Home Network Setup

Discussion in 'Networking, Telcos and ISPs' started by oj88, Jun 4, 2013.

1. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

Seven months.

That's the amount of time Ubiquiti's UniFi Controller v6 software has been out (currently on v6.1.71), and it's still riddled with issues.

FWIW, I'm still on v5.14.23. I just can't find any burning need to update.

Ubiquiti ought to shape up though. The TP-Link Omada is fast becoming the new "UniFi".... in more ways than one.

2. marvinp

marvinp Active Member

I'm still on 5.12.60 on my UDM base (firmware 1.5.6) and all APs are on 4.3.28. Only my US-16-150W is on 5.43.23.

3. marvinp

marvinp Active Member

Anybody know how to enable SIP forking for the UDM to use Globe's VOIP on an SIP softphone?

4. jologs

jologs Active Member

Finally installed the Amplifi Alien:

[​IMG]

Pros:
    Setup was super easy (basically, set-and-forget)
    QoS is simple but works great
    WiFi Tx and Rx bitrates are up, especially on my MacBook Pro
    Band steering
    No need to register a cloud account to use this thing
    Space-saving and it just looks so cool

Cons:
    Pricey
    No 160MHz channel bandwidth
    No WPA3 security
    Firewall is not user configurable
    I will not enable remote management and Teleport VPN because of the Ubiquity cloud hack

5. potpot2

potpot2 PhilMUG Addict Member

Guys, which wifi usb dongle/adapter would you recommend?
    Thank You!

6. barre05

barre05 Well-Known Member

Any suggestions for an affordable router thatcan support OpenVPN? I plan to connect it to my fibr modem via LAN, and just use that router exclusively as my VPN router for my gadgets that need an international IP address.

Thank you!

7. oj88

I'd start with router models recommended by your VPN provider.

Some examples:
    https://blog.strongvpn.com/new-strongvpn-router-additions/
    https://www.expressvpn.com/vpn-software/vpn-router#recommended-routers

My VPN router, a Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H, was one of the supported routers recommended by my VPN provider. I did had to install a specific DD-WRT firmware as well as run a custom script (both were available from their site). This setup has been running for 8 years straight. I'm sure it has gotten a lot easier now.

barre05 likes this.
  8. fcdiesta

fcdiesta PhilMUG Addict Member

I had an Asus AC68u running as a VPN router before. Did not have to install anything as the UI already had an OpenVPN option. Just load the OVPN file from your VPN provider as well as their provided credentials and you're good to go. Had to reboot it a couple of times though, maybe every two months...

9. potpot2

potpot2 PhilMUG Addict Member

I’m planning to subscribe to another isp, so there will be a backup whenever, which is quite often, converge is down. Can you recommend what brand and model of network switch i should buy, the one that can handle 2 isps and one that can combine the speed of the 2 isp if they are both working.
    Thanks

10. JMacalinao

JMacalinao Active Member

Hey guys, just sharing the dashboard and setup I've been using to continuously monitor my internet throughput.

Also providing the files and stuff to get one running on your premises. (You'll need Docker for this.) https://github.com/JMacalinao/speedtest-influx

dashboard.png

I've got other dashboards in Grafana that I use to monitor stuff (Mikrotik, Blocky/DNS, Proxmox servers, Kubernetes, UPS). Most of them are already ready-made, but some I've tweaked and customized over the years. :)

Sunil_K, raypin, gaol and 3 others like this.
  11. oj88

^ It would be awesome if you can develop a How-To step-by-step guide, especially on how to set it up with Docker in Windows Server 2019.

Or can I run it alongside my Pi-hole, running on a Debian VM in ESXi? Sorry, just spit-balling.

12. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

Much better if you can run it along side with Pi-hole in your Debian instance. But running it on WS2019 is fine. Also make sure your Pi-hole ports and docker container ports don't conflict into each other.

Aside from the docker-ce, you may want to also install docker-compose for much better container management.

Guides from DO:
    Docker CE
    Docker Compose

Mini visual to differentiate Hypervisors vs Containers:
    [​IMG]

If you're into a visual than cli, you can try first Portainer, a universal container management tool.

oj88 likes this.
  13. JMacalinao

JMacalinao Active Member

@pepspeps has you guys covered. :) Agree, Docker is easier to manage in Linux IMO. I helped my brother set up his network recently, and recommended him to containerize most of his apps (Portainer, Pi-hole, Omada controller, nginx as reverse proxy, and Speedtest) so he can save resources on the PC he's using as a server (it's old... it only has 2 cores and 8GB of RAM).

As for setting up the Speedtest thing, install Docker and Docker Compose based on the instructions above, and then:

Code:
    git clone https://github.com/JMacalinao/speedtest-influx.git
    cd speedtest-influx
    sudo docker-compose up -d
    Updated the README to include the above.

With regards to ports, you just need to be mindful of the port mapping of Grafana, as it's set to port 3000. If you want a different port for it, modify the first "3000" in "3000:3000" in the docker-compose.yml file. (To apply changes after running the compose file, you do "docker-compose down" then "docker-compose up -d" again.)

Also, in that file, you can change the interval in which Speedtest runs (by default it runs every hour, but in my case it runs every 12 minutes, or 5 times an hour), and which Speedtest server to use (I use 34625 on mine, which is the PLDT Makati server).

lamski, oj88 and pepspeps like this.