How to make US flag invisible, and still type english

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by Tecson, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Tecson

Tecson Member

[​IMG]

Hey, Muggers.

i dont know if this is even possible but want to ask anybody how to hide, or just make the US flag invisible in the menu bar and still be able to type in english or/and easily switch language.

unchecking it from the language menu mean i hv to go to system prep everytime i want to use chinese text.so its not really a solution, is there a way to keep it there without the US flag.maybe a EN or wla tlagang choice.

now i have nothing against the US flag, its just that sometimes a want to keep the menu bar in the monochomatic colors, all black just like the text.

#1 Tecson, Jan 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  2. R-T

R-T Active Member

right click the flag.
    untick show in menu bar.

poof!

3. Tecson

Tecson Member

Hey R-T,
    thnks but i mean , i still want the language input , just dont want the" flag" :(

4. alistair

alistair Member

Have you tried using the keyboard shortcuts (I use the default Alt+Cmd+Space) to switch input locales (this is actually how I switch to QWERTY layout for my non-Dvorak guests)? Then turn off "show input menu in menu bar".

5. elbert

elbert Active Member

You can remove it from the menu bar by holding down the command button while dragging it away from the menu bar (the same way icons are removed from the Dock).

After that, to select language input, you'll need to go to the System Preferences and do it there.

I'm not sure if there's a keyboard shortcut to switch language.

6. Tecson

Tecson Member

Yes Alistair, but because i use a series of languages :), its kinda hard to remember where im at, and i have to click on several times to get to the right one. thats y still needs an indicator :)

7. Tecson

Tecson Member

yes Elbert, the short cut was pointed out by Alistair, (Alt+cmd+space) thnks Btw, very useful. but you sort of have to guess which one youre at, good for 2 to 3 selections but i have at least 5. Hehe

8. hqvq_jen

hqvq_jen Member

same problem here too:) thanks Elbert:)