How to transfer data from old phone's sim card to iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and Apple Watch' started by i8iphone8i, Aug 31, 2011.

1. i8iphone8i

i8iphone8i New Member

I recently got the new iPhone 4 but it doesn't have my contacts and old text messages etc. I previously had the iPhone 3gs. When I upgraded my iphone 3gs to iphone 4 they gave me a new sim card but it was basically a replica of my old sim card (eg.same number).

2. justinred

justinred Member

iPhones do not store SMS and Contact data in the sim card. It stores them on the phone itself. To transfer data from your 3Gs to iP4, connect 3Gs ti itunes, right click the device in left panel and choose back up. Then connect iP4 to itunes, right click device and restore from back up.

3. minic

minic New Member

You can do with your itunes for it you have to put them on your itunes.iTunes will backup everything on the iPhone.
    In iTunes, with the iPhone selected on the left, click the Info tab and make sure Contact syncing is enabled.

4. lan0.sky0

lan0.sky0 New Member

all you should have dne was backup the 3gs and then setup the new iphone 4 as the old iphone as itunes stores all this info and not the sim card.

5. carriolan

carriolan New Member

iPhones do not store SMS and Contact data in the sim card. It stores them on the phone itself. To transfer data from your 3Gs to iP4, connect 3Gs ti itunes, right click the device in left panel and choose back up. Then connect iP4 to itunes, right click device and restore from back up.

6. whitemug

whitemug Member

what if you're transitioning from a different phone unit (in my case, a nokia) to the iphone? is there an easy process to
    transfer the data, especially my contacts list, vs manually copying all the people & numbers to the new unit?

@i8iphone8i: i hope i'm not hijacking your thread or anything like that with my question.;)

7. poison_ivy

poison_ivy Member

Go to settings->mail,contacts,calendar->import SIM contacts.

From your Nokia phone, you can copy contacts to SIM card.

8. wantiphone

wantiphone Member

PhoneCopy app is very useful. it has cross platform function so it works on android, windows, iOS, symbian, blackberry... etc. it's always on the cloud as well.

9. adie

adie New Member

You cannot copy iPhone contacts to SIM, it simply doesn't work that way with the iPhone.

If you still have your old iPhone you can sync iPhone contacts via iTunes and say your address book. Then sync your Address Book back to your new iPhone (again via iTunes). Have a look at this article for various ways to manage iPhone contacts and transfer contacts from one iPhone to the next.

10. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

Guys, I want to export my iPhone contacts to Address Book. Can I do this? Seems Google Contacts cannot export to Address Book of OS X.

Or can I access my iPhone contacts in my mac?

11. dstolo

dstolo New Member

Use iCloud to sync contacts from iPhone to your Mac with ease.

12. Chayster

Chayster Member

13. priya

priya New Member

iOS does allow importing of contacts from a SIM card (Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Import SIM Contacts), but iOS does not store contacts on a SIM card, so if you upgrade from one iPhone to another, there is nothing to import from the SIM card, because there is nothing stored on it to begin with. The correct way to transfer data from one iPhone to another is via iTunes backup/restore.

14. gonner

gonner New Member

The iPhone can't actually read messages from the SIM card, you need to back it up to your machine and set the iPhone 4 up with the 3GS backup

15. Chayster

Chayster Member

Now i realized how easy iCloud was. Before pinoproblema ko din magtransfer ng contacts dahil antagal magbackup ng iCloud manually. Un pala everytime your gadget is plugged in (charging) and is connected to Wifi iCloud works in the background, kaya when i bought my IP5 and sign in my icloud in a matter of minutes andun na agad contacts ko!

16. kukukim

kukukim New Member

There are two ways you can give it a try. To put it simple, what you need to do is back up the old phone, and then restores the new one to this backup using iCloud or iTunes. If you have an iCloud account; make sure your devices use iOS 5 or later and transfer the data via iCloud. If not, and one or both your iPhones use a version of iOS earlier than iOS 5 or if you don't have an iCloud account, try the iTunes. Go here to transfer the data via iTunes and iCloud.

17. Smithmartin

Smithmartin Account Suspended
    ERASED FROM EXISTENCE

iPhone 3GS doesn't default to saving contacts on the SIM card, as there is limited space to store them, and SIM cards don't allow multiple numbers per name (e.g., iPhone number + Home + Office), so the odds are, if you didn't specifically copy them to your SIM card, they likely aren't there.
    You can get the contacts database and the SMS history database themselves off the iPhone if it's been jailbroken, just use something like DiskAid / iFunBox / iPhoneBrowser to pull the actual database files (locations and names are around on the forum, just do a search), then drop them onto the new phone and reboot it. It should then overwrite all data in those databases existing on the phone with copies from your old phone, for example: How to recover deleted contacts from iPhone without backup

#17 Smithmartin, May 26, 2013
    Last edited: May 26, 2013
  18. Rose A. Amidon

Rose A. Amidon New Member

Here I have a phone transfer which can help you transfer pictures, music, movies and other files from iPhone to Android, from android to android etc. You can download it and try it by yourself. Then you can decide whether to continue using it.

iPhone to Android is the best and most efficiency transferring software with which you are allowed 100% backup your iPhone to Android, contacts, SMS, call logs, photos, music, videos and apps between iPhone and Android, nothing will be forgotten and left on your iPhone. Real-time operation solves all your confusion before the transferring, safe, fast and easy.

Therefore, I'm sure it can help you solve your problem and you can try this transfer first and then decide whether to continue using it.

19. Namurin

Namurin Account Suspended
    ERASED FROM EXISTENCE

There is a program called Android SMS to iPhone Transfer lets you move and merge sms from android to iphone messaging app. Transferring sms from old iphone to a new iphone is also supported.

#19 Namurin, Aug 18, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  20. magnus

magnus Active Member

wow. halukay ube.