I have a MBP from 2006!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by peterd, Aug 12, 2014.

1. peterd

peterd New Member

Hi guys!

I've been a lurker here for so long and just wanted to post something that I've realized recently..
    The MBP I've been using is from all the way from 2006! I checked it's model identifier and its a MacbookPro 1,1 its the first Macbook Pro model! Bam! I'm amazed on this thing's longevity! I'm still using it after 8 years... Or maybe that should be attributed to my patience? or wallet? hahaha! Yeah, it's banged up and slow compared to current models but it is still usable! I still do some Ps and Ai work with it but this thing doesn't like html 5, or java, or 1080p video... haha! Hopefully I can update to a new model very soon!

Anyone here still using their relics? I knew people before who still had their old powerpc when intel macs were getting really popular.

Now, when I do get a new mac, what to do you guys think I could or should do with this one?

2. makinao

makinao Active Member

If you get a new one, keep the old one as a backup, or a server of some sort. I have a 2004 iBook and I use it for all-day looping presentations.

3. miggyhipolito

miggyhipolito Active Member

Keep it until it becomes a collector's item :)

4. peterd

peterd New Member

I might have to find a "latero" to do some cosmetic fixing.. haha!

5. zero.

zero. Active Member

I used to have the final iteration of the Powerbook, a 15-inch G4, that was the predecessor of the Macbook Pro. I regret selling it. Could have been a piece for a mini-museum I'm planning to build. :p

6. josecarlo1129

josecarlo1129 Active Member

I still have my Macbook pro 1,1. First to obtain an Intel chip (I believe). Surely, will keep it. Hope you do to. :)

Cheers.

7. panis

panis Well-Known Member

I still have my first generation Macbook black, which I bought second hand in 2007. One of my daughters is still using it although the track pad is no longer functioning and she has to use my Apple Magic Mouse.

8. vr4_211

vr4_211 Member

nice! good for you guys! i can only wish my 2013 13" mba lasts that long too... *crosses fingers*

9. emilgadiano

emilgadiano Member

I still have my white macbook bought late 2006. haha. It is still working!

10. s2pid_kid

s2pid_kid Member

i have a macbook late 2007 it might still be working if I can do a reformat but I need to have an external usb. Im not used to how mac work if it would boot using usb in order to reinstall the OS like that of Windows. Correct me if im wrong.

11. ramil

ramil Active Member

I still have my iMac 2006, and I still use it as my primary work computer. I edit photos and videos with it. Its 1.83 GHz Core Duo processor is already quite slow, its 160GB HDD is just not enough, its 17" screen is small compared to today's standards, and it still uses Snow Leopard (can't be upgraded). But, it is still usable!

I'm looking forward to the next iteration of the iMac. I'm still thinking what to do with my current iMac after I get the new one.

12. j6l_hanopol

j6l_hanopol Active Member

I still have my 2006 White MB. :) iPhoto and iMovie still works fine. Unfortunately I've replaced my battery twice and now I'm using it with Power adapter only.