How to print using a shared printer in Win XP using Mac???? HELP

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by emcue, Jun 30, 2007.

1. emcue

emcue Member

I am using a macbook, basically I have a printer that is connected to a desktop computer that has printer sharing enabled, when i use my old laptops or other computers, i can print using old windows printer sharing, all computers are connected to each other via network router, but now that i am using mac, I cant find a way to connect to the printer, my printer is canon pixma ip3000, it is shared. any help will be appreciated! THANKS!!!!!

2. quietcynic

quietcynic Member

Open System Preferences, click on "Print & Fax," and click the plus sign to add a printer. On the dialog window that comes up, click "More Printers..." Choose "Windows Printing" on the top dialog; the bottom list should populate with computer names. Choose the name of the computer that is sharing the printer, and the printer should appear. Choose the printer.

Now comes the tricky bit. If you print a test page and it come out all messed up, you're going to have to go back and choose the printer driver. Hopefully it won't come to that.

Anyway, give a try and let us now it works out.

3. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

@emcue

use search function... hehehe :p

4. emcue

emcue Member

in the printer dialog box, below the Windows Printing list, under Printer Model, should I choose the manufacturer or use generic? Using HP and Canon printers. Thanks!

5. ricocamus

ricocamus Member

Set it up the way you normally set up a printer. Choose the printer maker and model number that are appropriate.

If you can't find the correct model number you may need to download updated drivers from the manufacturers website.

6. -d-stig-

-d-stig- Member

besides you have to log on to the pc sharing the printer from the mac using the username log on for that pc before you can print

7. emcue

emcue Member

Ok, I added the printer already, but the problem is, right now it says something like NT_USER_ACCESS_DENIED or something, what is the next step? Thanks!!!!!

8. koppee1

koppee1 Active Member

i actually have the same problem. my printer is an mp160. Connecting the mp160 via usb to the ibook lets me print without problems (the printer is detected and i guess uses the drivers that came with osx)...but trying to add it using windows printing doesn't show the drivers for the mp160. it just shows the gimp drivers....how do i use the built in drivers for it?

EDIT

nevermind. i got it to work
    1. you will need the printfab drivers
    2. when you go to print and fax setup, press option key when you click "more printers"
    3. choose windows printing with samba
    4. choose the printfab canon/epson etc... drivers...choose specific printer
    5. smb://[email protected]/computername/printername
    5.1 username=login name for windows box
    5.2 workgroupname=home network name...eg. home or mshome
    5.3 computername = computer name where printer is connected
    5.4 printername = name of printer being shared...

#8 koppee1, Jul 7, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
  9. emcue

emcue Member

what is the usual username? because on our network , basically everyone can use the printer without using user names or anything.

10. koppee1

koppee1 Active Member

i think if there is no user name...you can use anything? I'm not too sure...i just put whatever in mine and the computer had no user name as well...i used the name of the desktop computer as the user name

11. m0nster

m0nster New Member

I had the same problem. I had to put user name and password of the Windows XP Admin. But since you don't need to enter anything at logon, type in user name your Administrator Account Name (it's the name you see right on top when you click on the start button) and password blank. Good luck!

12. poka

poka Member

Hi! I have leopard installed. My epson cx5500 is connected to a pc. And I can connect to the pc via router.
    I want to print from my imac.
    I added the printer (system preferences, print and fax, windows printer...chose printer, chose specific driver).
    However, when I print, the status on the print queue shows that, initially it prints then it stops. So status is "stopped". And nothing prints on my printer. Sometimes... one line of text and some characters are printed.

Anyone knows how to fix this?
    thanks a lot

13. quasar

quasar Active Member

emcue, what is the OS of the computer to which the printer is connected?