How do I Password Enabled my Mail App

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by tyrone, Jun 25, 2007.

1. tyrone

tyrone Member

Guys,

I've been looking for an plug-in or apps to password protect my mail app. I have a feeling that someone from my office is reading my mail. :confused: Not that I dont want to share but I felt I was being invaded. Mails are supposed to be for the recipient only not to somebody else. Now is there a plug-in that can password enabled the program before it launches?

Thank In Advance

Tyr

2. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

Best way probably is not to share your user account. You're not supposed to share accounts. To add, you can have screensaver password (will ask you to enter password) after you wake up your Mac.

3. tyrone

tyrone Member

Hi thanks for the prompt reply.

I discourage my team to password enable their work station, even the screensaver, this is due to file sharing and file pick ups. Our stations are equipped with G-Raids and we share our files everytime and we even work or switch stations. The only thing that bothers me is my mail app being vulnerable to everyone.

Thanks again bacchus_3

TIA

4. hacksaw

hacksaw Member

In that case, may I suggest not to use your office computer to download you personal emails. Use your personal computer for personal mails or better yet, use a web based mail like yahoo or gmail. :rolleyes:

~hacksaw

5. arelcee

arelcee Active Member

Since it's an office, can't you setup a common workstation/server to store the shared files or just enable network file sharing on the Macs?

I haven't done this in a Mac network, but I'm sure it's similar to a Windows/Linux environment. This way, you can still implement the password security at the workstation level and keep the Mail app secure for everyone.

It's just a thought. Anyways, if it's difficult to implement from where you stand, I'll simply echo hackshaw's suggestion in not downloading your personal mails using Mail and to use web-based email. If you do that, just make sure you clear the browser's cache each time and to ask you user's not to save user id's/passwords for their webmail.

6. tyrone

tyrone Member

HI dennis (hacksaw)

Haha, If all things fails, I have no choice but to use my personal computer for my email I guess. Sounds sneaky naba, but it's not. Just a thought of having my email secured lang. :D
    thanks denz.

hello Reivi

Actually I did set up a work station for shared files but I had to pull it out due to additional staff. :( There are no personal emails naman e when using my mail, of course theres yahoo to communicate with for my personal matters, Its just that emails are tend to be secured diba.

Thank you guys

7. quietcynic

quietcynic Member

You actually have a few options. You can:

- Continue downloading personal mail, set up a password on your account, and set up file sharing for the external RAID so people can just pull files off the network.

- Continue downloading personal mail, set up a password on your account, and set up another account (and fast user switching) so that people can use your station when you're away.

- Stop downloading personal mail.

I say set up file sharing. It's not like the computer that's doing the sharing has to be a dedicated box or anything. I'm sure productivity is not exactly at peak when you have people using the sneakernet to transfer necessary documents.