How to migrate to Canada without any relatives/friends

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Yagbolz, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Nicky

Nicky Member

Then we have similar profiles, but I'm most likely older than you, so I have fewer points for my age. That's why I gave you the link to the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program, which I've already done to get my CRS to 1000+. :)

You also could have attended the New Brunswick session this weekend to qualify to apply to their PNP, and you can also move out like what sandybridge guy said.

In my opinion and experience, getting a provincial nomination is the easiest, fastest and sometimes cheapest way to get a quick boost in points. It's just a matter of striking when one opens.

#81 Nicky, Jan 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  2. mree

mree Well-Known Member

This question is not for an Immigrant Visa application, but just for Tourist.

I will be flying to the US this June 24th for business and I plan to do a side trip to Canada for a week. Does anyone know how long it takes for a tourist visa to get processed? Including receipt of passport if approved? I'm worried that given that I'll leave on the 24th, the processing may take too long that I wont get my passport back before I fly.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

3. kutsaratinidor

kutsaratinidor Active Member

You might be a bit on tight schedule given your departure date. If you can submit asap(like tomorrow), you might just be able to get your passport back before your flight. My girlfriend actually sent her application online yesterday, and she was told that its around 11 days for processing. But it might be shorter, because the blog we used for reference got his in just 2 weeks.

http://iwandered.net/2015/06/04/canada-tourist-visa-philippines/

The entry is not that old, but it seems to be still applicable for today's application process. Good luck!

4. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

My SIL's family were just here during the last week of March. They stayed for 10 days, but they stayed longer in Seattle (3 weeks) and they applied for CAD Visa when their US plane tickets are already booked. I think it took around 4 weeks of turnaround time before they got their visit visa.

Do you know anyone from here? Like a family or relative?

5. mree

mree Well-Known Member

Yes. My brother is already a citizen and lives in Amber Trail, Winnipeg. I was planning on visiting them but I guess i'm too pressed for time. I wanted to go this July because of the weather, but I guess I'd have to delay it until November when I go back to the US. I can't believe that their visa processing (end-to-end for approved) takes that long! Oh well! Some other time, then!

Thank you for your inputs sirs, @sandybridge_guy @kutsaratinidor

6. sandybridge_guy

No worries!

It'll be a "plus points" if you can get your brother to give you a Letter of Invitation to visit Canada. That way, he's kinda "vouching" for you which makes your approval seamless. That's what we did for my SIL's family as they've never been here before.

On a side note, ^ that article only applies (2 weeks approval) if you already possess a Canadian Visit Visa before and you're just getting a new one. I'd say its more harder to get nowadays since Canada is still one of the targets of ISIS. I knew at least 3 persons who already has multiple-entry US visas but got denied by the Canadian govt.

kutsaratinidor likes this.
  7. kutsaratinidor

Oh wow, makes sense. My girlfriend is planning to come end of the year. Hope all goes well.Thank you

#87 kutsaratinidor, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016
    sandybridge_guy likes this.
  8. kutsaratinidor

My girlfriend just got the passport request for her temporary visa application. :) Looking forward to December.

9. Nicky

Nicky Member

Bumping this thread in case anyone's started to consider, following the last election results....

There will be information sessions in Manila this coming month, and it is actually an advantage to not have any relatives in Canada:

http://livinginnb.ca

This is for the new Atlantic Pilot program for migration to the Atlantic provinces of New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland and Labrador.

Sunil_K likes this.
  10. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

Clarification: Not to have relatives in a province outside of the province you are trying to get into.

At first I found it weird but it actually makes sense:

"The Province of New Brunswick has a responsibility to select people who show a high likelihood of becoming economically established in the province. If you have first degree relatives in another province of Canada (brother, sister, parents) we strongly recommend you do not participate to our session and you contact the province where your family resides to inquire about their provincial immigration program."

11. Nicky

Nicky Member

Whoops, yeah that's what I meant but unfortunately I could have worded it better. Most Pinoys in Canada are based in BC, Ontario, Alberta, and Manitoba, so I was referring to that, but obtusely.

#91 Nicky, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  12. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

My sister in law became Canadian in less than two years. Then again, she's a doctor.

When I married her sister, I became Canadian as well:

Maglaba - Canadian
    Magluto- Canadian
    Maglinis - Canadian :D

triggerbokie likes this.
  13. MFD888

MFD888 Member

^can you please share how a Philippine Physician can migrate to Canada? Can you please ask your SIL? Thanks.

14. sandybridge_guy

15. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    Reviving this thread as a friend of mine recently got positive results applying via the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program.

If anyone here has successfully gone through this route, it would be great to share your experience here.

Cheers!

16. Ejaxene

Ejaxene Well-Known Member

My cousin’s application for New Brunswick is still processing but he isn’t under the AIPP.

He qualified for NB provincial nomination through the second stream which was for those who attended an NB info session...

17. Colange37

Colange37 New Member

It's my dream as well! Want to settle abroad with my husband and little one. Filing is already in process. Got desired score also in just one month's classes from ielts coaching in zirakpur last month. Their methods of teaching are great and all modules are covered daily. Even extra practice can be done in same fees. Fingers crossed for visa now.

18. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

I applied for a tourist visa, first time two weeks ago. I got my passport back (with a ten year visa valid for the whole passport validity) in 5 business days (paid for courier).

Good luck

19. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    I've heard about that NB info session from a friend, too.

20. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

Ok, buckle up. This is going to be a long one with twists and turns.

A little over 3 yrs ago, wife and I decided to work on migrating to a 1st world country. Conversation started with me just saying I'm tired of working at my then office, been looking around for almost a year and haven't found opportunities in the same city, would wanna try Manila but traffic-hell, so I'll try SG. She said, if I go all of us (including 3 kids) should go. And if we're uprooting ourselves, might as well work on migrating vs moving to a new city temporarily. She made sense and that started this road to X, in which X has yet to be defined.

I read a lot on the internet, talked to friends and did some introspecting. I decided then that my wife was right (they always are) but I also had my own rationalizations. I'd want my kids to obtain a "strong" passport so that when they go to college and/or look for work, they'd have plenty of options country-wise.

Euro countries, SG, US, Ca, NZ and Au always belong to the annual top 10 list of passport rankings. And as far as ease of migrating among those countries, Ca, NZ and Au are top 3 based on my research and in that order.

Also, climate change. Too complicated and controversial to discuss here but NZ and Ca are my top 2 countries to live amidst forecasted food shortages and warmer weather.

Lastly, someone mentioned somewhere in this forum that he/she wouldn't move to a country unless there's Amazon Prime.

All of that, Ca won. X = Canada.

Based on what I've read including in this forum, you submit your profile and just wait it out. In a few months time, you should receive and Invitation to Apply for Permanent Resident based on your pts which is derived from how young you are, skills you have, and education you've obtained. So we took IELTS, got our education assessments, got authenticated/notarized copies of docs and then submitted our profile. However, nothing.

Turns out, wife and I are now just a little older than most applicants, our education is meh and our skills aren't on demand. Another strategy that could help is to obtain a provincial nomination to get a boost in pts but to do that, you need to obtain a job offer which then goes back to your skills.

Our profile will expire Dec 2018, 2 yrs from when we submitted it. It had been 2 yrs of researching, applying for work overseas and waiting.

However, middle of the year this year we came across some friends who found another way in: student path.

TL;DR and to stay on topic: you can migrate to Ca, NZ and Au by applying to study at a college or university in those countries. If you get accepted (and it's easy to get admission), apply for 1, 2 or 3-yr student visa. Some of these visas have a 2 to 3-yr work permit allowance after. All of those years, you can use that as your pts to eventually apply for permanent resident. No family needed... well, except maybe for the financial help they can give.

And there's the rub. This path is expensive.

I run marathons and here's an analogy. When you're past the half-way point yet you're too tired and in pain to finish, you don't go back or just stop. You finish it. Doesn't matter how long it will take, just finish it.

And so we started getting the necessary paperwork to do the student path. As far as effort and expense, this path is probably 3x more than applying for permament residence through federal skills program. And there there's us, where it's myself, my wife and 3 kids so all effort and expenses are multiplied by 5 (after being multiplied by 3). Yes... total b*tch I tell you.

If you've done this before, you know how it's like a second full-time job: running around getting docs, researching on the internet at nights on end, talking to consultants and friends... all while going about your regular life. This was around June.

Then in July I found out I am being let go by my employer (redundancy) in 3 months' time. The good news is that there's going to be an influx of cash. Not enough but great anyway. The not so good news? Well, being unemployed.

So it was full steam ahead. My wife, we decided she will be the student, and I will be the "open worker". She got admitted to a school in Ontario last August. Worked on getting enough funds with plenty of false starts. But by then, THIS was the plan. And there wasn't much of a Plan B.

Bit of advise: if you can do this yourself, do it. Forget consultants. Because for us, our application for visas got delayed by an entire month because of them. I'll spare you the gory details.

We only got to submit the entire application package for all 5 of us on the last week of Nov. Wife's classes supposed to start 1st week of Jan 2019. Dec is a "dead month". These things take at least 6 weeks, they say. Yet, we submitted it anyway. Remember, marathon.

I've been working on the non-existent Plan B since Dec started. I still need to support the family, you know.

But this Monday, yes, this week, we received news that our visas were approved. All 5 of us. Everyone we know who knew about this is surprised. I am surprised. The whole premise of student visas, officially at least, is that you study there, work a bit and then go home. With all of us going there, without a job to go back to... makes you think why they would approve us.

Anyway, I am extremely stressed. Why? Sure, I am happy... but it's not like it is so easy for us to just pack up and fly at a drop of a hat; which is what this approval in the middle of a dead month, right before Christmas and a family wedding to go to right after, then fly out in new year's eve so we can be there when classes start, means for us. Writing about this here helping a little.

Again, back on topic. Yes, it's doable. Take it from a 36-yr old father of 3 and husband of 1 who's running amok in the city looking for winter clothes, selling off house appliances, looking for cheap flight tickets and arranging kids' despidad parties.