horizontal scrolling does not work in firefox & safari

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by nuggets, Jan 7, 2006.

1. nuggets

nuggets Member

Help needed here. . . the 2-finger horizontal scrolling of my ibook does not work in firefox and safari. I can't view previous or next pages in these apps using the horizontal scrolling. I tried resetting it in the systems pref but to no avail. It works in other apps like itunes and in design. But the vertical scrolling is working fine.

What can i do to make this work?

2. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

hmm mine works with safari. But firefox it usually skips pages... :D

3. Dave_D

Dave_D Active Member

If you mean using the horizontal scrolling to move between visited pages (as if clicking on the backward/forward buttons on the address bar), I can't do it as well on Safari on both my PB and my Mighty Mouse equipped iMac.

In firefox, you can do this by entering 'about:config' in the address bar.

You can then look for the setting

mouse.horizscroll.withnokey.action user set integer X

Change the value of X to 2 and you should be able to go back/forward the sites you've visited in Firefox.
    Change the value of X to 3 and you should be able to go increase/decrease font size of text.

Hope this helps.

4. elbert

elbert Active Member

Here's a tip.

In Firefox. hold down the option key while scrolling.

Vertical scrolling will result in a more refined scrolling speed (slower and less lines)
    Horizontal scrolling will toggle through page history (just like clicking on the forward/back button)