How to migrate to Canada without any relatives/friends

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Yagbolz, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Ejaxene

Ejaxene Well-Known Member

Might be worth a shot especially as it could be a pathway to lead you back to Aussie... I'm sure you've done the research. Who knows there might be an employer that would value a very experienced employee like you would be. That's the hardest part in NZ, to find that employer but once you do at least the hardest part is done. Some other families that I met here... yung "less skilled" yung pinag-aaral then the "more skilled" half of the couple will be on an open work visa and will be in a better position to find the permanent work.

Mykolant likes this.
  2. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

I'll take your masters and exchange you my age.

Seriously, you don't necessarily have to take a PhD. You can take another post-secondary course or another masters, can't you?

I agree on the difficulty of finding an employer to get you that work contract you can use to sponsor a visa. Unless there's a mass shortage for a specific job (i.e., lack of caregivers in Ontario recently) or they need to fill an extremely specific role (i dunno... doctor in nanomaterial tech..?), this is a moon shot.

3. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    Call!I

I'll take your age in exchange for my masters.

I think immigration (both Australia and Canada) will key in to the probability that a 50+ year old applying for a student visa to take another post-grad course is only looking at a pathway to residency. Chances for approval are very low in this circumstance.

But then again, stranger things have happened.

4. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

In a stunning development, this government is asking for volunteers to accompany all the trash Canada benevolently sent to us and will be returned this June 1 by ship. It will be a two-week journey though and the stink of the garbage will permeate every waking hour of your life onboard. The good news is you get two weeks to stay in Canada free of charge, courtesy of the Trudeau government.

This isn’t a satire, but if it’s actually true, it’ll be the first time Pinoys will thank the garbage for getting us elsewhere than our dump pits.

Mykolant and raypin like this.
  5. Mykolant

I'm headed North this weekend but not accompanying any rubbish. All set to embark on another adventure with the missus. We, instead of our kids, are leaving "home".

Good thing it's almost summer in Canada, and we plan to be out of there before it starts to get cold again!

I'll get to catch the NBA Finals and Canadian Grand Prix in real time, albeit on TV!

6. wingatu

wingatu Active Member

Funny thing is that Philippines need permission from China to allow the shipment of garbage to Canada according to Locsin. What if China refuse because the shipping company is Canadian?

It's actually a lost opportunity to the Philippines. Suppose to be we are going to be a recycling facility for recyclable materials from Canada because China is no longer or not allowed to accep recyclable materials. The government could have handled it better.

I think when migrating to Canada, check Quebec because there is lesser competition due to French requirement.

7. cHad

cHad Member

sorry to hijack this thread, but does anyone have any tips on migrating to new zealand (also without any relatives)?

8. Mykolant

Try backreading through this thread.

Better yet, go direct to the NZ Immigration website courtesy of Google search.

9. hitme64

There’s a thread on Australia-New Zealand which you can go over and ask about regarding your concern.

From what I know, it’s easier going to NZ than some other countries, PROVIDED, you are either a doctor, geodetic engineer, agriculturist, or pastor. That’s what I know from previous employment extracts from NZ counterparts.

10. p.pipster

...but you do have to be a French speaker to get a good chance of being nominated as an immigrant in Quebec.

Also, the reason the trash is being returned is because it was supposed to be recyclable... but then they were just waste materials.

@Mykolant safe travels! I hope you guys figure out a way to gain foothold here.

Mykolant, hitme64 and raypin like this.
  11. Mykolant

@p.pipster Thanks! We shall explore that option when and if there is an opportunity to do so legally. For now, pasyal-pasyal muna dahil may time!

Will try to go on the Raptors bandwagon para dehin out-of-place, hehe! Cheers!

hitme64 and raypin like this.
  12. hitme64

You actually get to experience the difference between two countries right at the border city of Niagara Falls. On the US side, a lot of boisterous tourists and a lot of trash around, elderly people taking the parks and young schoolchildren enjoying the field trips there. On the Canada side, less tourists and people going about, but there are more shops, restaurants and business establishments, and trash properly disposed and cleaned up. There’s also an inordinate presence of the RCMP, those guys in red who are more imposing and Instagrammable than the local Niagara Falls Police Department on the other side.

Mykolant likes this.
  13. Mykolant

UPDATE:

Just wanted to share here that the wife and I finally "succeeded" in transplanting our lives to Canada!!

After leaving Sydney, Australia for good last June and being nomads in Canada and the US these past 7-8 months, we finally received our Canada work permits a couple of weeks ago. We flew to Halifax, Nova Scotia last Sunday and have been here for a week -- experiencing snow, ice, freezing snow and frost-biting winds! But it's all good!

We got in through the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program --- Google it for detailed info. It lets you apply for a work permit once you get a job offer from a designated employer in the region. Once you have the work permit, you can apply for permanent residency right away.

Didn't get the chance to see Niagara, though. We do miss our lives in Sydney, where the weather is always great and most things are less expensive, but nothing beats universal health care (which the gov't takes from the high taxes thus not really "free").

So from Down Under, I'm now in the Great White North!!

dopster00, Ejaxene, Dekra and 5 others like this.
  14. p.pipster

^ *applause* *fist bump*

I don't know you but, man, I am happy for you. This made my day (had a long working week).

I recall reading your posts here and thought what risk takers you and your partner are going up north with a lot of uncertainty. You did find a way in – congrats!

My wife and I are currently eyeing Halifax as well. Quicker pathway to permanent residency. We'll see; good to know we have that option.

Also... news about the Atlantic weather recently haVe been brutal. Be safe, guys.

15. Mykolant

Thanks, man! The wait was excruciating for us, but it was a hidden blessing as it gave us the time to reconnect with friends and family in the states that we hadn't seen in a very long time!

It was a big risk indeed but we looked at it as an exploratory trip that yielded excellent results.

If you can muster the patience, will, and resources to make the transition, then it will be well worth!! Would be great to have a fellow Mugger in town. There is a legit Apple Store here, although the prices are more expensive and sales tax is 15%!

It's a very cold place, true. We had freezing rain last Friday -- literally ice on the road and icicles falling off the trees and power lines! But the other seasons are great!

hitme64 and Ejaxene like this.
  16. Ejaxene

@Mykolant First of all congratulations! Would be really nice if you would share your experience in looking for a job and securing a work permit through AIPP.

Been looking at Canada too because while I love NZ, I've been feeling the call of home/family connections lately (I have more relatives in North America than here...). My immediate fam is in Pinas still and since I have no plans of settling back in Pinas---would love a country where it is easier to "sponsor" your parents to join you in your migration journey.

Mykolant and hitme64 like this.
  17. hitme64

To prepare for my eventual escape to Canada to seek asylum from n-CoV and mindless trolls, I make it a point to visit Tim Horton’s (whazzup Pasig!) and get acquainted with Canadian “great coffee and donuts.” ;) Never tire of their cheese bagels also.
    6064B64E-4F19-49E0-9DBD-EA336D983E3B.jpeg

Seriously, we have been thinking of Canada than the U.S. as a retirement place and probably a new venue of work for my daughter. I hear Canada is very conducive to artistic talents so am preparing my grandson to become a pianist. Or a drummer. Heck, he might as well start now for Canada’s Got Talent.

Ejaxene and Mykolant like this.
  18. Mykolant

Thanks @Ejaxene!!!

We left Sydney, Oz, in early June, a couple of weeks before my visa ran out.

We first went to Moncton, New Brunswick on the suggestion of a friend who moved there a year before also via AIPP. She said there is the strong likelihood of being hired if you are in-country, as opposed to applying from overseas. I did a couple of interviews but there were a few challenges: NB is officially bilingual so it won't help if you can't speak French; and all staff hiring for the hospitality industry under AIPP was put on hold.

So, we went online and applied for jobs in Halifax. My wife got a positive response from a child care centre there and first thing they asked is if we were in Canada and when can she come for an interview. Good thing Halifax was just a 3-hour drive from Moncton, and we already had plans to go there for my wife's IELTS exam, during the Canada Day weekend (July 1). We were extremely fortunate because the interview went well and my wife received a job offer. All this after about a month after we arrived in Canada!

We consulted a migration agent and we started preparing all the documents we need for application. Had to coordinate with former employers in Australia to get proper work history, etc., then NBI clearances, health check, etc. We went back to Moncton to prepare our things, and in mid-July moved with all our suitcases to Halifax -- rode the 4-hour Via Rail to get there!!

We decided to wait out the whole application process for the work permits in the US instead of in Canada. The agent applied for provincial nomination first after which they applied for our work permits through the Canada immigration office based in New York. We left for the US in mid-September and stayed with family in New Jersey, to justify our reason for applying via the NY office. There was a bit of delay and then inabutan na ng Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. Thus, after almost 5 months, we received our work permits end of January and hurriedly left New Jersey on the first weekend of February.

Arrived in Halifax on Groundhog Day and Super Bowl Day!!!

I admit it was an unconventional, risky, and expensive way of going about the whole thing. But we didn't want to go back to the Philippines without trying this out first. I felt we would lose our momentum if we had to go home to the PHL and apply from there. What helped a lot is that we had friends who gave advice and support, and then our relatives in the US agreed to "adopt" us during our excruciating wait for our papers.

But we did it and it was well worth it, even if we had to dig deep into our savings to make it happen.

hitme64, isaak, Ejaxene and 1 other person like this.
  19. Ejaxene

@Mykolant

High risk, high reward!

Just have to ask, did you and your wife check the AIPP employers list first before sending out CVs or did it just happen that the employer hiring for a position already is a designated employer?

No stranger to that kind of pathway, I arrived in NZ with no job at all--only had my youth as I entered here on a working holiday visa... maybe I can do it again. =) Thank you for the inspiration!

hitme64 likes this.
  20. hitme64

Technically we have the same plan @Mykolant and I actually started doing the legwork and research even before I retired. I applied for a police superintendent’s post with Ontario Provincial Police mid-2015 and completed a set of online interviews around 2017. OPP only gave feedback January last year that my application was on hold pending vetting with the Philippine government. A colleague who now works as a deputy in Toronto said it would be better and faster if I came stateside like he did (he was with the UN in NYC before getting the job). So that seems to be the plan now. But COVID19 kinda slammed the travel stateside for now so that post in Canada would’ve to wait.

Mykolant likes this.