Home Network Setup

Discussion in 'Networking, Telcos and ISPs' started by oj88, Jun 4, 2013.

1. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

With the full wrath of hell upon us, I am also thinking of ways to cool my IT equipment. I can seal up the louvers and close the doors on my cupboard-datacenter and fashion a small A/C somehow and just cool this tiny space (less than 1.25 sq-m).

Rough calculation of the heat load from all the equipment shows that it's generating anywhere between 1,100 to 1,500 BTUs per hr.

[​IMG]

bowman60 and peppersauce like this.
  2. pepspeps

pepspeps PhilMUG Addict Member

Heat and humidity this year for me really is on the next level. But so far (crossing fingers), my hardware temps looks the same as last year's summer, even if it is beside a window facing directly the afternoon sun.
    [​IMG]

I like mine naked 24/7. :cool: No AC. Even my 1U NVR / backup pf unit cannot escape my nakedness. Haha!

The obvious downside is... DUST all over my equipment.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. potpot2

potpot2 PhilMUG Addict Member

im using a simple fan to cool my simple setup, converge modem to a switch then switch to 3 routers via lancables. fan is plug in to a xiaomi smart plug, so i "programmed" fan to turn on for 15 mins then turn off for 30 mins up to 9pm.

Attached Files:

bowman60 likes this.
  4. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Is this a home rack? Does your rack have fans on top? My server rack is in a room with AC but only when i'm inside the room. My wife and I share a room half is my server room and half is her walk in closet. So, the AC is pretty much on most of the time except when we go to sleep.

5. JMacalinao

JMacalinao Active Member

It's a short server cabinet (about 3ft/21U I think). However, it's in a wide open room (a general purpose/family/living room of sorts), and it's not really an option to divide the room for air conditioning. It has fans on top but they're for exhausting hot air.

I'm thinking of buying a portable AC (maybe something like this: https://www.abenson.com/tcl-tac-09cpa-w.html), cover its cooling vent with some ducting/hose that goes to another air duct that covers the rack's front door (it's perforated). Of course, I'll need to add padding to everything to make sure at least the front is sealed when closed. The idea is that the entire rack doesn't need to be cold, it just needs to have some cold air at the front since the network equipment and servers have intake fans. I haven't seen anyone else do something like that though (especially with portable ACs), so I'm hesitant. :D

6. oj88

The Broadlink environment sensor on top of the left HP server is set to turn on the living room A/C when the temp there reaches 35°C. It has so far happened once last year. This year, the highest temp it registered was 34.4, captured at night when the A/C was off.

I miss the rainy season and the 'ber' months leading up to Jan and Feb, which historically are the only coldest months we have..

7. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

For what it’s worth I’d rather just get a second fan to blow on my rig and leave them there to die lol luckily it’s getting colder na

8. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

Noticed that my UDM-Pro consistently has temperatures in the 58-59 C ever since I turned it on for the first time. In the admin console, it still says that CPU temp is good.
    The UDM-Pro is on a metal grill on an open shelf so there is no problem with airflow.
    Planning to get this: Gigaware USB Fan Router Cooling Fan Cooling Bracket 12CM 5V USB Port Double Fan
    I hope this would help to cool it down.

bowman60 likes this.
  9. bowman60

bowman60 Active Member

lamski likes this.
  10. marvinp

marvinp Active Member

My 12U rack is in a small closet and I installed an Omni 12" ceiling-mounted fan to suck the hot air 24/7. The rack had a slot for a 120mm fan so I re-used an old one I had lying around and powered it with a 12V AC adapter. It helped with the airflow since the temperature never goes above 38 according to the portable sensor inside the rack. I purposely kept the back and left side open.

[​IMG]

11. oj88

Ouch. 38°C is too hot when you're measuring the environmental temp.

The actual active components will be way hotter.

I think the UniFi switch has a 40°C max environment temp thermal design while the Mac Mini has a max of 35°C.

Personally, I'd take the front door off or replace the glass with mesh.

12. bowman60

bowman60 Active Member

You guys think its safe already to turn on remote access in UNIFI?

13. oj88

I'd most likely keep it turned off. I see no need for it, TBH. I can always use VPN to manage my home devices. I see remote access as a potential attack surface I don't need.

bowman60 likes this.
  14. bowman60

bowman60 Active Member

True. Come to think of it, I hardly used it when I had it turned on. I guess its one of those things that you take for granted but suddenly want it back when its taken away.

15. marvinp

marvinp Active Member

Followed your advice and took off the front glass. I also placed a desk fan and pointed it directly in front. Temp went down to 34.

16. oj88

35°C is as high as I'm willing to go. When the environment temp hits that limit for more than a minute. a Routine turns on the A/C and sends me a notification.

[​IMG]

pepspeps and potpot2 like this.
  17. marvinp

marvinp Active Member

I doubt the wife will approve the purchase of a portable A/C to cool off the server rack. But one can dream. ;-)

18. oj88

It’s not a dedicated A/C. It’s the A/C in our living room. You’d think that this will jack up your electricity bill but you’d be wrong. As I‘ve said, this only happened once last year during a particularly hot evening.

It’s just a fail-safe in case the temp goes beyond the acceptable threshold.

If not to prolong the life of the IT components, it’s to prevent them from spontaneously combusting and setting fire to the place.

19. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

Gurus,

For the longest time, my network setup was served by an Apple Timecapsule and an Airport Express. I have a Samsung monochrome laser printer connected to the TC via USB and I was able to print on MacOS and Windows.
    Since switching to a Unifi Dream Machine Pro and a Nano HD access point, I have better coverage and networking performance. However, I could no longer access the printer.
    Originally, I planned to get a Raspberry PI and set it up as the printer server. However, I'm thinking if there is a way to reuse the Airport Express just for the printer functionality i.e. have the Airport Express join the network but routing and the wireless antenna is disabled?

20. oj88

I see a lot of instructions on how the AE and TC are able to join an existing wireless network. Doing so, it disables the built-in router but should still offer whatever services are available (ie. Backup, print server, etc.)

I own neither so you'll just have to try it out for yourself or wait for a more authoritative answer.

lamski likes this.