Home Network Setup

Discussion in 'Networking, Telcos and ISPs' started by oj88, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

im using a full Unifi system with a udm pro and pro switch and Nano HD and U6 lites. Make sure you made them all sign into the same vlan.

lamski likes this.
  2. JMacalinao

JMacalinao Active Member

After years of fiddling with network and server equipment, I think I'm nearing the end of my adventure... the rack is finally full! :ROFLMAO:

20210603_172100.jpg 20210603_171756.jpg 20210603_171512.jpg

Sharing this just now since I won't be upgrading for the foreseeable future. Maybe a couple of 10G NICs but that's about it. The newest/last addition to the rack are the three Hyve Zeus 1U servers, installed earlier today.

Sunil_K, bowman60, pepspeps and 4 others like this.
  3. Hero33

what are you using to cool those bad boys?

4. JMacalinao

JMacalinao Active Member

Just two alternating fans. Might try using a portable AC in the future.

5. max_Moon

max_Moon Active Member

Wow! That's a lot of enterprise grade hardware for the home. What do you guys do with all that network gear?

6. JMacalinao

JMacalinao Active Member

Umm... it's complicated. :D

In my case, half of it is home-related. Private cloud and file server, password manager, media server, VPN gateways (for "region-unlocking" Netflix, etc.), home automation and surveillance, VoIP, personal website/blog, game servers (Minecraft and GTA/FiveM, used to have Rust and 7DTD servers as well), a Mac VM for redirecting all my iMessage conversations to and from my Android phone, other VMs for personal use. Maybe cloud gaming as well, although the GPU is a bit underpowered (RX 480).

I also use it for work. I have some VMs I use strictly for development. Then more VMs for temporarily hosting or compiling/building stuff (usually when my employer takes too long deciding whether to allocate more cloud resources, but I want things to get done ASAP lol).

A part of it is also used for the family business. The company's website, portal, and internal database are hosted here. Also, the main home internet (which is on an enterprise plan) is shared, via a pair of outdoor wireless CPEs, to a building nearby. The home has backup internet via mobile data (planning to upgrade to 5G, need to justify the price though) that the other building can use, but that building also has its own backup in case the shared connection cuts off. We get our surveillance on that building through this connection.

I'm also hosting other websites, some personal, and some for family and friends. Planning to opening it up some more if I can at least guarantee 99.9% availability.

Once I'm done moving stuff around because of the new servers, the bottom Dell R710 will become my dedicated backup server. Everything (minus the media server stuff) will be backed up to it, and the server itself will be backed up to the cloud (still deciding on whether to use Google or Microsoft).

isaak, peppersauce, Sunil_K and 3 others like this.
  7. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

Check out Backblaze. It's unlimited cloud backup and is cheaper than google or microsoft.

JMacalinao likes this.
  8. JMacalinao

JMacalinao Active Member

Oh yeah, I forgot about Backblaze. My only issue is that their unlimited Online Backup service doesn't allow servers (or even network shares). Might consider B2 though, if I can't find anything else cheaper.

9. pepspeps

pepspeps PhilMUG Addict Member

Been using B2 for about 3 years now. For my usage, I've been paying around $1.3 to $1.7 monthly.

Highly recommended, never had a downtime when my backup runs. Keeps me sleeping well at night.

Before that, I was using CrashPlan until they screwed their Home tier customers.

[​IMG]

10. legato

legato Active Member

Personal, Business or Cloud Storage?

Noticed it's not encrypted. Is there special pricing for encryption?

11. pepspeps

Personal. Files are encrypted before uploading and I have the responsibility of managing my own keys.

As for the special pricing, not that I know of. I have it disabled as I do not need it honestly.

12. legato

legato Active Member

That's clever and yes, looks like a really great deal.

Btw, tried Portainer yesterday in Synology and I think I like this better than the Synology Docker UI.

Screen Shot 2021-06-06 at 2.17.32 PM.png

Just don't like the sound of the Synology now, HDD heads moving per DNS query. Planning to move all containers to a Raspberry Pi.

As a side note, PLDT fiber speeds are wild! I wonder when the party will end.

Screen Shot 2021-06-06 at 2.24.36 PM.png

13. pepspeps

^ Yep, move it to RPi. It will be more than enough for your Pi-hole.

FWIW, I also have a C2 subscription as my 2nd backup destination, though a little bit more expensive. I'm already paying $60/y there.

My 3rd destination is a VPS w/ block storage at around $55/y.

legato likes this.
  14. legato

legato Active Member

Moved Portainer / unifi / speedtest tracker / openspeedtest / dokuwiki from Synology to a Pi 4B/8GB with a POE hat.
    Had issues running pihole in docker so just installed bare-metal for now. Also installed unbound.

Happy that the NAS is offloaded from DNS queries.

I think I've become a fan boy. Why'd I try it only now?

IMG_2550.jpg

15. Leon21

Leon21 Active Member

I’m thinking of getting a Synology NAS (my first ever). The DS920+ is on sale at Newegg for $439.99 while the cheapest I’ve seen locally is Php 29,999. I’m only worried about warranty if I buy from the US. Would it be better to buy local or would the cost savings of buying from Newegg be worth it?

16. potpot2

potpot2 PhilMUG Addict Member

There’s a new brand, ruijie, that ive been reading lots of good reviews. Have you guys heard of it?

17. Hero33

I got my 1019+ from Amazon last year.

no problems and I leave it on 24/7 connected to my network.

18. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

It's your individual decision if you wish to rely on good luck. Everybody does it to a certain extent.

I have also bought a ton of stuff off Amazon... mostly smart home stuff and IoTs. But I've accepted the risk and went in with eyes wide open. But these are relatively cheap stuff. In fact, I was able to have Amazon replace an Echo Spot within warranty. But I had to go through hoops, not the least of which is coordinating with a relative to hand-carry the defective item back to the states.

Even buying from international sellers through Shopee or Lazada will only guarantee protection from DOA products. Reputable sellers may help you replace the defective item well past the return window but that's going to be outside of the two platforms and you're essentially at their mercy in terms of long TATs and ghastly logistic options... at best.

19. legato

legato Active Member

Amazing how the same product from halfway across the globe is cheaper by so much we're thinking of buying there instead of here.

Do buy small items, <200 usd so taxes or hassle isnt too much. Sakto yung 8TB WD Red about 197-199 each few months back.

It's a legitimate option for sure.

20. textguru

textguru Active Member

guys, just wanna check what cost effective UPS brand that you use for your ISP modems + Wifi routers? Have subscribed to 3 ISPs as a backup if it is down but I dont have backup if power is down.