Home Network Setup

Discussion in 'Networking, Telcos and ISPs' started by oj88, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Leon21

Leon21 Active Member

2. jayparalejas

jayparalejas Well-Known Member

Anyone used the UDM? unifi dream machine. I am currently using edgerouter x and google wifi, but tops out at 866mbps wireless. looking for a more streamlined network with udm.

3. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

You have two options:
    1. Use a traditional UPS. This is the best bang-for-the-back I can find. It's got LCD status indicators... pretty uncommon for this price range. You don't need an expensive UPS to power your modem and router. Bigger VA ratings translate to longer backup times.
    https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/...4l.searchlist.list.65.54175e9doxr2MV&search=1

2. Use a power bank with a USB 5V to 9V or 12V boost cable. Make sure that you get the right cable with the correct voltage and polarity.
    Power bank: Anything above 10Ah. The bigger capacity translates to longer backup time.
    12V boost cable: https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/...4l.searchlist.list.34.268b4b62TTLtay&search=1
    9V boost cable: https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/...o4l.searchlist.list.5.263d122eWBhQYm&search=1

4. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

To our networking experts, I have wired up my entire Google mesh system with Cat 6 - which is the better configuration?

(A)
    PLDT Fibr Modem --> Google Nest router --> Gigabit switch --> Port 1 to a Google Wifi router on the ground floor, Port 2 ----- to second floor ---> Google Nest router ------ to bedroom ---> Google Wifi router

(B)
    PLDT Fibr Modem --> Google Nest router --> Gigabit switch --> Port 1 to a Google Wifi router on the ground floor, Port 2 ----- to second floor ---> Google Nest router --> Gigabit switch ----- to bedroom ---> Google Wifi router

(C)
    PLDT FibrModem --> Google Nest router --> Gigabit switch --> Port 1 to a Google Wifi router on the ground floor, Port 2 ----- to second floor ---> Gigabit switch --> port 1 to Google Nest router, port 2 --- to bedroom ---> Google Wifi router

So the difference is how the second floor devices are set up, with and without a switch, and how they are sequenced.

Thanks in advance for your help!

#984 SE20, Jul 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  5. oj88

Not that familiar with Google Nest or WiFi, but at face value, I'd say that an all-wired connection (Option C) would be best.

SE20 likes this.
  6. max_Moon

max_Moon Active Member

My Amplifi Alien just got updated to 3.6.0. Now it supports the enabling of DFS WiFi channels and 160 MHz channel bandwidth. 160 MHz doesn't seem to work with the only device I have that supports it, the Intel Wireless-AC 9560 built-in wifi of my motherboard that previously worked at 160 MHz with the old ASUS router. Anyway, I reverted the Alien back to 80 MHz as I have no present need for 160 MHz.

I just hope they add support for WPA3 in a future update.

#986 max_Moon, Jul 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  7. legato

legato Active Member

Seems PLDT speedboost is "almost" unrestricted.

Wired speeds for

1. ERX with QoS enabled (QoS set very high at 500Mpbs)

Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 3.25.52 PM.png

vs

2. ERX with QoS removed.
    Also hardware offloading turned on.

Screen Shot 2021-08-30 at 2.06.16 PM.png

SE20 likes this.
  8. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

• How do you remove QoS?
    • How do you turn on hardware offloading?

9. legato

legato Active Member

To check if QoS is enabled.

Go to the QoS tab. There should be nothing in the Smart Queue.

Screen Shot 2021-08-30 at 5.05.41 PM.png

Usually if your bandwidth is limited this is where you shape traffic so no one hogs the bandwidth, i.e. the ISP speeds should be set here.

Issue with this is that it conflicts with hardware offloading.

At current speedboosts there is no need for traffic shaping.

To remove it, go to config tree.

It's under Traffic-policy / limiter

Ooops edited to say.
    Int's under Traffic-control -> Smart Queue

Screen Shot 2021-08-30 at 5.06.30 PM.png

For hardware offloading you need to use CLI.

Instructions here =>

https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/115006567467-EdgeRouter-Hardware-Offloading

Reboot router and you should be good.

#989 legato, Aug 30, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    SE20 likes this.
  10. legato

legato Active Member

Found this in the Speedtest FAQ.

What should I do if my internet speed is slow? #
    Before you contact your internet service provider (ISP) or mobile carrier, check to see if you’re running any ongoing downloads or other programs like video chat that might be hogging your bandwidth. Close those and test again. If your Speedtest result still seems slow, reboot your phone or computer, modem and router. Then make sure that your router does not have any Quality of Service (QOS) features turned on. If that doesn’t fix the problem, here are a few more steps you can try.

Contacting your ISP or carrier for help is a good next step after you’ve gone through these steps. Keep in mind that on higher bandwidth connections (150 Mbps and above), you will need a higher quality router to keep up.

I guess the ERX is a beast!

No wonder it's well reviewed.

#990 legato, Aug 30, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  11. legato

legato Active Member

Recently got caught unprepared with my internet down 2 weeks ago.
    And my backup "plan" if you can call it that, was tethering with my work phone.

Had to disconnect all my ethernet cables to computers, and connect devices via wifi.
    Work laptop doesn't play well with my iPhone for some reason and have to connect/disconnect/forget network a few times before it can actually connect.
    Of course I can't use any of my network drives for files and backup.

Anyway, got this thing in the mail few days ago and seems like a good solution for me.

Thing is tiny!

GLiNet_Slate1.jpg

This is being powered from USB 3 out of a Synology NAS.
    Can confirm that it works with iPhone tethering (at least this latest version) as source of internet.

GLiNet_Slate2.jpg

Plan is to disconnect PLDT and connect the LAN port of this thing to home router for my backup internet when it happens.

Great AC wifi speeds for the size! (This is when this is connected via wire)
    Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 10.07.06 PM.png

Doubles as a Travel Router or VPN Router. Overly optimistic... but that's the dream anyway and still trying to keep safe.

What's your WFH backup solution?

lamski likes this.
  12. oj88

^ That's an interesting approach.

Thankfully, I haven't ran into device compatibility issues using the hotspot on my phone. During a power cut a couple of weeks ago, my kids' laptops and mobile devices connected to my phone so they can continue with their classes. There were maybe 6 devices total and my phone was plugged into a power bank throughout the ordeal. And we were all like really apart from each other so we don't talk over each other's meetings. I was surprised that my phone was able to provide decent coverage.

I also have a bunch of cheap USB WiFi "donglets" that I can plug into my PC in case I need it to connect to the hotspot.

13. legato

legato Active Member

Actually stole this idea from @mongkee who switches over to prepaid when PLDT is down.
    Right now for me, there's no other ISP available. And I'm not sure I can justify the cost of another ISP for failover.

You also bring up another point which I am not yet prepared for. Power out and UPS.

Currently all devices connected to direct plugs. I'm most worried about the NAS drives.

14. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

So, I upgraded from a UCKG2 to a UDM Pro. I restored from a backup and now not all AP devices are green. Been trying to search for solutions but I can't find any at this moment. Any suggestions?
    unificap.JPG

15. legato

legato Active Member

Dont have UDM Pro, but had similar issues when transferring controller from one docker to another.

In the controller setting, I entered
    - Controller Name = Set to hostname
    - Controller IP/Host = Controller IP address
    - Checked Override inform host with controller hostname/IP

16. legato

legato Active Member

Still ugly, but finally organized my home network under my desk.
    For brownouts, I can move one plug to the backup power source.
    For PLDT internet issues, I can plug my travel router (GL.Inet Slate) using work phone tethering as internet source to the WAN port.
    Still need to mount the Raspberry Pis though.

Screen Shot 2021-10-09 at 11.44.07 AM.png

Dekra, MharDelaCruz and jayparalejas like this.
  17. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

I found out why some of my devices didn’t register. It was bad ports from the switch. I’ve only had this switch for about 5 years. But it seems it’s starting to have problems. So far, I’ve had 3 Unifi devices that started having problems within 5 years.

18. oj88

That sucks.

All my UniFi UAP-AC-LR and Pro are over 5 years old. So far, I have had no hardware failures (knock on wood). For all that's good with UniFi, it's quite apparent that they're not the enterprise-grade equipment they're hyped up to be.

My Cisco main switch is maybe over a decade and a half old, considering I bought it used. Now that's enterprise-grade. My network literally would fall apart without it.... so much so that I have a pre-configured cold spare on standby in case the primary one gives up the magic smoke..

Juice likes this.
  19. legato

legato Active Member

I turned Off ERX Hardware Offloading even though it offered faster raw speeds. 300Mbps download and 600Mbps upload.
    Noticed that after that change, sometimes pages pause for a noticeable time.

Needed QoS (Quality of Service) so turned it on again.
    Unfortunately QoS is not compatible with hardware offloading in ERX.

Enabling QoS offered a better experience even though max upload and download is "only" 200Mbps.
    There's always reserve bandwidth for other internet users and we now dont experience that pause anymore.

20. oj88

Did you tell your QoS what your raw downstream and upstream bandwidth is? On my firewall, I have to configure these parameters for the QoS to properly compute the necessary reserve bandwidth so everyone's happy. Doing so, I will only get around 90% of the available BW, but this also ensures that no traffic, even the least priority ones, are dropped.