How to get rid of Recycler Virus

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by xkg, Feb 12, 2009.

1. xkg

xkg Member

I plugged in my flash drive and noticed a folder called 'RECYCLER'. I tried to delete it but it kept on coming back. Tried deleting the "autorun.inf" but it keeps on regenerating. Now I'm afraid that my macbook might also be infected.

How can I get rid of the virus on my USB? Tried downloading AVG antivirus but the site said it's compatible with vista and xp, not os x.

Help?

2. KiDKUMAG

KiDKUMAG Member

Try to put the "infectious files" in the trash can. Then empty the trash can.
    If it can't be deleted, try pressing OPTION in your keyboard then click empty.

I'm not sure of this though. Let's wait for some replies.

3. tyronne17

tyronne17 Member

What I did was to copy all my files to the desktop that I know are my files then I format my usb memory stick. Also, I have to scan my computer by using Clamxav to detect viruses. Windows viruses does not harm macs just because of the exe extension.

4. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

There's a chance that Recycler isn't a virus. Is it setting off the alarm for your antivirus?

I think you just deleted a file in your flash drive while it was connected to a PC. And you didn't empty the trash. Try reconnecting the flash to any PC and see if the Recycling Bin or Trash suddenly gets full. Empty the Recycling Bin or Trash.

After that, see if the folder is still in your flashdrive.

jerrychu likes this.
  5. just bry

just bry Member

the easiest way is to format your flash disk,

i also have that on my flash disk before and i can't delete, it so what i did is to format my flash disk,

and don't worry windows viruses won't affect your mac =)

6. xkg

xkg Member

I ended up reformatting the flashdisk just to be sure. I know it won't affect the mac, but it bugs me just to see that folder there and growing heads no matter how many times I drag it to trash.

7. clcabatbat

clcabatbat Member

hindi naman po lahat ng recycle na folder at autorun.inf ay virus. may mga ganyan din ako sa mga portable hard disk at flash drives ko. alam ko po na may autorun.inf na virus nadedetect po sya ng antivirus ko sa desktop(windows) ko. nod32 gamit ng desktop ko at clamxav naman gamit ng macbook ko.laging updated ang antivirus ko at iniiscan ko ang mga removable hard disk ko sa mac at windows para siguradong walang virus. nakakapraning talaga yang mga virus na yan.hehehehe

#7 clcabatbat, Feb 12, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  8. den_lim

den_lim Active Member

Yeah, I had problem too a couple of months ago.
    I think I got it form photo printing shops as the flash drive was the one I used to bring for developing.
    AVG detected it as a Trojan and removed the virus but the garbage directories were left behind.
    I had to reformat the drive using a PC as the PC didn't even detect the RECYCLER folder but could detect the worm.
    Weird.
    I'm interested to know if there's a MAC way of removing this problem.

9. clcabatbat

clcabatbat Member

use clamxav sir den lim, its free. clamxav detected the virus in my recycle folder and i was able to delete it.

10. den_lim

den_lim Active Member

i did use clamxav. it only detected it, not delete it.

11. rattrapante

rattrapante Member

Here is a tip for prevention rather than a cure, after formating your thumb drive and you know it is now virus free create a folder named "autorun.inf", make a folder not a file. Then make the folder hidden and locked. Now when you insert that thumbnail into an infected PC it won't be able to write a file autorun.inf since you already have a folder with that name on it. In fact I even do this trick to my external drives that I use on the PC, to make sure that if for some reason my PC gets infected my external drive won't.

12. Macmon

Macmon Well-Known Member

that is a very good preventive tip. Will try it out

13. clcabatbat

clcabatbat Member

ganun?i was able to delete mine. i just go to quarantine folder and move the items there to trash

14. Kiko

Kiko Well-Known Member

Won't the pc write an autorun.inf file? since what you created is a folder and not a file.
    But this is a very good idea. Ill try it out. thanks

15. rattrapante

rattrapante Member

It shouldn't overwrite it since its not a file but a folder, so it just won't allow a file with such a name be created.

16. nismo

nismo Member

A very good suggestion sir though it seems I can't make it lock and hidden in my usb. hmmm...

17. docnap

docnap Member

Me too. How do you lock and hide the folder? I can't find that option in the finder menu.

18. busrider

busrider Member

i'm not sure if this will work for everyone but i did some ways to prevent this especially when i use a flash drive between a PC and my Mac:

on the mac: delete the files that you are sure are not yours (the autorun.inf & RECYCLER folder) then empty the Trash before ejecting the usb device just as KiDKUMAG posted

on the pc (win xp for this matter): before plugging any portable device follow these steps:
    a. go to Start - Run - type "gpedit.msc" then enter
    b. go to Computer Configuration - Administrative Templates - System
    c. on the right pane double-click "Turn off Autoplay" and select Enabled
    d. on the "Turn off Autoplay on" drop down box select "All drives" then click OK
    e. go to User Configuration - Administrative Templates - System
    f. repeat steps c and d
    this would prevent malicious files like autorun.inf from executing and harming your system

19. rattrapante

rattrapante Member

Sorry didn't explain it fully, hidding and locking is not possible via mac os, I do it with a windows pc. What this does is when plugged to a windows notebook they will not see the hidden folder thus they can't delete it. Though even if its set to hidden it will still be viewable through mac's finder.

20. Sph1nx

Sph1nx Active Member

Going back to the RECYCLER "virus", that folder is created every time you access the USB drive in a PC. This is the "temporary" location for deleted files until you empty the recycle bin. This is supposed to be a hidden folder but shows up when you access the drive in a Mac.

To summarize, it's not a virus, just simply an OS folder. No harm keeping it that way as it's used for recovering "accidentally" deleted files in the Recycle Bin.

HTH.
    Sph1nx