How do I make Quicksilver search all directories?

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by melissa01, Apr 26, 2008.

1. melissa01

melissa01 Member

Hi,

Can someone please tell me why Quicksilver is not searching all
    directories?

For example, if I see a file in a particular folder called Temp, when
    i try typing the file name in Quicksilver, it doesn't find the file. I
    tried this for a number of files.

I selected everything to be
    cataloged, so I don't know what the problem is.

The catalog is set to update every 10 minutes. I tried rescanning the
    catalog too before looking for the files using Quicksilver.

I'm a newbie to Quicksilver, so your help is really appreciated! :)

Thanks!

2. Primo

Primo Member

Hi melissa01. It's always a pleasure for me to see people trying Quicksilver out, believe me you will get hooked!

On to your question. The default catalog that Quicksilver scans are your Home, Documents and Desktop folders. The problem is the "depth" preference that Quicksilver scans your folders with. "Depth" refers to the subfolder level in your folder hierarchy.

A "depth of 1 for a source folder means that Quicksilver will only look for files and folders in that source folder, while a "depth" of 2 will let Quicksilver search the first subfolder in your folder hierarchy for files and folders, but not look into those folders for files and folders, just the folder name. Afterwards you'd have to "arrow" in to the folder to get a look inside it. You need a "depth" of 3 to have Quicksilver catalog the folder contents for you. The "depth" preference for the default file and folder scanner is 1 for your Home folder, 2 for your Documents folder and 1 for your Desktop folder. Unfortunately you cannot change these defaults. At least I haven't found a way to do it for myself. If you want Quicksilver to scan for a certain "depth" in your folder structure here is how to do this by defining a custom source:

[​IMG]Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

I can't work on any macs without it. On machines without it I hit Ctrl + Spacebar like a monkey on drugs, wondering why Quicksilver doesn't invoke. Just a few caveats. If the catalog for a File and Folder scanner becomes too large Quicksilver tends to slow down. Using Spotlight to search for a file or folder in Leopard (Mac OS 10.5) is a thing of joy. I'd recommend you use Spotlight in Leopard to search for files or folders. Spotlight in Tiger (Mac OS 10.4) is a painful experience at best, so it's better to use Quicksilver in Tiger, even with a large catalog.

Have a blast using Quicksilver, it really is a must have tool for any Mac user. (This is coming from a die hard Quicksilver user unfortunately. You'd have to take my word for it...)

3. stubborn_sage

stubborn_sage Member

great app... glad to bump into this thread. just downloaded and installed :)

4. ultratramp

ultratramp Active Member

Great response re how to get it to work Primo! Couldnt have done it better myself especially with the graphics.

And re working on Macs without it, I'm exactly the same way, only in the lab I grew up in the primates used a different set of commands (i use option+space).

Im concerned that there arent any updates recently, hope development hasnt come to a halt. I have to agree wholeheartedly, that this software is a must on a Mac, especially once you get the hang of the three-pane syntax...

#4 ultratramp, Apr 27, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  5. melissa01

melissa01 Member

Wow! Thanks for the help! It's working now. :D

I'm so amazed at how helpful people are here at philmug. :D

Thanks again, Primo, for the clear instructions! :D I've been looking everywhere for a solution to my problem, so thank you so much!

That catalog problem was the only issue I really had with Quicksilver, but now that it's fixed, I know I'll really learn to love the app as much as everyone else. :)

6. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

OT: I LOVE SKITCH! Awesome work Primo :)

7. Primo

Primo Member

@ultratramp - I'm very concerned as well. I hope they continue development. I'd rather not be forced to purchased Launchbar... Keep the faith!

@melissa01 - glad you got Quicksilver to work the way you want... Spread the word!

@PatrickGaerlan - I love Skitch, I'm writing a "how to" software book, and I love how it works. Though with certain modal dialogs, Skitch doesn't work. Sadly Skitch doesn't have a timed option as well. I have to use SnapzPro to get the capture, or the plain old Grab app.

Thanks all, I was happy to be helping people, especially when it comes to my hands down, all time, productivity booster, Quicksilver...