How to migrate to Canada without any relatives/friends

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Yagbolz, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Yagbolz

Yagbolz Well-Known Member

My wife and I are thinking of working/migrating abroad and Canada is one of our favored choice because of its lots of job offerings and I was told by a friend that having kids there will have their child care subsidy (we have 2 kids btw). A friend told me its easy to migrate in Canada especially when the whole family will apply and if you have relatives there. Problem is we don't have any relatives or any close friends there. Is it possible for us to migrate there without any relatives? Any other suggestions or advise on how to apply? Thanks

2. jaijin

jaijin Well-Known Member

Bro, this is exactly what I'm doing right now. Check this out.

Apply – Federal skilled workers

I have relatives there, and it's a plus factor, but I'm sure you can still apply even without them.

3. Yagbolz

Finally! hahaha

It's a big factor if you're planning to migrate there.. Lucky you bro! Unfortunately for us, we're not included in their list of skilled workers.. And another thing is that our job experience is not suited in our course or in our government is what they call job mismatch..

4. jaijin

jaijin Well-Known Member

Oh. Okay. Best thing maybe is to find another job, one that is in line with your degrees. This is if you're really bent on applying for emigration to Canada. Ako nga I have a gap of three years. I haven't been employed in a hospital since Feb 2011. I also have a Psychology degree, although I find it harder to look for jobs in line with that. Or maybe I just can't justify what HR people get paid with. Anyway, what were you and your wife's courses? And what do you do now?

5. Yagbolz

I have another friend there who is a nurse.. He's employed here at a hospital (don't know where exactly) while applying on going to Canada.. When he got there he enrolled again because they need board passers from Canada..

6. Yagbolz

Are you applying by yourself or do you seek assistance from an agency?

7. kaebee

kaebee Member

Agency would just help and advise you on what to do. They will go over your papers, and help "rephrase" some of the wordings if needed.
    If you have the required "points", i think you wont need an agency..

8. kutsaratinidor

kutsaratinidor Active Member

Hows your application for Canada via the FSWP? Any response from the embassy?

I'm actually in the process as well, and haven't received acknowledgement from there side. I had a consultant for my application, the same one my family talked to when my father applied. My age didn't make the cut so I had to apply as an independent.

9. putakti

putakti Active Member

I'm having a hard time doing this immigration on Canada. I have a sister living there for years now and I'm looking to migrate but she don't know how to help me. I know there's a plus factor when you have a relative in Canada but I don't know where to start. In addition to that, my line of work which is a Web Developer doesn't seem to be listed on their preferred jobs.

Am i right?

10. kutsaratinidor

kutsaratinidor Active Member

Yup. You gain additional points for having a relative in Canada, you also have to take an IELTS exam among other things.

I think your occupation will be considered under the NOC code 2174 Computer Programmer and Interactive Media Developers. If you will go thru the Federal Skilled Worker Program, I think its best to start early in the year, preparing documents, scheduling your IELTS exam, etc, because they begin accepting application during May and the cap for your line of work get filled up fast as early as June to August ,and there are only 300 slots worldwide per occupation.

And the list of considered professions change as well every year, for the processing of your application, I heard that there are online forums for those who are undergoing the process and you can consult them how they prepared for it. Or you can try to seek a consultant for it, that's the route I took, same for my family who are now in Canada since 2011.

11. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    Is there a way other than the Federal Skilled Worker program, esp if your line of work/skill isn't among those on the list?

12. extreme16199

extreme16199 Member

There's the provincial nominee program. The canadian provinces actively participating in this are manitoba and nova scotia. The Catch is you have to settle and live in the province that nominated you for 3 years, i believe.

13. extreme16199

extreme16199 Member

Just to broadly answer some questions that cropped up in this thread:
    1. Having relatives give you more points for the assessment, but it isn't very significant. If you receive sufficient points in other aspects then this shouldn't even matter.
    2. Having a lawyer/consultant doesn't have any impact on the processing speed of your application. They are only somewhat relevant (particularly immigration lawyers) when there are problems or complications that crop up during your application processing. Everything you need to know about immigrating to canada can be found in the cic.gc.ca website. I suggest that you just save your money instead of going through an immigration lawyer or consultant.

14. motoflux

motoflux Lemon Pepper Fan

Would it be better if I try to migrate first, before sending off my kids, wife and parents from Manila? Yay or Nay?

15. Jess

Jess PhilMUG Addict Member

around 5 years ago i considered migrating to Canada too. i was given an affidavit of support by my uncle there but i eventually passed up on the chance because my gf (now wife) don't want to leave PH. i think it would be easier if you have relative or a friend there but i know some classmates who got there without a relative or a friend.

i have a fellow CPA friend who migrated there. he mentioned he needs to take some studies first then take the board if he wants to be a CPA there too but he picked against going that route and immediately work. now he is a bookkeeper there ata and i think he and his family is very much happy naman.

16. jaijin

jaijin Well-Known Member

Check this out.

LINK

It's not that old. Barely a month ago, so I guess it's still good. Just saw it this morning.

17. Jim E.

Jim E. Member

Great thread! Picking up a lot. :)

18. extreme16199

extreme16199 Member

this is for the saskatchewan provincial nominee program. For more info on this, check this site: Saskatchewan Immigration - Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program . This link shows the appication intake thresholds as of 02 january 2014:
    Saskatchewan Immigration - SINP Application Intake Thresholds . Note that there are only 250 slots for international skilled workers without employment offers, so you may want to consider acting fast if this is the stream you are eyeing.

19. 650h2

650h2 Active Member

These links are vald for the April 30, 2014 batch deadline, Starting May 2014, a different set of conditions may apply

Federal Skilled worker route seems to be the easiest way to get to Canada ( unless you have about CAD$1m (?)
    This is a good place to start : Visa and Immigration

Federal Skilled Worker : Federal skilled workers
    too late now to make it to the April 30 batch deadline
    Best if you can get an Arranged Employment Order : Specific eligibility criteria – Federal skilled workers

For Quebec : Quebec-selected skilled workers

You will need at least 4 months to put together the requirements so start visiting the first link above April 30th when the current batch closes.

(may not be applicable after April 30) requirements with long lead time to fulfill, IELTS ( Engliash capacity test), Foreign Law Enforcement clearance if yo stayed in a place outside the Phils for a long period of time ( e,g, FBI clearance if you stayed for over 6 months in the US) , Educational Credential Assessment (ECA),

@Mike, you may want to try this: I have not tried this myself but here it goes: Do you want to come to Canada, or extend your stay?
    Answer a few questions to find out what immigration programs you can apply for. Each immigration program has different application and eligibility requirements. You will need about 10-15 minutes to complete the questionnaire.

Canada may want you in North America but they dont want you in their Embassy :). It is possible to get an immigrant Visa without setting foot in the Canadian Embassy in Manila

20. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    Thanks for this, Allan!

Will check it out soon.