Home Network Setup

Discussion in 'Networking, Telcos and ISPs' started by oj88, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Leon21

Leon21 Active Member

2. jayparalejas

jayparalejas Well-Known Member

Anyone used the UDM? unifi dream machine. I am currently using edgerouter x and google wifi, but tops out at 866mbps wireless. looking for a more streamlined network with udm.

3. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

You have two options:
    1. Use a traditional UPS. This is the best bang-for-the-back I can find. It's got LCD status indicators... pretty uncommon for this price range. You don't need an expensive UPS to power your modem and router. Bigger VA ratings translate to longer backup times.
    https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/...4l.searchlist.list.65.54175e9doxr2MV&search=1

2. Use a power bank with a USB 5V to 9V or 12V boost cable. Make sure that you get the right cable with the correct voltage and polarity.
    Power bank: Anything above 10Ah. The bigger capacity translates to longer backup time.
    12V boost cable: https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/...4l.searchlist.list.34.268b4b62TTLtay&search=1
    9V boost cable: https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/...o4l.searchlist.list.5.263d122eWBhQYm&search=1

4. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

To our networking experts, I have wired up my entire Google mesh system with Cat 6 - which is the better configuration?

(A)
    PLDT Fibr Modem --> Google Nest router --> Gigabit switch --> Port 1 to a Google Wifi router on the ground floor, Port 2 ----- to second floor ---> Google Nest router ------ to bedroom ---> Google Wifi router

(B)
    PLDT Fibr Modem --> Google Nest router --> Gigabit switch --> Port 1 to a Google Wifi router on the ground floor, Port 2 ----- to second floor ---> Google Nest router --> Gigabit switch ----- to bedroom ---> Google Wifi router

(C)
    PLDT FibrModem --> Google Nest router --> Gigabit switch --> Port 1 to a Google Wifi router on the ground floor, Port 2 ----- to second floor ---> Gigabit switch --> port 1 to Google Nest router, port 2 --- to bedroom ---> Google Wifi router

So the difference is how the second floor devices are set up, with and without a switch, and how they are sequenced.

Thanks in advance for your help!

#984 SE20, Jul 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  5. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

Not that familiar with Google Nest or WiFi, but at face value, I'd say that an all-wired connection (Option C) would be best.

SE20 likes this.
  6. max_Moon

max_Moon Active Member

My Amplifi Alien just got updated to 3.6.0. Now it supports the enabling of DFS WiFi channels and 160 MHz channel bandwidth. 160 MHz doesn't seem to work with the only device I have that supports it, the Intel Wireless-AC 9560 built-in wifi of my motherboard that previously worked at 160 MHz with the old ASUS router. Anyway, I reverted the Alien back to 80 MHz as I have no present need for 160 MHz.

I just hope they add support for WPA3 in a future update.

#986 max_Moon, Jul 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2021