Home Network Setup

Discussion in 'Networking, Telcos and ISPs' started by oj88, Jun 4, 2013.

1. jcsantamarina

jcsantamarina Buzz Ambassador
    Staff Member

Yup. I checked the Stats and I do need a DHCP Server for it to work. So, based on this my requirement would mainly be - 1.) Business-Class Router for internet; 2.) DHCP Server for Local IP and File Server 3.)Access Point for Wifi devices

With regards to the Default gateway is it for the internet access? Or is it for pointing to the DHCP Server?

Thanks @oj88 wala kasi ako alam maliban sa Time Capsule connected to my Globe modem/Router.

2. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

Almost any router/firewall has DHCP server capabilities, so no need to have a standalone server to do that. As for the firewall, I can recommend the Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway (UGS). Here's an ad from olx (not mine) if you're interested. This can integrate with the Ubiquiti UAPs for ease of management.

Default-Gateway = Router

So then, the default-gateway is the IP address of your router/firewall, which then connects your network to the Internet. If the router and DHCP server is one and the same, then default-gateway = DHCP server.

3. zChris

zChris Active Member

oj88:

So I pulled the trigger over the weekend (based on your recommendations in this thread) and got myself a pair of Ubiquiti AC AP LRs. I'd just like to ask your advise on radio settings. I am currently on HT20 for 2.4 and VHT80 for 5. TX power and Channel is set to Auto. The selected channels seem to be ok based on the RF Scan. I am just not sure about the TX power and Channel Width. I read a review saying that the best speed was obtained using Low power for both 2.4 and 5 and using HT40 and VHT80. However, I read somewhere else that there may be some connection issues with anything above HT20 especially if there is a lot of WiFi traffic around. Furthermore, the second article said nothing about TX Power. I live in a condo so, as you can imagine, there are a ton of APs around. Most are on 2.4 while 5 is pretty open. On a wired connection, I am able to get above 800 to 850 Mbps to my unmanaged switch. On wireless, I am getting about 50 Mbps on N and 250 Mbps on AC. Its not a major pain at the moment, but I'd like to optimise if I can. For additional info, I live in a loft. One of the APs is in a relatively central part of the G/F (facing up). Most devices connect to this AP. The other AP is in the MBR on the second floor but it right by the wall between the adjoining unit. Walls are made of hollow blocks and the slab, of course, is made of concrete. Ground floor footprint is about 80 sqm (which includes a 30 sqm open patio out back. Additionally, I have the Guest Portal switched on, which I understand affects bandwidth as well.

On another note, I have also been researching UBNT routers as well. I initially checked the USG but it seems that a lot of functionality is not yet built in to the UniFi controller and I don't want to learn the CLI. The main item I need which is not in the controller yet is the ability to define static routes. The EdgeRouter Lite seemed like a better buy to me, cheaper and has a more complete UI so simpler for me to manage. Since I only have a 50 MB connection, though, I'll probably stick to my Netgear R7000 flashed with dd-wrt. I am getting pretty much the full 50 Mb on Speedtest so I assume that the router can still hack it. Will probably replace with UBNT when it breaks. I just need to learn to suppress my OC-ness of the Dashboard having the three grayed out areas of the network. Any thoughts on this? The routers, I mean. :)

Thanks.

4. jcsantamarina

jcsantamarina Buzz Ambassador
    Staff Member

Thanks! I called the guys from the ad and they're coming over to help assess the situation.

Might get that UGS and an AP.

5. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

Several months ago, I was not receiving enough wi-fi coverage in my room on the 2nd floor. After reading several articles on how to extend the range of my timecapsule, the easiest was to get an apple express, then mount it on a high area nearer to my room (I bought a metal bathroom shelf and mounted it on the kitchen cupboard), then I got a long ethernet cable and connected the apple express to my GB switch. Setup was easy using the airport utility. Now I have full coverage throughout the house.

potpot2 and ricocamus like this.
  6. oj88

Here are my settings:

TX Power – I keep this on Auto. I want the UAP to decide for itself what the RF power should be based on its proximity with the other RF radiators.

I use HT20 and VHT80, respectively. These settings seem to work well in my environment with average interference from neighbors’ 2.4GHz WiFi. If I use HT40, far-end devices (40 meters away, with walls in between) sometimes have wireless performance issues. On 5GHz, I can use the full 80MHz bandwidth as it’s practically unoccupied. With these settings, all clients connect fine and I don’t notice any performance issues.

RF Channels – My three UAPs are channeled accordingly Channel 1, 6 and 11 on 2.4GHz, (VHT80) and 36, 40 and 44 on 5GHz, respectively.

Firewall – There are free alternatives… Of course, it has no integration with the UniFi Controller. But that's never a deal breaker. I use pfSense currently but I’m thinking of either switching to Sophos XG Firewall Home Edition (Free) or Untangle Home Edition ($5/mo. Or $50/yr.), just for a change of scenery.

7. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Do you guys use the iOS app on your Unifi? I control it through the web browser that comes up when I launch the app. But I also want to control it on my phone. How do you guys connect to it?

8. oj88

I already have a 24x7 media server running... Perfect place to host the Unifi Controller app.

I can access it using the iOS app.
    [​IMG]

In controller-less mode, you just connect the UAP on your wired network then with your iOS device still connected to the old AP, the UniFi app can be used to find the UAP on your network. Once found, you can start configuring it.

#88 oj88, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  9. Juice

Supporter

I got it the other way around. I setup with the launcher on my Mac then I tried to use my iOS to connect but it wouldn't find it. It says No devices were found. How do you access it on the MAc/PC and iOS? My iOS can't connect to it, only my Mac.

#89 Juice, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  10. oj88

Not sure how you setup yours but here's what I know... Once the UAPs have been provisioned (ie. Configured, one way or the other), you will no longwr be able to find them using the iOS app.

On your Mac web browser, try to unprovision them and let your iOS device find them while connected to your old AP. (Unless your iOS device has a wired ethernet port)

11. Juice

Supporter

So, you can't control them on the iOS app, once you configured them on the Mac? Is that correct? You can only control them where you set it up for for the first time.

12. oj88

Yes, that seems to be right. I've initially tried to configure them using the iOS app. When I did that, I can no longer see them when I run the controller app on the PC. I had to unprovision them first from the iOS app before the PC app was able to find and re-provision them. I imagine it's the same thing if you did the reverse. The UAPs can only be associated with a single controller.

What I showed in the dashboard screencap above was the iOS app accessing the controller app on my server. It's not the same thing as the iOS app being the controller.

13. Juice

Supporter

Got it. Thanks.

14. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

hi guys, what is the best router out there that i can use at our compound (2 houses).

my internet is a PLDT Fibr. Im still using WRTG router... i know i know its jurassic na! haha

anyways im feeling the lag already. Whats connected to my WRTG router are
    a. router for the 2nd house
    b. Philips hue bridge
    c. WD Nas

15. zChris

zChris Active Member

@Juice: If you have a controller installed on your Mac already, and the Mac is switched on, then on iOS, you would not use controller-less mode. You would connect to your controller, which happens to be on your Mac. right now, I have two controllers running, one on my media center within my LAN and another on Amazon. The devices right now are connected to my AWS controller.

In such a case, on iOS, I select the option that says "I have a controller" or something to that effect. Then I would enter the IP address of my controller, port 8443. Then userid and pw for the controller admin, and I'm good. Obviously, if you are accessing a controller within your LAN, then your iOS device needs to be connected to that LAN (both within the WiFi network and remotely via VPN works for me). If your controller is in the cloud, say in AWS, then just you just need an internet connection, put in the elastic IP that AWS assigned to you, and you should see your devices.

To change config the APs, go to the Devices tab in the lower left portion of the screen, then select an AP, then click Configure on the upper right hand corner of the screen with the device details.

@oj88: So I felt really OC about not having WAN and LAN lit up on my Controller so I pulled the trigger and got myself a USG. Its arriving in a couple of weeks. I also got myself a Cloud Key. I do have Synology running 24x7 and I was able to get the Unifi Controller running smoothly on Docker. Problem is, my Synology is about 3 years old now and sometimes power to the entire unit dies. I learned that when the APs cannot connect to the controller, the Guest SSID goes into open access, which is not what I want. So I am now running my Controller on AWS, using the free tier. Then will migrate to the Cloud Key at some point when it arrives.

On a related note, I have been researching quite a bit on Unifi and I really like what they are doing. I've kinda gone all in on Ubiquiti for my network already. I have you to thank for this. :)

#95 zChris, Jun 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  16. oj88

zChris pretty much covered the deployment models the controller app supports (whether on-prem or cloud).

There's also Cloud Access, a VPN-less/Client-less option where you will be able to manage your UniFi devices with a browser, wherever you are for as long as there's an internet connection. This is also perfect if you have multiple controllers (that means you, zChris :) ), as you'd be able to see and manage all your controllers in a single dashboard.

Steps on how to do this:
    1. If you haven't done so, create an account or login here: https://account.ubnt.com/login
    2. On each of your controllers, go to Settings > Cloud Access and enter the login info you created in Step 1
    3. You can now manage ALL your controllers in one place here: https://unifi.ubnt.com/#/

So when the wifey calls you at work complaining about the the slow internet, you'd be able to authoritatively say; "It's not the network, hon. It's <insert kid's name here> streaming off of Netflix using the Roku 3 in the living room." ;)

17. zChris

zChris Active Member

@oj88: Yup, I've got that Cloud Access setup with both my Controllers up and running on it. It's not bad, but the connection gets cut quite easily and I find myself having to re-establish connection a number of times.

The best for me is AWS. Super quick access from web or mobile app without needing a VPN. The free tier is essentially a free VM for a year. However, I don't see myself paying about PHP700 a month (my estimate) after the free trial ends.

This is where Cloud Key comes in...

On another note, I created an account in the UBNT forums and have actually been checking it more than I do Philmug the past week or so! According to one of the UBNT guys, a new controller version with some firewall functionality I need is going to RC at the end of June so I want to be able to do an early upgrade, just in time for the arrival of my USG! :)

18. oj88

I also looked at and considered getting the USG... plenty of times. I too, have been tempted to complete the set to see all those green icons come to life. The thing that brings me back to earth is knowing that the appliance is still lacking in a lot of important things. Moving to ithe USG means I have to give up features I've taken for granted in pfSense. Maybe in a few years... we'll see. :)

19. Juice

Supporter

@zChris
    @oj88

How do you guys setup the guest network separating the guest network from the default network?

20. oj88

I don't have a Guest network. You're either family or you don't get to be on my network. Anyway, I've never found a need for it as most of my guests have mobile data plans.

But it can be done in a number of ways. Many wireless routers have this capability already and all you have to do is turn it on.

I am able to implement it on my network when I find a need for it, but it is a bit more involved than the one above. I do this by setting up VLANs on my pfSense firewall, enable VLAN Tagging (802.1Q) to my managed switch, then finally, I create another 802.1Q connection from the switch to my UAP access points. On the UAP, I create a new SSID for the Guest network and associate that with the Guest VLAN. This is more work but it offers the best versatility and a bit more granular control.

#100 oj88, Jul 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2016