How Your Devices Could Become Part of Bot-Nets

Discussion in 'General OT' started by lamski, Oct 22, 2016.

1. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

Having read about yesterday's denial of service attacks using bot-nets made up of Internet of Things devices, I decided to check my modem router's logs and I see a bunch of these alerts:

Googling the alert led to information (http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/607966-D-Link-Modem-Log-kernel-intrusion) that these logs indicate that hackers are trying to scan for open ports (the DPT entry) on my router. They say that this indicates that the router is doing its job and is harmless. They also advised to be weary if the router keeps dropping the internet connection. This might be an indication that your router has been hacked.

Always make sure that your internet-connected devices are not using the default login credentials.

2. amg99

amg99 Active Member

People really need to be aware of the risk in not changing default login credentials, especially on routers. But that's just one step on the right direction. More information can be found here: http://routersecurity.org .

Regarding IoT BotNets though, it's not just the issue of default login credentials. There are devices with Telnet and SSH passwords hardcoded into the firmware and the only remedy is to unplug them.

I wonder how many devices in the country are part of the attack.

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/10/hacked-cameras-dvrs-powered-todays-massive-internet-outage/

lamski likes this.
  3. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

When installing a router, don't plug it online yet. Change the username and password first. There are bots that scan IPs and once it finds the right credentials, it starts to work on that. There are reports in a forum I visited, that this is the case.

4. amg99

amg99 Active Member

greta87 likes this.
  5. amg99

amg99 Active Member