ibook g3 to leopard?

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by william, Mar 3, 2009.

1. william

william Guest

sir's a little help here, can i upgrade my ibook g3 with mac ox 10 point something to leopard?
    were can i buy a cheap bigger ram?
    what do i have to replace on my ibook?

specs:
    900 MHz PowerPC 750fx (G3) processor
    with a 512k "on chip" level 2 cache,
    128 MB of RAM
    a 40.0 GB Ultra ATA hard drive

2. kaizersix

kaizersix Member

does it say that your RAM is "built-in" ?

3. marvinp

marvinp Active Member

4. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

i don't recommend it either.. you can install tiger instead but also recommend that you max out the ram capacity to 640mb by installing a single 512mb sdram sodimm.

5. macdrive007

macdrive007 Well-Known Member

I had a chance to troubleshoot an iBook (G3 900mhz white) with specs like yours, and the maximum you can run it with is 10.4.11 OS X Tiger. No Leopard for this unit. Even with Tiger, maximize the RAM with a 512mb stick, got one from mark_17 before. This iBook will allow watching videos and youtube (sometimes choppy, try using VLC player), besides the usual office, internet browsing, email, iPhoto & iTunes use. This unit will have trouble though with content creation. Photoshop CS (do not use CS2 or above) and iMovie HD will work but might lag or sputter when the load is heavy.

And please avoid using the power button as much as possible, just let the iBook sleep. If you really have to, be super gentle with that power button. Each time you press that button, it exerts pressure to the video chip on the logic board and will result into the dreaded iBook (white) defective logicboard problem.

#5 macdrive007, Mar 3, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  6. william

william Guest

my g3 is not a clamshell, uhm sir but i can install tiger???
    were can i buy new ram for my unit?
    and a processor to?
    thanks!!!
    can you refer someone can upgrade my unit???
    cheap???

7. makoy32000

makoy32000 Member

Eton Cyberpod Corinthian, Ortigas Pasig City
    Why do I always hear about the "being gentle with the power button"?
    I've used my iBook for months already and I keep on pressing it everytime I start and shut down the iBook. When it goes to sleep, will it consume battery or not? Maybe I should start using the sleep function from now on...

8. rsnox1

rsnox1 Member

It will consume your battery.
    my macbook at full charge and let it sleep for about 8 hours ( adaptor not plug in ) will consume around 10 percent of my battery power.

9. makoy32000

makoy32000 Member

But if I press it very gently, will something happen?
    I mean, why did Apple place the power button there if it's going to affect the board?
    But so far, I have no problems with my set up...

10. macdrive007

macdrive007 Well-Known Member

It's a design flaw. You can google "iBook video logic board defect" and you will find that in response, Apple extended the warranty of concerned iBooks - but that extended warranty too has already expired. You can also google how Denmark won a case over Apple regarding this when their scientists proved the video-logicboard defect is connected to the power button. Google also the candle over the video chip solution for those units whose video chips have given up/loosened up. These issues were also discussed in previous threads here in philmug, you can search them for more stories.

#10 macdrive007, Mar 3, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  11. makoy32000

makoy32000 Member

Ok... But maybe I'll stick with what I'm doing..
    I don't want it to sleep because I leave the house and it might get too hot and explode.. Who knows? Just a safety precaution..

12. william

william Guest

sir were can i buy a higher ram for mine???
    thnx!!! can ynzal help me out??

13. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

I have late 2004 iBook G4 12.ghz. Is this afflicted with the power button/logic board problem?

14. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

hello william, i have 512mb pc133 sdram sodimm for your ibook g3. text me at 09167918924 if interested.