How to Check the Active LTE band and Carrier Aggregation status

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod Touch' started by neilrg, Jan 20, 2018.

1. neilrg

neilrg PhilMUG Addict Member

This tutorial is for iPhone 7/7+, 8/8+, and X models with Intel modem

If you're curious to know which LTE band your iPhone is on and whether it's actively using Carrier Aggregation or not, follow the steps below.

1. On the Phone.app, dial *3001#12345#* to launch Apple's Field Test Mode (FTM) app.

2. To know which LTE band your iPhone is currently on, tap Serving Cell Info. If it says 'Waiting for Update', wait for about 1 to 2 minutes for it to fetch the data from the phone's modem. Tap 'Back', then tap Serving Cell Info again until you see the values as shown on the example below.
    [​IMG]

In the example above, freq_band_ind indicates that the iPhone is on LTE band 28 (700 MHz). dl_bw (75 = 7.5 MHz) and ul_bw (75 = 7.5 MHz) shows that Globe has 15 MHz worth of spectrum (7.5 MHz downlink and 7.5 MHz uplink) on band 28. ***(I think this is a bug wherein they forgot to include decimal on the values on this part of the app, because there is no way Globe or any telco for that matter to have 75 MHz for downlink and another 75 MHz for the uplink)***

3. Next, to check if your iPhone is currently on Carrier Aggregation, i.e. aggregating multiple LTE carriers (not the carrier as in telco, but more like a pipe for data), which is by the way area-dependent, go back to the main menu of the FTM app.

4. We're going to tap on CA Status. Again, wait for 1 to 2 minutes for the values to be read from the phone's modem.

[​IMG]

The index value 1 indicates that this is the 1st additional carrier (also known as the component carrier) your iPhone is utilizing in addition to the primary carrier indicated above. dl_rf_band with value 3 indicates that your iPhone is also using LTE band 3 (1800 MHz) in addition to band 28. dl_bandwidth with value of 10.0 means that Globe has 10 MHz of spectrum holdings (5 MHz each for downlink and uplink) on the band 3.

Hence, for the screenshots above, we can infer that the iPhone is on 2 component-carrier carrier aggregation (2CC CA) under different bands. (CA: band 28 + band 3, 15x10 MHz)

Networks can also do carrier aggregation using two blocks of the same frequency band, as what Globe is doing with LTE band 41.

[​IMG]

The iPhone is on LTE band 41 with bandwidth of 20 Mhz (10 MHz downlink + 10 MHz uplink). ***(Again, take note of the bug on this part of the app as stated on the first part of this tutorial)***

[​IMG]

This part shows that the phone is utilizing another carrier on band 41 as well.

Thus, the iPhone is doing a carrier aggregation of two (2CC CA) separate band 41 blocks. (CA: band 41 + band 41, 20x20 MHz)

Globe said that they are also deploying 4CC CA on band 41 but I haven't had the chance to try it.

Smart also has carrier aggregation on their network as well.

Feel free to post your results and speed tests including the area. (y)

These are the best speeds I attained so far.

Mindanao Ave - Rd 20
    CA: band 41 + band 41, 20x20 MHz
    [​IMG]

Novaliches
    CA: band 41 + band 41, 20x20 MHz
    [​IMG]

#1 neilrg, Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  2. hokage6

hokage6 Active Member

Here’s mine.

My speed is really slow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. neilrg

neilrg PhilMUG Addict Member

Speeds can get way too slow on congested areas. I’ve had worse in our uni, nothing CA can do about :(