iBook keeps restoring to default every shutdown

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by sanction214, Sep 10, 2009.

1. sanction214

sanction214 Member

HELP with iBook keeps restoring to default every shutdown

Hi. I'm really new with Mac so i thought i'd use an iBook first just to get a feel of how a Mac behaves. All went well and I have this Mac-trouble just last night.

I plugged in the power adapter ( as i usually do if at home) after turning it on i was dumbfounded that "ALL" the customization that i placed from wallpaper, hot corners, alias, magnification on the dock, even iTunes! were utterly being set back to default! I almost banged my head on the keyboard..(I spend a lot of time on the iTunes editing)

So, I thought everything was wiped out of the harddrive...i immediately checked hard drive contents..luckily everything was there (basically pretty much what i need most is still there). I tried putting them back together and after a few hours of desperate futile attempt to restore the customization and adding songs back to iTunes. I finally plugged in my smartbro to connect to the net, and it showed that i need to re-install the smartbro application even if "smartbro application was already inside"... so being a newbie, i just re-installed it and after completely installing smartbro it prompted to restart. I clicked restart and AGAIN it restored to default!

I'm thinking if its software related or it's just that i'm techincally mac-challenged user or both... i'm thinking of sending iBook to the nearest APPLE CENTER...but will check this thread later if anybody can help me out on this mess..(one reason i got a mac coz of the helpful guys in this site)

Thanks Philmuggers!

#1 sanction214, Sep 10, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  2. quasar

quasar Active Member

What kind of iBook do you have: the G3 or G4 model? I suggest putting the iBook to sleep first. If nothing happens (i.e. iBook does not return to default), then the battery may need replacement.

For peace of mind, I recommend bringing your iBook to Ynzal.

#2 quasar, Sep 10, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  3. sanction214

sanction214 Member

it's the iBook G3. The battery's working well but I will give it a try to put it to sleep. Putting it to sleep the last time it didn't wake after opening the display. So I just shut it down. Would Apple still fix older mac models?

4. sanction214

sanction214 Member

By the way I can't go to Ynzal, I'm Cebu based. I will try to wait for a few replies from this post, hopefully somebody whose using iBook before could comment on this.

5. macdrive007

macdrive007 Well-Known Member

is it possible you are booting up/using a guest account? a guest account reboots to default settings every time. if not using a guest account, try this:

try making a new admin account, customize it, make it the default log-in, then reboot. If the customizations stay, then your previous user account is flawed/setup abnormally. Use the new account from now on.

HTH :)

6. sanction214

sanction214 Member

Yes maybe that caused it. The Admin account, i clicked "get info" on the Home icon and renamed it. Hope this works. Thanks!

any other suggestion guys? it would really help.

7. macdrive007

8. sanction214

sanction214 Member

Yep, I did renamed the home icon last night (of course now I know that renaming it was the culprit! ;) )
    1. Now I know that's why it always restored to default everytime i open.
    2. That it saves a file folder for everytime i log-in ( I checked in the main drive--they're now a happy series of name with numbers which corresponds to the times i restarted or shutdown iBook.:cool:
    3. i've just discovered the new joy of allowing a multiple user account and me as their admin...(hmm, told you guys i'm technically challenged ;) that's why i prefer just borrowing computers than owning one..:cool:
    4. Thanks to those who contributed to this harrowing yet fulfilling educational eandevor of mine... 1 trouble down 100 more to go to be proficient (i guess :rolleyes: )

By the way, would it be alright if I just delete those multiple users folders that I've consumed due to the default trouble?
    ;)

9. sanction214

sanction214 Member

@quasar @Macdrive007 --Thanks to you guys!!!

10. macdrive007

if you delete them, you will lose whatever data you might need (if ever there is) from them. Better copy first whatever you need, then delete them. For adding/deleting/changing/renaming user accounts in the future, go to: System Preferences>Accounts>Click the lock to make changes>(enter password if needed)>+(add acount) -(delete account) etc