How to live cashless in Metro Manila?

Discussion in 'General OT' started by vic2rp, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Same here.

There are many reasons you can't go totally cashless. One is, parking lots if you drive a car, If a restaurant suddenly only accepts cash, Pay restrooms, If you get caught by the MMDA :sneaky:.

2. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

I think a cashless society is discriminatory and biased given the percentage of tech-phobic seniors (like my parents) and people without the facilities to a bank or credit account (like 69% of our society)...besides, some transactions aren't meant to be paid thru cards or beeps or electronic cash, say, buying "Coke Sakto" from your sari-sari store for less than ten bucks is easier to pay in coins than a beep of your smartphone...

A cashless society is a utopia, maybe a dystopia if others look at it that way, but for the moment, this isn't going to be the case...yet

potpot2 likes this.
  3. Aargh

Aargh PhilMUG Addict Member

What I sometimes about those merchants that only accepts cash is that they themselves sometimes do not have cash as panukli. Some would actually just refuse to sell to you because of that lame reason.

Sunil_K likes this.
  4. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

OT: Mm...beware of the...ehem....MMDA trap in the intersection of Gilmore and Santolan. The traffic signal changes from green to red while backed-up vehicles going to South-bound Ortigas are still crossing. Perfect timing....for them o_O. Siyempre, huli ka. Then the drama starts....got a taste of it while going to Ghills to buy the iPad Pro 11”. Siyempre, nag drama din ako. Pang-FAMAS. I ended up dining at Jollibee instead of Arya Persian.

:ROFLMAO:

#44 raypin, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    Juice likes this.
  5. raypin

Mm...love using Paymaya for groceries etc. Aggressive in giving out cash rebates on scan to pay purchases. Last year, I got back 8k php from Paymaya for my Robinson supermarket grocery shopping.

6. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

We ate at a burger place in Sydney and saw there was only an ATM style ordering scheme. It's absolutely cashless. I even ask if I can pay in cash, and they said they have no cashier, just the cooks and then calls out your number for pick ups.

hitme64 and raypin like this.
  7. vic2rp

vic2rp Active Member

Kinda reminds me of McDo wherein you only interact with touchscreen during order process. I even got to use the paywave feature of my card. Totally convenient.

Juice and hitme64 like this.
  8. hitme64

^But we still can’t use Apple Pay here, and now comes the Apple Card.

9. raypin

hitme64 likes this.
  10. hitme64

If the retail business would go cashless in payment transactions then cases of qualified theft, brazen robbery of outlets and cash stations, even malversation will be diminished. You can’t rob a touchscreen counter or ask it to spit out cash like the fool in HK who tried to compel a cash swipe machine to do so until police arrived.

raypin likes this.
  11. snipes

snipes Active Member

Those are anti-endo law devices.

If they dare strike all McDee & Jolibee has to do is deploy the self check out machines to all locations and a significant portion of labor would be out of the job.

12. raypin

Mm..part of a much larger global trend towards automation. Inevitable.

However, I look at this as time-saving devices rather than a labor cost-cutter. It reduces the time of the ordering process while the restaurant crew can concentrate on preparing the food for customer pick-up.

13. snipes

snipes Active Member

That's the dream on our end. It also leaves little wiggle room for BIR employees to ask for a bribes.

Sobrang antiquated ng PH Gov. They should really put a ceiling of 65 years old for all positions to keep ideas fresh and innovative rather than circa 1950s, 1940s, 1930s, 1920s and 1910s.

Our DICT Sec is a hardcore Nokia 3210 user!

hitme64 likes this.
  14. hitme64

Kasi daw hack-proof :LOL:

15. raypin

Mm...that’s supposed to be the goal of a national broadband network. NBN is supposed to improve the quality of government services, across the board. Of course since this is the Philippines, NBN became fair game for corrupt public officials. Bukol bukol and more bukol because ten BMWs are not enough for them.

16. hitme64

I heard it isn’t about the BMWs anymore, but something bigger...Hmm

17. potpot2

potpot2 PhilMUG Addict Member

Is it true that gcash charges a certain percentage for cash ins?

18. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

Haven’t experienced it yet, but they say they’ll issue a refund if the situation occurs.

19. snipes

snipes Active Member

Cashless Palengke Purchasing Tips:
    • Find a vendor in the palengke who can be an order taker for all your grocery needs. Each palengke has one.
    • Send them a list of your items with weights, volume and sizes.
    • Get their cashless payment details whether it be GCash/PayMaya/Bank to Bank transfer
    • Either you book or they book delivery to your home via app but is charged to you.
    • Check the itemized price of all items before payment
    • Change vendor if the arrangement becomes unfair to you.
    • Motorcycle delivery cannot handle more than 20kg of goods.
    • 7km one way delivery on a Sunday morning costs P96 on Grab and P108 on Lalamove. I gave a 50% tip because my goods nearly 20kg.
    • If you have a weighing scale use it for random checks.
    I've tried buying from Session Market app. They're on a Cash on Delivery model.
    • What I like about it is the thought that I am supporting the Benguet farmers directly.
    • They are limited to Benguet produce only. Only animal product they had was eggs.
    • They gave me free gulay without any notification. My guess is that these are unsold produce so rather than throw they gave it to me.
    GCash & PayMaya app Tips:
    • Transfer funds or make payments before 7am and after 11pm if you want to avoid transaction errors due to overcapacity.

potpot2 and raypin like this.
  20. pctan1584

pctan1584 Well-Known Member

In the past yes. I believe they have stopped this.

potpot2 likes this.