how long is the batt life of the new macbookpro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by the_butcher, Nov 8, 2009.

1. the_butcher

the_butcher Member

im considering to buy a new pro. apple web says the batt of the new pro (13, 15) lasts for 7 hours. can anyone confirm?

ty a lot

2. mang_boy

mang_boy Member

3. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

I suppose it really depends on what you're doing. If you're using some CPU/GPU/RAM intensive programs, the battery life will be a lot less than if you're just word processing or on the net. Ditto if you've got Airport or Bluetooth constantly on.

4. natsgo

natsgo Well-Known Member

How bright you set your keyboard backlight and the screen will also determine how long your battery will last.
    I've managed to pass the 6-hour mark once just surfing with screen brightness set to lowest, keyboard backlight off, no BT device and inside an airconditioned room. :)

5. soulspain013

soulspain013 Member

wow! that's nice! passing the 6-hour! sure thing backlit and screen brightness plus usb devices are indeed a greater effect!

6. joymd_ust

joymd_ust Member

it depends on the macbook pro's settings. but basically it will last long enough. :)

7. ekacpuc

ekacpuc Member

got mine for 5 hrs plus, while working with excel, itunes on, surfing the net, and around 3 other applications open.

8. the_butcher

the_butcher Member

they say that it should be 7 hours. batt life is important for me, aside from the fact that it should be on leopard. for those who reached 6 hours +, is this a once in a blue moon thing, or you get this batt life most of the time?

did you calibrate ?

9. the_butcher

the_butcher Member

@mng boy, ty for the post. i want to assure myself that batt is long for my trips.

10. jaijin

jaijin Well-Known Member

I get 5 Hours max, with surfing and iTunes. If i process photos, then take away two hours. not bad.

11. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

My 17 unibody can last 5 hours just surfing and doing light office work (plus 30 mins if I turn off wifi and bluetooth). 3 to 4 hours when doing heavy Photoshop work.

12. mang_boy

mang_boy Member

Forgot to mention, I usually use my MBP 13 with default Energy Saver Pref, Bluetooth/AirPort turned off, keyboard backlighting set to be turned off when the Mac is not in use for 10 sec. Display dimmed to about 50% when surfing. 80% when photo editing. The only gadget attached is my USB modem.

13. rjsant5

rjsant5 Member

My battery lasts for 4-5 hours surfing (wifi on).

Then when watching movies, or using iTunes and visiting video streaming sites then 3-4 hours of battery life (wifi on).

If doing light office work (word processing, spreadsheet) without surfing then it lasts for about 6 hours (wifi is turned off).

14. kellyboi

kellyboi Member

always have the wi-fi turned on, I get max 5 hours when surfing, but only 3 hours or so when using final cut or motion, not bad

15. the_butcher

the_butcher Member

no one gets a full 7 hours? or at least a usual 6 hours? this laptop could be the best if the battery would rival the pc based laptops like sony x and eee pcs.

16. ianroy

ianroy Member

I get 5-7 hours on mine. Surfing, Itunes, Ms Excel running. Battery life is vastly improved by setting the least screen brightness you can comfortably work with. Same goes with the back-lit keyboard.

17. shaft

shaft Well-Known Member

i thought the new MBpro's outlast any other laptop out there w/pretty much the same specs?

I use mine w/wifi on and BT on surfing, downloading, - 4hrs

18. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

I'd be impressed if the Sony X really last 7 hours as advertised.
    The eeePCs are an entirely different story.

Leo

19. jlerojo

jlerojo Member

Not to break your hope bubble but the 6-7 hours is actually an advertised battery life. This would be done using the least possible energy usage.

The actual regular battery use is just around 4-5 hours.

If one can reach 6 to 7 hours (I have) the settings of your Mac is set to the minimum (no kb light, 1 bar in screen brightness, no wifi and bt and almost minimum use of applications. I believe this is for "emergency use" when you absolutely need to use your mac running on low bat. I would not want to use it at these settings.

As you mentioned you are always mobile, then I would suggest buying an extra battery pack. The external type so you will have more power to your mac. If you travel on your own vehicle, consider also a power inverter, use it sparingly because it can ruin your car batteries.

My 2 cents

20. patjavi

patjavi Member

i go for around 5-6 hours with wifi, word, safari, mail, ical on. i have a usb mouse plugged in, with the brightness set at the lowest settings, no keyboard light.