How to remove a stripped screw

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by mikaelrules, Jul 23, 2009.

1. mikaelrules

mikaelrules Member

Hi,

I have a friend who tried to replace the hard drive his Unibody Macbook. However, as he was trying to remove the screw which holds the drive in place, the screw head was stripped and now he can't take it out. Does anyone know what store can remove the screw for a cheap price or if there is any tool which can remove the screw? Power Mac charges 1,000 pesos for the removal of the screw.

Thanks!

2. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

hmmm you could try brining it to ynzal or digital walker.

3. RC

RC Active Member

Try using a dremel tool to make a notch, depending on how stripped the screw head is...

Or you can also try drilling the screw out(although this isn't standard practice in worst cases this is done)

4. mikaelrules

mikaelrules Member

We already tried asking Ynzal, they didn't have the tools to remove the screw. Any idea if Digital Walker can do it?

Yeah, we thought about using a dremel. Now time to look for someone who has a dremel :p

5. ctferndo

ctferndo Member

You may bring it to a machine shop and ask them to drill the screw out. They should use a drill press and the diameter of the bit is small enough to drill the screw. Don't use a hand drill or electric screwdriver since it will be unstable.

A hobby or modeling shop should be able to do this.

6. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Pics please. Is there room for a dremel wheel? How big is the screw. Is it countersunk or exposed head?

If there is room, the screw can be slotted. Then use a suitable flat head screwdriver. The dremel wheel has about an inch diameter. IF you use a worn wheel, it's diameter will be smaller and should make a cut without much damage to the surrounding area.

The original offer of P1000 to remove it is not bad, assuming they will not damage the Mac. I have extensive experience with a Dremel but I will not touch a beautiful unibody Mac.

In my rc hobby, some people try to glue a screwdriver or some suitable shaft using epoxy. Then twist it out. But this only works if the screw isn't on tight or secured with thread lock.

7. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

I think I know what happened. Your friend used a Phillips driver for the Torx #T6 screw of the HDD mounting. A big no no! Your best bet is to drill out the messed up screw with a micro-bit and very steady hands. That's easy to do because the Torx screws are thin and short (meaning don't drill too deeply). But if your friend is DIY-challenged, then a trip to PMC with P1,000 in his pocket will solve his problem.

8. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

@soloworx: I was wondering myself which screw they could have stripped. I went over to iFixit to see the HDD replacement guide for the unibody and it was either the Philips head screw that holds the HDD bracket in place
    [​IMG]
    or the Torx screws that are on the HDD mounting.
    [​IMG]

From the TS' description, I thought that it was the Philips screw that got stripped,
    since if it was the Torx screws, you could conceivably use a pair of needle-nosed pliers to get them out (I did this the first time I upgraded the HDD on my Whitey).

The problem here is, once you get the screw out, hopefully you can get a replacement screw if it's the bracket screw that's been stripped. Or can the MB HDD function okay without the bracket in place?

9. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

You're right RafC, so let's wait for the TS to confirm which one got messed up. For replacement screws, I believe, it's easy to find screws from the excess parts bins of computer shops.

Anyhow, here are some DIY sites to help you out:

http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-a-Stripped-Screw

http://www.stretcher.com/stories/990927j.cfm

http://www.stretcher.com/stories/990927j.cfm

Also, if you wish to drill out the screw, be sure to use a drill stand (to ensure a perfectly square 90º penetration), and a depth stopper (to prevent drilling too deeply).

10. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

OT: Is it just me or does the guy in the video in this link kinda look like Bill Gates?

"I'll drill your MacBook for you! Mwahahahaha!" ;)

11. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

OT: As my 12-year old son would say, 'Chuck Norris can solve anything!' Ha ha!

12. mannyespejo

mannyespejo Active Member

Wouldn't it be McGyver? Menemis(my name is) McGyver? :p

13. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Where is PMC?

14. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

^ PMC: Power Mac Center

You can try their various branches. The one I frequent is their branch in Greenbelt 3.

15. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Chuck Norris is the in thing, a modern phenomenon among kids in the Internet. Like, 'Jesus turned water into wine, but Chuck Norris turned it into beer.' Or Chuck can beat Leonidas of Sparta, or Wolverine even. Or the question when one is faced with a huge problem, 'What would Chuck Norris do?' Or that Chuck Norris swore off sky diving because one Grand Canyon is enough.

But that super OT! Sorry...

16. mikaelrules

mikaelrules Member

Hi guys,

You're right. It's the Philips screw that hold the hard drive in place (1st pic). So I guess our best bet is to either locate a dremel, or just get Power Mac to do it. :)

17. DENCIO888

DENCIO888 Member

any updates from the TS? which Power Mac branch quoted the 1t for removing the screw? I also had a stripped screw head on my PB al

18. wiretap_MD

wiretap_MD Member

This is related to the post, albeit applied in a different field...

I encounter a lot of stripped screws or broken screwheads in my orthopaedic practice. These are usually screws used to fix the stainless plate implant to bone to reduce and fix a fracture. Galvanic corrosion as well as errors in the index procedure usually rendered the screw heads stripped or the screw broken that it usually becomes a hassle to remove if the patient wishes to have the implants removed someday.

I use a tool similar to one in the picture below:

[​IMG]

Its called a screw extractor. This can be bought at either True Value/Handyman/Ace Hardware. The drill thread is in a reversed configuration when you drill in the extractor to engage the screw/screwhead. Once engaged, you then reverse your drill to remove the screw together with the extractor.

My set had a variety of sizes. Try to check out the shops I mentioned. Its a good tool to keep anyway. You never know when you need to use it again.

19. nydge

nydge Member

I experienced this last year and I brought my PB G3 to a JVC Service Center since there is no authorized Apple Center in Bicol. I brought it to a Sony Service Center first but unfortunately, they refused.

The JVC technician used a small plier, twisted the screw slowly and it was off! I think the technician is used to removing stripped screw heads. The good thing was, when I asked how much, he smiled and said "kahit 3 Fortune lang Sir".

With my delight on his job well done, I gave the guy a hundred bucks. =)

20. DENCIO888

DENCIO888 Member

I went to D.Hub today, brought my Pb for the tech to check it out if they can remove the screw, sadly they refused and was told they dont have the tool, so I went to Powermac, after a few try using some of their screwdriver, no luck
    To TS have you fixed your stripped screw?

@wiretap

Ill try to look for those drill, when you say reverse drill I have to drill it in a reverse way or just plug the drill bit to a hand drill and slowly power it on.