How to work SCUMM games on OSX macs

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by farankoshan, Jun 16, 2008.

1. farankoshan

farankoshan Member

I'm an old-time follower of all the SCUMM/point n' click adventures that used to take up most of our time in front of the computer. Back when we'd go to Brochure in GHills to disc munch the latest point 'n click game from Lucasarts or Sierra and bring 'em home on floppies for our PCs or Macintoshes...

Now things are different. Especially for Macs. Now, I'm no computer wiz,so I wouldn't know where to start to get my SCUMM games to work.

I've heard from forums around the net, and through some amazon comments, that the old Mac games can't work on the new Macs. It's something that had to do with OSX, and how the coding is different...or some hubbub like that.

Please, if anyone here knows how to get Indiana Jones: The Fate of Atlantis working on my G4 Powerbook, I'd be most grateful.

I managed to hear about scummVM, which, "which allows you to run certain classic graphical point-and-click adventure games, provided you already have their data files. The clever part about this: ScummVM just replaces the executables shipped with the games, allowing you to play them on systems for which they were never designed!" (see www.scummvm.org)

Again, I'm no computer wiz, so please explain it to me in layman's terms how to go about making a game like Fate of Atlantis work. Sure, one could find some files through torrents or legitimate means, but what then if OSX will just give you an error screen? I'd appreciate some step-by-step wakthroughs, FAQs, and some common mistakes one could make when installing the programs & games. But in the end, I just wanna be able to play Fate of Atlantis, Loom, Monkey Island....ah, the list just goes on... LucasArts ought to be played by so many of us. ;)

"Help me, Philmug community...you're my only hope."

#1 farankoshan, Jun 16, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  2. alistair

alistair Member

I downloaded The Secret Monkey Island (legally, and for free) from Softpedia. All I had to do then was extract that ZIP file.

After downloading and installing ScummVM I just ran it and clicked "Add game.." on the main menu then pointed it to the folder where I extracted TSMI and voila!

"Deep in the Carribean, the Island of Mêleé..."

(Now if only I knew where I to find Fate of Atlantis... ;)

3. castoclown

castoclown Member

That also worked for me. Just installed the SCUMM app and added the game in the console menu then WHAM! I was playing Day of The Tentacles! Wee!

Are you using an intel mac?
    Did you encounter any errors or problems? What did it say?

4. mindsport

mindsport Member

Yup, as already mentioned, its as easy as installing the ScummVM app and then adding the game. Everything works smoothly, I've managed to play Monkey Island 1 and 2, Day of the Tentacle, and Sam & Max already. (What I really want to play again though is Grim Fandango) Aaahh they don't make 'em like they used to...

5. mousehole

mousehole Active Member

this post just gave me an old-school geek-gasm :O

6. jemt111

jemt111 Member

Thanks for the tips, guys. I used to be an avid fan of those games mentioned. Brings back the good 'ol days!

7. tdbur

tdbur Member

where can i download days of the tentacle and sam and max? i miss those old games :)

8. farankoshan

farankoshan Member

Thanks for all the info, guys! I'm headed seek out scumm...not so much villainy. :p

(these Tatooine references are driving me nutz!)