How to secure MacBook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by 11Finger, Jul 2, 2013.

1. 11Finger

11Finger Member

hi guys, for those who are out in public places or travel a lot. How do you secure your MacBook Air's given that it has no clip for a Kensington Lock ?

2. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

Most people just bring it with them and never leave on the table.
    It's small enough naman, just slightly larger than an iPad.

There are cases that gives some kind of lock, but it adds bulk to the whole thing. Try to google "Kensington Macbook Air".

See some samples below.

I've never seen them in the wild though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. macsurge730

macsurge730 Well-Known Member

When I do some work in the coffee shop, I always ask the guard to look after my MBA when I need to go to the rest room and I will order something. If there is no guard around, just as Sir Leo said, I bring with me my MBA. I practically go out of town (work-related and never a vacation) ;) every weekend, I always carry my bag and never leave it. I put the MBA with case logic or Powerpee leather sleeve in the middle of my clothes just in case something happen like fall etc., my clothes can protect my MBA.

4. sbuckspodium

sbuckspodium Member

Please don't leave your valuables unattended!

5. bisdak

bisdak Well-Known Member

I've never had any laptop on a "leash," just my pit bull. :) Yeah, don't leave it unattended. And of course install tracking software, Find My Mac, Prey, etc.

6. panis

panis Well-Known Member

I just carry my MBA wherever I go, even to the CR when I am working in a coffee shop. And I carry it with its sleeve inside my pac safe bag.

7. Kiko

Kiko Well-Known Member

Those kensington locks though thry can be readily cut with a large bolt cutter saved my compaq once. A portion of the plastic around the lock slot of the laptop was broken but the metal part held on and deterred the theft. These locks could deter a would be thief who accidentally saw a chance to steal a computer (a thief by opportunity if there is such a term) but is no match for one who steals for a living.

8. 11Finger

11Finger Member

That's basically what I do now with my 11" MBA (and yes even to the restroom), but there are times when you just can't bring it with you or is impractical especially now that I'm getting a 13" model.

9. 11Finger

11Finger Member

How does "Find My Mac" work ? Does the MBA have GPS ?

10. coolpix32

coolpix32 Active Member

I'd rather bring mine than ask the guard to look after my stuff.

A thief only needs to create a distraction, e.g.: ask an accomplice to talk to the guard, and in that few seconds of distraction, can easily stash your MBA instantly. Better safe than sorry I always say.

For me, I always bring my MBA with me when i need to leave my table. I just leave unimportant and invaluable items to reserve the table.

11. lmd052300

lmd052300 Member

Just leave it in home or if you bring it with you just be vigilant with the kawatans :)

12. 11Finger

11Finger Member

That's true, and it's not as if you can sue the store if ever that happens, even if you ask the whole staff to look after your stuff...

13. 11Finger

11Finger Member

14. bisdak

bisdak Well-Known Member

Not sure with Find My Mac, but I'm using Prey. You install it BEFORE your Mac is stolen, of course. Just in case it's stolen, you log online, mark your Mac as stolen. Then at your pre defined intervals, it'll take a picture of the user via your Mac's camera, capture what's on the screen, and mail these to you. So there's a big chance you'll capture the thief opening email, fb, bank acct, etc, and you'll get the name. Prey will attempt location via wifi hotspot location, but I suppose that's not very reliable here in Pinas.

15. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

MBA ? Bring it with you all the time when out in public. It's light enough to be carried around anyway

16. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

This solution looks interesting... The ThinkSafe Locking System from PNY. Costs USD29.99.

[​IMG]

17. jesusluison

jesusluison Active Member

Your MBA / MBP / Ipad2~4 / Phones & Gear..... ALWAYS BRING THEM ALONG WITH YOU WHERE EVER YOU GO... NEVER LEAVE THEM IN CARS, TABLES, COUNTERS, ETC...

Treat them like cash... If you leave them unattended in public... they are sure to be taken away by criminals...

18. feldmben

feldmben New Member