How long did it take you to get a Mac?

Discussion in 'AppleTalk' started by jedazzy, May 13, 2011.

1. joethemobile01

joethemobile01 Active Member

Been a long time Windows/PC user and have jumped in last month. So it took me like 20 years to get a Mac .. Luckily I was able to get it immediately via walk-in purchase given its the Early 2015 model.

2. Anton Villaluz

Anton Villaluz New Member

Never thought of the day I'd be able to buy a Mac because of the price, but since I got an Iphone, I never stopped dreaming of owning one. I got one a year after my first iphone.

3. raze19

raze19 Active Member

I've been a using ipod and iPhone for the longest time and never really thought about getting a mac until I started getting all these issues with my PC's (desktop and laptop). Bsod, freezing you name it. It was only last year that I started considering the thought of getting one. I did all my research during my spare time and I also borrowed a friends upgraded 2012 mbp to thinker with. I decided to get the same model for starters. I wasn't ready to invest that much then and thought that it'll do the job. My mbp was around 7months old when I decided to sell it at a lost to a friend that also recently got converted. No I didn't switched back to windows. I upgraded to a 2015 cto 13" rmbp. I'm still actively using windows for work on my company issued laptop. It took me around 20+ years to switch and I'm loving every bit of this change so far.

4. jesusluison

jesusluison Active Member

got my first MBP in 2011... Happy MAC user ever since... i <3 iOS OS X :)

5. dryxzzz

dryxzzz Active Member

Back in 1986, I first bought a computer to explore the wonders of this technology. It was a desktop PC XT 8086 with just floppy drives, on DOS, no hard disk. Learned so much with it and got many career from it but never bought another because every workplace provided me generations of PCs (8088, 286, 486, pentiums, etc.) with DOS & Windows systems. In 1996, I landed a job in a publication and worked on a Power Mac 6100 with OS7. I promised myself since then that my next system would be a Mac. But still can't find enough reasons to have one. It was only in 2007 when my kids, one by one, entered college that I finally decided to own my 2nd computer...iMac 20" late 2007 with OSX Leopard. That's 21 years after I first touched a PC and 11 years after I handled a Mac. iMac 27" late 2013 with OSX Yosemite was my 3rd and latest acquisition.

Today, my family can't find any reason for a Windows system. My last graduating kid in college (my only daughter) is asking for a 2015 Macbook space grey. Yay!!

Sunil_K and amboy like this.
  6. lambdageek

lambdageek New Member

Less than a minute. I asked the salesperson if they have an MBP 15" and he took it out from the inventory in about 60 seconds.

7. mongkee

mongkee PhilMUG Addict Member

Since I joined PhilMUG in October 2012, I never even wanted a Mac because it was so expensive and didn't have much FPS games on it like what's available on PC's. Fast forward to 2 weeks ago when I really really really wanted to buy my first Mac. Even if it was just the 11" MBA. So I sold a lot of my unused stuff to save up for it. When the wife asked why I wanted to get one, the only practical reason I could give was "it's about time I learned how to use a Mac". Several negotiations (read: begging) later I was finally able to convince her and for the last 7 days I've been busily tinkering with my very first Mac. So to answer the original question of this thread, took me around 3 years to decide to get one, then about a week to finally own one

Of all the gadgets I bought, this is by far the one I am most proud of to own :)

Sunil_K likes this.
  8. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

Enjoy your first (and hopefully not your last) Mac! I've had family members and friends (including my wife) who just couldn't get why I'm so fond of the Mac and were so hesitant to switch. But after finding out that my Macs lasted longer than my previous PCs without any major issues, and after having their own PCs crash, get corrupted, conk out on them, they all came back to me with the question: "Can I take a look at your Mac? I'd like to see if I'd have a hard time switching."

Ultimately, they all switched and never looked back.

Sunil_K likes this.
  9. Akisum08

Akisum08 New Member

I'm on my 4th year in my job, and I'm still saving for a MBP. It's pretty expensive, but having to work on a Macintosh machine (in our company) tells me it's all worth it. I can't wait to have my back pay to finally buy my first MBP! It's an investment for me! ;):):D:cool:

10. zero.

zero. Active Member

How long? 5 years from my initial "experience" with a Mac.

My first exposure was with a "handed down" Powerbook G3 codenamed "Wallstreet." Back then, it didn't interest me much.

Fast foward 5 years, I got my first Mac, a pre-loved workhorse, a Powerbook G4 15" aluminum that I bought from a graphics design company which was upgrading its equipment and conducted a fire sale.

I'm one happy camper since then and my current mac, a mid 2010 MBP 13" just got a performance boost with OSX El Cap. :)

#130 zero., Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  11. HeSezRawr

HeSezRawr New Member

And still waiting for my Golden macbook to arrive to tell mine.

Delivers by 10/29 according to Apple Online Store status.

Can't get enough patience with this! I want it nowwwwwww... :(

#131 HeSezRawr, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  12. carlabianca

carlabianca Member

It took me 2 reformats and multiple crashes mid-video exporting to finally realize I should finally retire my 4gb ram PC and convert/upgrade to a 16gb ram rMBP. Worth all the extra pesos for speed and portability. :)

Sunil_K likes this.
  13. bekman

bekman New Member

I just got the mb pro 13 retina, first mac i got hahah :D. just want to try it out i gues :D

14. SQUN

SQUN Member

I purchased my macbook pro retina early 2015 some months ago and today they issued me a 27 inches 5k retina iMac, before that, they made me choose between a macbook and an iMac.

Now there is no need for me to carry my mbp because the gorgeous iMac is waiting for me in the office. First thought that came to my mind is to sell the mbp but deep inside me I won't let it go. YET.

#134 SQUN, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  15. kenshinx

kenshinx Active Member

Got my first personal Mac in 2004, 4 years after my first exposure to Mac. My salary was so small and Macs are so damn expensive back then, maybe because of the USD exchange rate 57:1

16. smokinGAV

smokinGAV Member

I got my first Mac shortly after I got my iPhone 3G from Globe. My house was Windows dominated back then but now we are an Apple family.

17. rexfuge

rexfuge Member

fresh out of college in 96 when I started using a Mac at work. Then I got a powebook in '07.

18. codecontracts

codecontracts New Member

Got my first Mac after having 2 windows laptops fail on me. Saw BTB's sale and bought a 13 inch macbook pro (late 2011 model). 3 years after and I still consider this as one of the best purchases I have ever made (no plans yet of buying another as I've just upgraded the RAM to 8gb and replaced the hardisk with an SSD hoping to get 3 more solid years of usage from this Mac).

19. TheParameter

TheParameter Member

2013, I swapped my iPhone 4s for a Macbook Mid 2010.

20. boytropolis

boytropolis New Member

It took me too long, haha. Been using iMacs and MacBooks in different offices for years, but I just bought my own MBP-R today. Thanks, Beyond the Box! :)