How long did it take you to get a Mac?

Discussion in 'AppleTalk' started by jedazzy, May 13, 2011.

1. jenntabs

jenntabs New Member

I've wanted a MAC since 2-3 years ago. But I've loved their look ever since they introduced those transparent desktops that I found so cute! Then this Feb we bought our iPad and I loved the interface immediately. I swore my next laptop would be a MAC. Then I had my office laptop reformatted and the IT admin told me not to put photoshop. Since I use it a lot for my other racket I saw it a fitting time to convince the husband. Finally got mg MBP from PowerMac via 12-months installment this August. Haven't even started paying for it, but enjoying every minute of owning a MAC! :p

2. macluvr

macluvr Member

It was in 2002, our office is in the process of getting everyone new computers and I am the unofficial trouble shooter. When I read that you won't get virus on mac or the blue screen of death... I've made a decision to switch. It was then just a matter of finding the right price. Abt 2 months after deciding to get one, I bought a used 2002 powerbook. Still have it. It still works till now. Ever since then I have tried to get everyone I know to switch. Even our church's computer switched to Mac 2 years ago :)

3. kooshbelle

kooshbelle New Member

Two years. Like the other members, I was quite reluctant to switching to MAC. My first encounter with a MAC was when my husband bought a Macbook pro way back in 2007 (which he still uses to this day), I tinkered with it and realized I was a bit intimidated by it. However, when my Dell laptop was beyond salvaging and realzing that the Eee pc was not for me, I caved in. And I haven't looked back since :)

4. david-ruffin

david-ruffin Member

hehe... back in early 2003 i was exposed to user groups and was already identified as one of those persons who support Microsoft-powered mobile devices. i wasn't really a die-hard fanboy, but i was allergic to Macs... until 2007 when my ex-gf gifted me an iPod Nano (despite of my defiance). that was my first step getting into buying a Mac, but it took 3 more years before i finally declared that i want to get one. that declaration was made October 2010 when Apple released the 2010 MBA. i wanted a MBP more but when Apple announced the mid-2011 MBA models, i decided it was a good time to buy.

it took me around 10 months after my declaration. :)

5. kcirecarg718

kcirecarg718 Well-Known Member

Got my iPhone in August 2007 and decided to pair it with a Mac on June 2008

6. kamisama

kamisama New Member

It took me 3 hours to decide last night which mbp to buy. Ended up buying the entry level mbp. Considered the weight, size, do I really need that much power etc. Sir Eric of Power Mac Rockwell was very patient with me. Explained the benefits and beauty of the machine. But before that, it took me 4 years to decided whether I should stick with my windows or not. God gave me a sign yesterday and bought myself a mbp. Amen!

7. dlsa0218

dlsa0218 Member

2 days after i completed my budget :D

2 years of reviews and research

8. m3ta1he4d

m3ta1he4d Member

I'm not really that hell bent on getting a Mac asap until my wife decided to give me a MacBook Pro as a gift this year. Though I sometimes get jealous when I see someone on coffee shops using a machine with a lighted Apple.. :cool:

9. rallie_art

rallie_art Member

Got my first iphone on 2007 then got my White Macbook on 2009 and after a year changed it to MBP. Now I am contemplating of changing it again to a MBA....

10. yakult

yakult Member

I've personally been a PC lover since time immemorial, and I love my freeware which I always thought was more abundantly available for PCs, so when given the choice in my old office to get a Mac or PC laptop, I chose a PC. That was 3 years ago.

At the time, my only Apple product was a 64GB iPod Touch.

When I move to a new job, the office was all-Mac, so I had no choice and worked with a hand-me-down MacBook. It took me a month to fully understand the change in OS, but soon after realized how everything was so easy to use, and I noticed that I never had virus problems that I always encountered when working with PCs.

Late last year, I got an iPhone4, and syncing it with the MacBook was so easy, as well as with iPhoto.

I tried using my wife's PC laptop last month for browsing and stuff, and man was I so frustrated with the lag and how much work I had to do things which were so simple to do on a Mac.

So now I bought an MBP for personal use. So happy with it. I'm slowly learning to use its full potential.

The transition from PC to Mac took a period of 3 years, I guess. And I repeat, I'm soooo happy.

11. indygo

indygo Member

It took me two months from the time I got my iPhone4, when I became obsessed with Apple stuff, about the same time my HP was almost dying (Ram wasn't working, bios time kept booting to in incorrect early date). Surprisingly, the HP started working again after the purchase, but has only been used 3x since then. I'm so lazy to boot up the HP, as the MBA has almost no waiting period, it instantly boots up upon opening.

#71 indygo, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  12. gravija_flare

gravija_flare Well-Known Member

i started with a 4th gen ipod back in 2006 which was the only one i can afford at the time, being in my first job. so when i finally had enough of our old dell desktop pc and had enough money to buy a laptop, i decided to get a macbook instead. i really wanted to learn a new os back then and a virus-free one was definitely the most appealing.:)

13. marlowe_td

marlowe_td Member

It took me about the rest of my college years to decide to change into mac. Been using mac now that im in graduate studies...

14. arvindelacruz

arvindelacruz Member

Same with me... after getting my iPhone December last year it took me 11 months before I switched to a Mac.

15. ment

ment Active Member

Well my first exposure to apple was an ipod :) but am Generally a windows user up until now.

I registered here to actually research about macs. But the intensity was only heightened last year. I got fed up with blue screen. Even in Win7! Never bought one yet though

instead i got an iphone4 last september. Coz my gf, who is in canada at that time, wants to do facetime :)

This iphone is a little monster. I actually use less of my laptop now because of the iphone. I can browse the web in my iphone.

When i borrowed my gf's ipad (she's here) few months ago. That relegated the laptop further down as media player, downloads, and idevices backup facility.

Am still dreaming of a mac laptop / desktop someday but the way its going for me, mac laptop is overkill unless i get a good priced 2nd hand mac laptop. Still its excessive given my usage of my current laptop.

if rumors are true that quad core ipads will be coming out then i might consider upgrading the ipad to that instead :)

16. gcgonzales

gcgonzales New Member

Since 2005 I'm planning to have a laptop. But last Dec 2009 this is what happened. My friend decided to buy a laptop in San Francisco, when we are at the store 1 friend asked me to buy too, but I told him that I don't have the money that time. In short they lend me money to buy a laptop. I got a MBP 13 and my friend got the MB 13. When we are at the Coffee shop to surf he envied my laptop because it looks tough and his is not so he sells his MB to buy a MBP. (He just use his MB for a week).

17. zeed

zeed New Member

it took me an "actual hands-on exeprience" with a macbook. My brother introduced me to it, telling me that macs do not have any "virus what-so-ever". a month before that, i just got an HP pavillion for home use. so the next time me and my girlfriend (now my wife) flew to singapore for a brief vacation, i got myself an MB black....and since then, i never went back (to windows) :)

18. Rickrude

Rickrude Member

Got my first mac during the time of the white macbook, it was a craze to have one for some "flashy" reason, had to let go of the urge since it was sold to me slightly used by a friend at a fairly good price and terms aside from being geeky and curious about technology and stuff got me into it. Too bad we need to part ways due to incompatibilities using ms office made from windows. Great to be back, when I bought my iphone3GS and iPod touch and finally last week, acquired a "brand-spanking-new" macbook pro 13inch i7 late 2011 :)

19. nighthawk

nighthawk Member

... when I had the money to get me a Macbook Pro. Took me 5 years or so... glad I went Apple.

20. arvindelacruz

arvindelacruz Member

Seriously, if you compare the price of a 13" Macbook Air (i5, 4Gb, SSD) = P65k

Similarly specced Windows notebook
    - OS - P10k
    - SSD - P15k
    - machine - P35k

You'll realize the Mac costs the same and with exceptional build quality!

In addition, developing for the Mac is not possible with a WinMachine, but you can always put Windows and Linux on a Mac via Boot Camp or as a virtual machine.

XCode is FREE, while Visual Studio 2010 for Windows costs US$550 or P20k (I think).

Therefore, enjoy your Mac, its worth every centavo!