How do you protect your macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wire, Jul 30, 2009.

1. wire

wire Member

is it worth it to buy protective sleeves, screen protectors, keypad protectors etc? are there no side effects like markings etc?

2. nash57

nash57 Member

3. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

The best way to protect your investment, the MacBook Pro, is to get an APP for it. And a good sleeve that won't scratch the aluminium unibody. All the rest is just fluff and frills.

4. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

and never leave it in your car or tote it around to attract attention to it...

5. angel_benet

angel_benet Active Member

solowork is right. my previous white macbook was close to perfect with no scratches and all i had was a sleeve to protect it whenever i'd take it out. aside from that, it's once a week wiping with a damp cloth (3M cleaning cloth). these speck cases, protectors, screen guards, palm rests, etc, are (imho) useless.

6. Lakbay888

Lakbay888 Active Member

Used silicon keyboard protector and an incase hard shell in all our macs in the office.. but with my new baby i think id like it bare as possible this time..

Im just worried with the keyboard if i accidentally spill coffee or juice on it.. or if i lug it around and accidentaly bump it.

1. so if i can still afford it id like to put invisible shield for protection and shine (protected from scratches but still nice to look @) 3k @ cyberzone - they install already.
    2. a nice elagant sleeve w memory foam - i think even sm dept stores have this.. +- P500.
    3. marware protection pack (trackpad & LCD, keyboard protector and hand rest cover) $16 amazon - the keyboard cover protects the screen from smudge when you close the lcd. and is handy as microfibre cleaning cloth.)
    4 screen guard protector to preserve the screen when you clean it through the years..
    5 apple care next year, a month before it expires.

If I only have budget for one of these items.. id go for apple care.. and ask relatives and friends to give me the others as mac warming gifts ;)

7. suavegabe

suavegabe Member

i also considered putting invisible shield on my MBP but then the texture would definitely change. i like the feeling of brushed aluminum as compared to a sticky plastic.

just get a good sleeve, a well padded laptop bag and don't spill any liquids on it and you should be fine. ;)

8. Lakbay888

Lakbay888 Active Member

interesting point. what happens if you spill liquid in the keyboard? and does the keys pad fade over time? planning to use my machine for atleast 4 years.. :slanted:

9. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member

I'd personally go for:

1. A nicely padded sleeve - I always place my Unibody inside the sleeve when not in use or when placing it inside a laptop bag.
    2. Screen protector - doesn't ruin the overall look and feel of the Unibody like a full-body shield would and protects your screen from any potential scratches and even finger prints. Saves you some wiping-your-lcd time
    3. A laptop pad/cooler - this is so that the bottom of the Mac only touches the rubbery part of the laptop pad and not the table. This can actually prevent scratches to the bottom while you move your Mac around.

Congratulations and welcome to PhilMug!

@Lakbay
    The keyboards actually have a lot of space in between them for liquid to pass through. If this happens, I'm pretty sure you are toast! While putting a keyboard protector blocks those spaces, it also blocks the Unibody's natural heating vents. So being careful I think is the best solution.

#9 extremeshot, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  10. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

I use:
    - a padded sleeve + a laptop bag (yes, double protection)
    - keyboard protector on occasion (but I remove it during breaks to let the vents "breathe") ; sometimes, I don't use it at all

That's it!

11. Elx200001

Elx200001 Active Member

Just 2 different bags, a laptop stand, and a fan. A surge protector is also a must. Periodic maintenance is also important.

12. barre05

barre05 Well-Known Member

A classmate of mine spilled softdrink (Coke, I think?) on my MBP's topcase (the one with the apple logo) a few months ago. I just wiped it off, and it didn't affect the finish or color whatsoever.

13. RC

RC Active Member

...Spilling almost any kind of liquid into virtually any laptop(duh...this of course does exempt weather proof ones...) will almost certainly "kill" it...

...if one is prone to spilling liquids on their 10K plus electronic equipment i'd either recommend a more durable one either weather proof or cheap enough that it can be easily replaced with a new one like a netbook or a desktop(inwhich spilling on the keyboard would only need keyboard replacement)

14. John H

John H Member

Or better and cheaper yet, stop drinking near the computer. :)

The most of the spill proof computers I have seen are usually sold for a bigger premium then a Mac. For example the Toshiba toughbook can be as expensive as an high end Macbook Pro with less powerful specs.

15. Lakbay888

Lakbay888 Active Member

thanks.. keyboard protector when im in a coffee shop.. no protector when im in the office or any place w/o beverage

what surprises me is that the MBP 13' runs hot.. my previous MBP 1,83 15' runs cooler

16. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

I noticed that too. My Aluminum Macbook runs hotter then my 17 inch. I guess its because the MBP have two fans and a larger body to spread the heat.

17. ikitub

ikitub Active Member

just a padded sleeve for me... i bought the crumpler school hymn..

18. wire

wire Member

tnx for all your suggestions guys! really appreciate it :)

19. garfreak

garfreak New Member

speck shell to avoid scratches.. and a sleeve for additional protection. didnt bother to buy screen and keyboard protector, i just clean them every now and then. :D

20. castortroy

castortroy Member

For my new MBP 15" protective sleeves, screen protector, keypad protector.. After kung gamitin nilalagay ko agad sa mataas na patungap para hindi maabot ng aking mga Kids.. Nabasagan na kasi kami ng screen ng MB before kaya nadala na!