How do you remove certain apps from MS Office for Mac?

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by HardCharger, Feb 17, 2010.

1. HardCharger

HardCharger Member

Hi All!

I had to install MS Office for Mac on my new MBP as my boss sends me or lets me compose documents but requires that it be in the format and / or template he has given us which he has done on MSO for Mac.

Opening the files in iWork doesn't always give good translation so he gave me a copy of MSO for Mac so I can install it in my unit. The thing is, I inadvertedly installed entourage and msn messanger as well.

I don't need these apps and only require word, excel, and powerpoint. Can I just go to the apps folder and drag entourage and msn messenger to the trash or is there some special procedure I should follow?

I tried the install disc again but there is no uninstall option.

This would be nice to know so that I can save precious HD space and also when the time comes, I can uninstall it if I decide to leave the company or have to cough up a higher version for whatever reason.

Thanks.

Hope to hear from y'all on this soon as I need to return the installations disc ASAP.

2. Nino

Nino Loading...
    Staff Member PhilMUG Admin

Don't drag the Microsoft Office apps or the folders to the trash, you'll have database and update problems later on.

Your only option is to uninstall and reinstall again, do a custom installation to skip installing whatever apps you don't want.

Follow the instructions below on how to safely uninstall:

1. To find the Remove Office tools, open the Microsoft Office 2008 folder under the Applications folder, and then open the Additional Tools folder, then go to the Remove Office folder. You should find the Remove Office application there.

When you run Remove Office, it will allow you to remove installation of Microsoft Office 2008 as well as related preferences and system files. Once you have run the program, it places the removed Office components in the Trash.

Empty the trash and then reinstall :)