would seem that events were imported, but none appears.

So, what am I missing? She doesn't use iCal (which would've helped). Where are the files located and how do I restore all her events? Thanks.

2. NoisyCricket

NoisyCricket Active Member

exactly what I've been asking myself as well.

One advantage of having a bluetooth phone and an ipod I guess. If data is stored there, I suppose you can always iSync and state that device should overwrite mac (which is blank after a reformat), but I'm also looking for a way to directly backup all of my Address Book, iCal data from the mac directly unto dvd-r? :D

3. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Elbert, have you tried placing those .ics files (they should be in her ~/Library/Calendars) in her new ~/Library/Calendars folder? If it doesn't exist, create one. I tried transferring my iCal data from my PowerBook to my niece's Mac mini and it worked.

Note: For those not familiar, "~" denotes the user's home directory.

4. elbert

elbert Active Member

I can't believe I missed that! I guess my first mistake was to look for the calendar files an iCal folder in the Library. Should have thought of Calendars.

I'll try it out and let you know how it goes. unfortunately, I'm not with my friend now. At least I can ask her to do it herself over the phone, since it's so simple.

Thanks a bunch!