Home Network Setup

Discussion in 'Networking, Telcos and ISPs' started by oj88, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Leon21

Leon21 Active Member

Ubiquiti users, I have a question!

Would there be compatibility issues if I buy APs and the consoles/gateways from the EU or JP stores? I've been trying to get a UDR from the US store but it keeps getting botted to death while EU supplies seem to be more steady. The JP store (no UDR there though), meanwhile, offers the lowest prices for Ubiquiti gear. I'm thisclose to just getting a UDM SE from the US store even though it's overkill for what I need.

I currently have a AP WiFi 6 Pro (US) waiting to be shipped out by BNS from HK and I wanted to get my feet wet early in the UI ecosystem before eventually deploying the gear in my future condo.

2. pepspeps

pepspeps PhilMUG Addict Member

In my experience, there is no major difference for region-hardware on Ubiquiti products aside from the WiFi channel regulatory compliance on the intended market region of the hardware.

For example, if the Ubiquiti AP is US-region and your UniFi controller is set to US region, you cannot use channels 12, 13, and 14 on the 2.4 GHz band. But if you change your controller to regions other than US while AP hardware is still US-lcoked, the controller will display an "Incompatible Country Settings" message which you can ignore.

As for me, I just set my controller's country to US to remove this annoyance.

More info here: https://www.electronics-notes.com/a...2-11/channels-frequencies-bands-bandwidth.php and here: https://community.ui.com/questions/...s/fa4e02f0-7509-420c-abc4-01c700030d3f?page=1

Leon21 likes this.
  3. manager

manager Active Member

For those on PLDT Fibr using bridge mode, is it worth the effort to switch router functions to my TP Link Deco to specify DNS and use the built in firewall? I've heard the PLDT firewall isn't great or is it better now?

TIA

4. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

If it's set to bridge mode, the router and firewall functions are turned off and bypassed. In this mode, the PLDT CPE is functionally just a media converter (FTTH to copper). You will need to use the routing and firewall capabilities of your Deco in this case.

5. Leon21

Leon21 Active Member

Now on to the next question:

Is a UDM SE overkill for what I need? It will eventually be installed in a 160sqm condo (concrete walls). Using the UI designer, it says that I have enough WiFi coverage with a UDR/UDM +1 WiFi AP 6 Pro. I'm looking to install 1 or 2 cameras, then a lot of my devices will be wired. Since the UDR is so hard to buy, I'm looking hard at the UDM SE, but I'm afraid I'd be wasting money not fully utilizing it based on my projected use case.

Edit: Minutes after I posted this, I was actually able to buy a UDR! Huzzah! Thank you discord servers and f-you, bots! Please still answer my question since I will most probably donate the UDR to my sister once Ubiquiti comes up with a proper sucessor to the UDM.

#1025 Leon21, Jun 8, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
  6. pepspeps

pepspeps PhilMUG Addict Member

You'll probably be fine with UDR on that floor area as long as it is placed strategically (UI Design). However, if you plan to use the PoE LAN ports, please be mindful that those 2 ports are only 802.3af and NOT 802.3at (PoE+).

For example, U6-Pro and U6-LR usually requires an 802.3at port. But I can confirm both can be powered by an 802.3af port, stability comes into play in the long run so I just make sure I use a PoE+ compliant console, switch or injector.

Leon21 likes this.
  7. Leon21

Leon21 Active Member

Good to know! Your statement also echoes that of other UI users I've queried on discord.

pepspeps likes this.
  8. manager

manager Active Member

Let me rephrase:

On my old DSL, I set up a wrt54gl on Tomato and the improvement was massive.

I'm thinking going through the same effort nowadays would not be as satisfying?

9. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

You probably won't get any more noticeable performance improvement either way, but for better or for worse, moving the router and firewall function to your own hardware gives you a lot more control.

manager likes this.
  10. Leon21

Leon21 Active Member

Thinking of getting a Ubiquiti switch from a Lazada seller instead of UI direct. Does UI honour warranty when it's a local reseller? I've read there's a 2-year warranty when buying from UI directly, how is it when it's somwhere else? I've chatted with the Lazada seller (Ace Online Store) and they have a 6-month store warranty, but my question regarding length of manufacturer warranty is not being answered clearly.

Has anyone here needed to claim warranty on UI products? Reading people on discord having to RMA their devices is giving me worries since it's gonna be a lengthier and costly process being here in Manila.

11. legato

legato Active Member

Loving this Mbps arms race. However I'm about at my limit with the hardware I have.

ERX can only do 180Mbps with QoS enabled.
    So right now I'm not maximizing my speed boosted 300Mpbs Upload/Download.
    Feel a little bad already.

If they make this 500Mbps I may have to upgrade to pfsense.

Market competition for the win!

12. max_Moon

max_Moon Well-Known Member

More bandwith is great but I hope ISP's also do something about the latencies, particularly with online gaming.

legato likes this.
  13. manager

manager Active Member

can the Alien be plugged into our 220V? thanks.

14. max_Moon

Yes

manager likes this.
  15. joethemobile01

joethemobile01 Active Member

Planning on getting a Pfsense appliance but will be heavily be using OpenVPN as a client gateway for my NAS. Of course andun na din ang ibang pagagamitan like DHCP for my AP, Firewall and etc.

Do you think this one is already overkill or just right?

Intel Celeron N5105 Quad Core (4M Cache,2.00 GHz up to 2.90 GHz)
    4 x Intel i225-V3 2.5G RJ45 LANs,
    2 x USB3.0 + 2 x USB2.0
    2 x DDR4 SODIMM Slot, max support 64GB.
    1 x M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe3.0x2 SSD
    1 x 2.5''SATA SSD/HDD.
    1 x HDMI2.0
    1 x DP
    1 x RJ45 COM
    1 x SIM slot(optional),
    1 x MPCIE wireless slot, support WiFi/3G/4G(3 choose 1) connection.
    Support AES-NI
    ESXI, Watchdog, Auto power on, RTC, PXE boot, Wake-on-LAN etc.

I know you guys will be suggesting just using Wireguard but at the moment OpenVPN is the best solution for me. Di ko pa napag aralan maxado ang Wireguard especially the IPTables

Btw OpenVPN remote server is hosted privately on an AWS Instance.

Currently, I'm using my NAS to connect to the AWS Instance (OpenVPN server) but speeds aren't as good as with my computers/mobile which tops around 500-600mbps, compared to my NAS (DS918+ - Celeron J3455) only getting around 90mbps to 100mbps, 150 at most.

My goal is to get at least 400-500mbps, I have a gigabit connection from Globe. Thank you.

legato likes this.
  16. legato

legato Active Member

My previous Google on this was that N5105 can get 350Mbps OpenVPN on 1Gbps WAN internet.

Some redditer has the same setup as you on this thread => "CPU needed to run pfSense with VPN over 2GB internet connection?"

In addition you can also lookup testing already done by protectli on OpenVPN
    https://protectli.com/kb/openvpn-performance-on-the-vault/
    A link in the article has various models with their corresponding speeds.
    You can just cross reference the model with the CPU.

#1036 legato, Jul 5, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
  17. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

Around 5:30 AM morning, my main ISP (Converge) had a connection problem - even though the ONU has WAN connections, it doesn’t have an internet connection. I didn’t even notice the problem because the UDMP switched over to PLDT Fibr. I went out for most of the day and only noticed the problem when I arrived, because the Convere ONU’s light is not busy blinking and it’s the PLDT ONU that’s active.

Contacted Converge CSR via Twitter DMs and they recommended restarting the ONU. After a restart, the UDMP switched back to Converge as the primary gateway.

A secondary ISP may seem unnecessary until you need it.

legato and Sunil_K like this.
  18. Leon21

Leon21 Active Member

I finally have my UDR, AP6 Pro, & USW 16 Lite switch. Initial testing running just the UDR (equipped with a U6 LR inside its case) yielded unfavourable results for Wi-Fi signal range: it is no match for my home’s concrete walls. A bummer, as I was hoping I wouldn’t need to invest in multiple APs. Looks like I will need at least 1-2 more APs — to go along with the AP6 Pro I have now — in order to get full Wi-Fi coverage. It’s a bit ridiculous considering these are supposed to be very powerful and deployed at large sites, but I guess our concrete is more powerful at killing Wi-Fi signals! Lol. I do love the granularity with the settings though!

I have a 800Mbps up/down connection with Converge yet my speeds are only around 400-600Mbps (via Converge speed test servers) with the UDR with IDS switched on with 6/11 threat detection levels. For comparison, my ASUS-RT AC 88-U would consistently hit 790Mbps. Download speeds (via usenet) was also faster with the ASUS. Other UDR owners were right — the UDR is underpowered if your connection is over 500Mbps. I’m going to tinker some more, mainly with IDS being switched off to see how much speed I’ll get, but I’m pretty much set on the UDR being donated to family and upgrading to either the UDM SE or a proper successor to the UDM if that is ever announced.

PS. Do you guys actually get your ISP’s stated internet speed when using the built-in speed test of the Unifi console? Mine always connects to their HK servers and I only ever get 20-30Mbps down, 30-40Mbps up, when using their built-in speed test. It’s a minor quibble, but one that slightly bothers me.

19. max_Moon

Where do you guys get your UniFi equipment? Do you buy from the US and have them shipped here since AFAIK, the prices are lower there or do you just get them all from the local suppliers for ease of warranty claims and after sales service?

20. Leon21

Leon21 Active Member

I bought my UDR and AP6 Pro from the USA Ubiquiti store. The USW-16-Lite I bought from their Japan store. All shipped to Manila via Buyandship PH. Buying from Ubiquiti directly grants you a 2-year warranty, although actually claiming that is a whole 'nother matter in terms of cost. Hopefully, there won't be a need.