how to flip horizontally in iphoto or in preview app

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by ministop, Apr 11, 2007.

1. ministop

ministop Member

while scanning some film negatives - i edit the orientation and the color correction of each slide in iphoto- is there a command i may have missed? I can only do the rotate command.

In preview app -i found the "flip horizontal" command but when i save the changes i've made- it didnt save the new orientation. What am i doing wrong here?

i choose these 2 app because its easy to manage- specially in group editing. But if you have any app to suggest please do so.

Thanks in advance.

2. dinxcarin

dinxcarin Active Member

That happened to me too. I used photoshop to fix the problem. You can try it.

3. polar_bear

polar_bear Member

OK...

there's actually numerous functions built into OS X to do that (Image Capture Scripting, Image Events scripting, SIPS, etc), but many of these need some geek knowledge

SO! download ministop_flipper.zip from my homepage at http://homepage.mac.com/juniortan/FileSharing45.html

1. unzip what you downloaded (it's an applescript)
    2. drag and drop your pictures onto it
    3. select horizontal or vertical flip
    4. select a destination folder (you can also create a new folder)
    5. it will the flip everything for you and let you know when it's done

it's an impulsive 4 minute hack, so some parts are a bit ugly:
    1. if filenames are duplicated, the flip don't 'appen
    2. only tested on .jpg (reaching my beer limit for applescript)
    3. works only on files in the finder (not within iPhoto, etc)

bests

pb

4. ministop

ministop Member

hey polar_bear!

COOL!!! many thanks! worked like a charm! its just what i needed.

5. polar_bear

polar_bear Member

you are very welcome, and i am getting a bit drunk (i only write applescripts in a pub, soused, late at night...)

for the techically inclined reading this thread, apple includes SIPS* in OS X (launch terminal and type: 'man sips' to learn more. i just applescripted the flip function to make it easier to use

*scriptable image processing system, i think