Homepod Mini

Discussion in 'Apple Accessories & Peripherals' started by warmgreentea, Oct 14, 2020.

1. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

It's so vague to be honest hahaha. Thanks for the inputs you all. Reading some articles and it's frustrating to see that we just want to use it for a simple thing yet there are so many restrictions to use it for basic needs. Gues I'll stick to my audioengines for more time until someone finds a perfect workaround for this. o_O

2. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

Finally got mine!
    Here it is beside its big brother and the og google home on the back.
    Sound impressions: it shares the same soundsig of the homepod but with less bass (expected given how small it is). But its definitely loud enough with its small form factor, and sound doesn’t deteriorate even if u crank up the volume. Quality is great as expected typical apple. Since it does not get as bass heavy as the homepod, what i find similar to it is the sonos one (gen 2) which i had before i got the homepods. The sonos is still better sounding of course but i’d say the clarity and just enough bass oomph is one reason this homepod mini reminds me of that sonos. Its a feat in itself for the homepod mini since its very small compared to the sonos. Not exactly a good comparison but just to give an idea of its sound :) in the end for $99 its a no brainer, now i’m thinking why didnt i get two of them for true stereo hehe... the homepods took a leap with its stereo sound for sure the mini will sound even better with stereo pairing. Its just for my small room though so it will really suffice. As a side note, i tried it on my samsung 25w and anker 30w usb c power delivery powerbanks and they work with the homepod mini over usb c. So its a good option as a semi portable in a way. Will try to observe how strong it consumes battery...

EDF14F13-EE99-488F-A327-39D561191CB6.jpeg

raypin, greta87 and ronjet like this.
  3. shootertwist

You can do that bro wirelessly. But if normal u mean wired, its a no go bro hehe... it shows up along with your other airplay speakers as option on whatever apple device you are using

4. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

5. Mascobado30

Mascobado30 Member

The local grey market prices online are crazy!!

rvaph likes this.
  6. Silentwill

Silentwill Active Member

7-8800k+ ranges sa Lazada and Shopee. Though there's someone in Shopee who I got to chat with in FB messenger selling it for more reasonable 6.7k but it looks like delayed ang stocks nya.

Sadly, like the one I bought from Apple US which may have been lost in transit by effin Fedex. Just reported it to Apple after waiting over a week of no movement and they asked ne if I'd like a refund or replacement.

Mascobado30 and raypin like this.
  7. vincer

vincer Active Member

I ordered a space gray unit from B&H last Nov 6, but status is still backordered.
    I was able to get a white unit from John Lewis in UK. It’s now on its way to Manila via Buyandship. It’s a bit more pricey though at £99 or roughly Php 6.5k.

braindeadph and raypin like this.
  8. shootertwist

Good thing i ordered mine at the preorder stage... how i wish i also preordered the airpods max haha was actually at the checkout already at that time too with next week delivery but backed out at the last minute as its quite pricey for something i havent auditioned and with no reviews yet... sorry for the OT

raypin likes this.
  9. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm..overpriced nga. A fair price is HK price plus 25% (to take care of duties, eVat and margin).

10. Silentwill

Silentwill Active Member

Looks like there are already knock offs. Saw some selling for 1.4k-1.9k in Shopee. The mesh fabric doesn't look quoite the same, og has bigger gaps, and there are holes inside visible at the back of the white one I didn't notice from the og.

#30 Silentwill, Dec 18, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
  11. Mascobado30

Mascobado30 Member

Spoke to the same guy on Shopee via Messenger too! The P6,700 is reasonable so told him I'll take one of his incoming January orders.

Also saw lots of OG HomePods on eBay!

12. Silentwill

Silentwill Active Member

Just saw this on my US account today. Crap replacement won't be delivered till late Jan early Feb. Still hoping the origibal order turns up somehow.

Attached Files:

13. rvaph

rvaph Active Member

AJT has it on their FB Page at PhP7,990.

14. Silentwill

Silentwill Active Member

So surprisingly my replacement order got shipped a couple of days ago though the estimate showed ne January-Feb delivery looks like it'll be delivered within the next couple of days.

Mascobado30 likes this.
  15. mongkee

mongkee PhilMUG Addict Member

Mine arrived today via Johnny Air, ordered from Apple US last Nov 12. Took more than a month to get here. Whew!

TBH, I'm still on the fence on whether to use this or sell it. Most of my IoT stuff are Xiaomi and I haven't had the time to check how well or if this works at all with them via the Home app.

hpmin.jpg

16. Silentwill

Silentwill Active Member

When did it get delivered to JAC's address?

#36 Silentwill, Dec 21, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  17. iDarwin

iDarwin Active Member

Dibs if you are planning to sell.ü

18. rimewire

rimewire Member

I got mine from Shopee within 5 days for 7688php. I ordered at 9pm on 12/10 on a whim just 'cause I saw a review on YouTube. :ROFLMAO: It was shipped from HK the next day. It arrived on the 15th. This listing had the most number of reviews with actual photos so I got it from here: https://shopee.ph/Apple-HomePod-Mini-Speaker-(Ready-Stocks-On-Hand)-i.166450960.6062607086 I had a thousand Shopee Coins at that time (you can only use 200 per day) and they had a 500php voucher for electronics during that day but I think the original price was around 8.5k php.

I checked the warranty using the serial number and it seems legit (check photos). Set up was a breeze, although it did have to update the first time I used it (as expected based on the reviews I saw online). I have a Yeelight color bulb and a smart plug, works well with both. It does come with the HK plug (retractable) so I had to use an adapter, which isn't really an issue.

I'm not sure if it's a normal thing but I got a 3-month trial with Apple Music when I set it up. I tried Apple Music when it first came out but I didn't subscribe past the initial free trial because I already had Spotify Premium so I didn't expect to get another free trial with them. Maybe they just offer it to everyone and I just haven't opened Apple Music in years, but yeah, it works really well with Apple Music.

I primarily use it with my Macbook Pro (which is still in Mojave 'cause I use Dashboard everyday and they removed it in Catalina onwards). When using it with Chrome/YouTube, it takes two seconds to sync. I expected this based on reviews. I heard that it does this with the Apple TV as well. It does disconnect from my Macbook after I watch a YouTube video, which is annoying but oh well.

As for VLC, oof, you have to adjust the Track Synchronization by -2 s. No need for that with QuickTime (it automatically adjusts) but I prefer VLC. Also, take note that I am on Mojave so these things may already be fixed in Catalina and Big Sur. I'll find out soon when my M1 Macbook Air arrives in January.

Attached Files:

ronjet, rzor and raypin like this.
  19. mongkee

mongkee PhilMUG Addict Member

Just got off the phone with Apple Support regarding my Homepod Mini. My issue was with the date of service and repair coverage which was until 30 nov 2021 therefore I assumed the product was already activated last Dec 1 even when I haven't even had it at that time.

So the explanation given was for Homepod Mini and some other Apple products ordered online, the repair and service coverage date is based on the day of shipping (when the item was delivered to the shipping address). Since I had mine delivered to Johnny Air's NY address, it was on this day (December 1 2020) when it was delivered that my coverage date started.

I really thought kasi my still-sealed Homepod Mini has already been used. hehe

But what I did appreciate was how very easy it was to get in touch with Apple Support. When I clicked on their website to call me, it was literally just a few seconds after that my phone was ringing already. Ako pa naasar bat ambilis naman di pako ready LOL.

PS - Watched an unboxing video and saw that the Mini came with a 20w adapter, so that's Php 1,190 free already which is nice.

#39 mongkee, Dec 24, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
    ronjet and raypin like this.
  20. vincer

vincer Active Member

^
    I always thought that warranty coverage starts upon activation.
    My homepod mini that I ordered from UK will arrive hopefully on the 26th. I’ll check if the coverage date have started already when it was delivered to Buyandship’s UK warehouse.