How common are dead/stuck pixels in the new Unibody Macs??

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by anthonyramos84, Jun 18, 2009.

1. anthonyramos84

Hi guys! I was just wondering how common were dead/stuck pixels on the new screens on the new Unibody Portables? I had a Unibody Macbook and it has none. I currently ordered a new 15" 2.66 MBP from Sir Charlie and this will be my first Mac to be shipped to me without being able to inspect the screen before purchasing.

Care to share on this Survey? What Macs have you had with or without dead/stuck pixels?

Lemmie Start:

1. 2.4 Unibody Macbook - NO Dead/Stuck pixels.

2. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

1. anthonyramos84 - 2.4 Unibody Macbook - NO Dead/Stuck pixels.
    2. bhoyetjumpay - 2.4 unibody macbook - no dead/stuck pixels

3. enuhski

enuhski Active Member

3. enuhski - 2.4 unibody macbook - no dead/stuck pixels

OT: i looked up the definition of dead/stuck pixel and realized the persistent "dumi" on my digicam's screen must be a dead/stuck pixel. :p i'm glad i came across this thread! now i know what a dead pixel is :D

4. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

4. Salaryman Ryan - 2.4 Unibody Macbook and a 2.66 17inch Unibody - no dead/stuck pixels

5. anthonyramos84

1. anthonyramos84 - 2.4 Unibody Macbook and 2.66 15" Unibody MBP- NO Dead/Stuck pixels.
    4. Salaryman Ryan - 2.4 Unibody Macbook and a 2.66 17inch Unibody - no dead/stuck pixels

*Updated 06.22.09

6. jaytrixz

jaytrixz Active Member

1. anthonyramos84 - 2.4 Unibody Macbook and 2.66 15" Unibody MBP- NO Dead/Stuck pixels.
    5. jAyTriXz - 2.4 Unibody Macbook - no dead/stuck pixels so far

7. eixter

eixter Member

Re: How common are dead/stuck pixels in the new Unibody Macs??, Posted Yesterday, 12:32 AM | Report Quote | Reply
    6. eixter - 2.8 Unibody MBP - none for 6 months

8. mindless

mindless Member

7. mindless - 2.4 15" Unibody with 1 stuck pixel but its stuck at yellow thankfully so its very faint only noticeable if you squint on a blue background.

9. xedner

xedner Member

7. mindless - 2.4 15" Unibody with 1 stuck pixel but its stuck at yellow thankfully so its very faint only noticeable if you squint on a blue background.
    8. xedner - 2.0 Unibody MacBook; no dead/stuck pixels

10. eixter

eixter Member

just edited mine :D

6. eixter - 2.8 Unibody MBP 15" - none for 6 months

11. lovegrocery

lovegrocery Member

9. lovegrocery - 2.53Ghz Unibody 15" MacbookPro - No dead pixel :)

12. nwinter

nwinter Active Member

My new mbp 13" had a dead pixel near the top of the screen. Brought it to an Apple service provider early this week so they can check. Thankfully they agreed to replace it. It took them just 3 days to order the replacement part from SG. I now have a perfect screen with no dead/stuck pixels :)

13. notoryus

notoryus Member

just noticed a dead pixel on my mb unibody 2.0. planning to bring it back to the store where i bought it. hope they will replace it.

14. notoryus

notoryus Member

ooopsss its not a dead pixel. its just a stucked pixel. I took a picture of it and getting ready to blog about it, but as i was typing, i noticed that it is not there anymore! hehehehe natakot yata.

15. rycua

rycua Member

have you guys seen the moving stick inside a scanner during the scanning process?
    remember the flicking color it projects? i got the same effect just above the clock towards the spotlight icon.

before, it only appeared during gameplay (warcraft, tomb raider) this gradually became worse after a while. the problem became worse when i go to dashboard and every time i use various shades of black/grey for my wallpapers. this eventually became worse as the whole right column started to have the same horizontal lines.

eventually, i gave up and visited digital hub's iRescue at greenhills. after a week and 3 days not only did they change the entire top portion but also the entire frame surrounding the keyboard! talk about service! best part - i didn't spend a single cent! (except for the parking of course)

now my macbook's as good as new! :)

16. notoryus

notoryus Member

17. John H

John H Member

Imagine just a few years ago, Apple (or any laptop maker for that matter) would have rejected the replacement because a few stuck pixels "was acceptable." Back then around 2000, buying a laptop with a perfect screen is like playing a lottery. I guess the manufacturing process was improved with tighter tolerances.

18. nwinter

nwinter Active Member

I think even now, it's still a gamble whether the service center (or Apple) will agree to replace the panel. The technician told me that Apple's guideline requires that at least 3 dead pixels are present before they will consider it for replacement. But they do make exceptions form time to time, say, depending on the location of the the dead/stuck pixels, color, how it affects the user experience, etc.

So my advice to the other owners is that, if you have a dead/stuck pixel and it really distracts you, say your watching a movie at full screen and you always see a bright red stuck pixel right in the middle of the screen, then it's probably best to bring your unit to an authorize service provider and plead your case.

Actually, what's even best with my experience is that they didn't even pulled out the unit. They allowed me to keep it while waiting for the replacement part to arrive.

19. shadowless

shadowless Member

10. shadowless - 2.0 13" unibody no dead pixels, :)

20. Odysseus

Odysseus Active Member

10. shadowless - 2.0 13" unibody no dead pixels, :)
    11. odysseus - 2.4 Unibody MBP 15 no dead pixels, but my 3.06 iMac 24 has 3 dead ones