Home Network Setup

Discussion in 'Networking, Telcos and ISPs' started by oj88, Jun 4, 2013.

1. pepspeps

pepspeps PhilMUG Addict Member

^ Yeah, smh. I was reading about it earlier and the way they are handling their breaches and updates, I think this is the last straw for me. I'm getting tired of it.

On a business perspective, I'll be moving all of my clients out of the Ubiquiti ecosystem. It will be a tough climb to convince them, but I think it is for the best. Besides, most of them are already due for an upgrade. Fortunately, all of them are not using the cloud system and remote access, using a self-hosted controller setup.

Looking now at Engenius, Cambium Networks, Ruckus, TP-Link Omada and Aruba for alternatives. The Meraki line is just nuts on licensing.

2. max_Moon

max_Moon Active Member

3. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

The only mitigation you can do for now is to disable remote access. I only have UAPs so that's no issue. If you have UDMs or USGs, they need a cloud SSO account during setup but I'm not sure if you'll be able to disable remote access afterwards.

The last two years has been Ubiquiti's lowest point, IMO. They were all the hype way back 2016, around the time I bought my UAPs. But in the last couple of years, they've gone stale at innovating and started churning out faulty firmware.

Sunil_K and pepspeps like this.
  4. bowman60

bowman60 Active Member

Oh my...I use a USG, several AP's around the house, a cloud key and have remote access on. hmmmm(n)

Disabled remote access for now.

#904 bowman60, Apr 1, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  5. oj88

Here's a summary of what happened and ways to mitigate it.

bowman60 likes this.
  6. bowman60

bowman60 Active Member

Thanks for that. Did it just in case.

7. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

Just got ourselves a cheap ‘UPS’ from Lazada for the Fibr modem, Google Wifi and EdgeRouterX. It is basically a powerbank with 2 12v DC inputs + 1 5v USB input.
    A02F2F51-437C-44EA-8B75-688C1136E12A.jpeg

jayparalejas likes this.
  8. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

To everyone using server racks in the philippines, how do you keep things cool? What’s your average temp?

9. JMacalinao

JMacalinao Active Member

Mine is a bit extreme, but I have no choice, really. It has been on ambient, non-air conditioned room temperatures from the start (putting it in an air-conditioned room isn't possible in my case). Current room temp is 35C, servers also read 35C ambient. Have seen it as high as 41C (happened once or twice last year). But apparently these things are very robust... Nothing has died on me in the last four years due to temps (knock on wood), only power outages (resulting to hard drive failure). I've fixed that with a UPS and nothing has died since.

In my experience, airflow is just as much a major factor as temps, so what I do is keep the back of the rack open (even though the door is perforated) so the hot air isn't trapped inside.

Hero33 likes this.
  10. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

I literally bought an “industrial” branded fan to blow air from to the front to the back and leave it on 24/7. The fan is bought to die lol let’s see how far Hanabishi “industrial” lasts lol it dropped 10 degrees which was a wow moment for me.

water cooling looks to scary for the price of the equipment

11. JMacalinao

JMacalinao Active Member

Similar setup. But I have two fans (not industrial though) that alternate twice a day automatically in an attempt to make them last longer. :D A year has passed, still going strong.

12. iDarwin

iDarwin Active Member

anybody who can help me troubleshoot my network set-up? I am subscribed to PLDT and using a Tenda nova MW3 mesh wifi. When I plug my laptop directly to my PLDT modem, it's giving me 150mbps consistently. But when I plug my laptop to the mesh wifi via LAN its only giving me 90mbps. mesh wifi is wired to the PLDT modem. I've used the same type of LAN cable to connect PLDT modem to mesh wifi to laptop and when I did the PLDT modem to laptop so I am sure its not the LAN cable. Why is my mesh wifi throttling the speed coming from the PLDT modem.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

13. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

Hmm, it looks like the ethernet ports of the Tenda MW3 mesh wifi are only fast ethernet (which has a maximum of 100mbps) instead of gigabit ethernet (up to 1000mbps or 1 gbps).

Checking the Tenda website confirms this: https://www.tendacn.com/en/product/specification/MW3.html

Interface
    2 Fast Ethernet ports per mesh node
    WAN and LAN on primary mesh node
    Both act as LAN ports on additional mesh nodes

This means you might actually be better off connecting via wifi to have a chance to get speeds closer to 150mbps; according to the Tenda specs, the 2.4G wifi bandwidth is up to 300mbps and the 5G wifi is up to 867mbps.

#913 gaol, Apr 9, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    iDarwin likes this.
  14. iDarwin

iDarwin Active Member

Thanks for the quick reponse. Not sure now How to connect my tenda to pldt modem via wifi if its even possible :(

15. manager

manager Active Member

Your Tenda is set up correctly and its ethernet can only give you 100Mbps max.

Have you checked the wifi speed? Any reason the laptop needs a wired connection?

16. iDarwin

iDarwin Active Member

Because the tenda’s ethernet taps out at 100mbps, the connection from modem to tenda also maxed out at 100mbps therefore wifi using tenda Mesh is only 100mbps. :(

buying a single mw6 tenda node that supports gigabit ethernet to act as my primary node. Hope this fixes things for me.

17. manager

manager Active Member

that sucks. I thought at least the main port was gigabit.

can't you return or have it exchanged to a higher spec mesh?

18. oj88

First time I've seen a mesh 802.11AC WiFi product that doesn't have a gigabit port.... and it's just a little over 2 years old.

19. max_Moon

max_Moon Active Member

They cut corners for that model.

20. oj88

Like being sold a 500HP car that's been speed-governed to only do 60kph.

iDarwin likes this.