Home Network Setup

Discussion in 'Networking, Telcos and ISPs' started by oj88, Jun 4, 2013.

1. potpot2

potpot2 PhilMUG Addict Member

Guys, our embedded cat cable is cat 6. Are we still safe for the future?

2. tweek

tweek Well-Known Member

I asked this question a decade ago. I was told the best way to future proof is to have an above wall conduit so you can change cables on demand. The thing is we're still using the same copper-based LAN cable since 100Mbs Ethernet. 10Gbit Ethernet still uses the same cable. I doubt any household would be using that data connection by 2051.

What I would do though is run conduits to both internal and exterior of the house. Reason being that you can install wired IP cameras (CCTV) and smart doorbell all powered by Power Over Ethernet (PoE) without need of WiFi or external power supply.

US standard for surveillance cameras is transitioning to 4K/8MP from 4MP. It should be good until 2031 when 8K/33MP cameras sell for under $200.

1080p/2MP surveillance video is good enough to detect if a car or person is there. It makes it very difficult to ID the person or read vehicle plate number.

#862 tweek, Jan 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    potpot2 likes this.
  3. potpot2

Can i connect a switch to the secondary port of the ap ac pro?

Attached Files:

4. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

Check out this video regarding the secondary port:

potpot2 likes this.
  5. potpot2

Do you guys always use 5Ghz only, or still activates the 2.4Ghz radio? Lately, the speed between this 2 during a speedtest is so big that I’m thinking of turning off the 2.4Ghz

6. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

I have both turned on for best compatibility and range because most, if not all, of my IoT devices requires 2.4 GHz.

You don't have to turn off 2.4GHz. It still provides better range for when you need it. But if you really need high-bandwidth devices to use only 5GHz, you can have different SSIDs for 2.4 and 5GHz so each device will only associate to the SSID it needs to be on.

potpot2 likes this.
  7. fcdiesta

fcdiesta PhilMUG Addict Member

Like @oj88, I have both turned on due to some IoT devices on my network. If you want, you can always turn on "Enable Advanced Features" in Settings, then select "Band Steering" and turn on "Prefer 5G" although I'm not sure how effectively it keeps devices on the 5GHz band. In any case, I don't notice any slowdowns on my wireless devices with the setting turned on. Of course, YMMV...

potpot2 likes this.
  8. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Anyone got a Unifi Switch Pro? Where did you source yours?

9. makinao

makinao Active Member

I just got a Deco M5 system from PLDT fibr. Question: if my fibr goes dead, can I disconnect the Deco M5 and plug it in to my backup PLDT Home Prepaid router without reseting anything?

10. potpot2

what do you think of the xiaomi wifi 6 ax3600 router? i'm planning to get one.
    thanks!

11. lamski

Have you guys used the augmented reality view of the Unifi app? Very cool and useful.

12. oj88

The AR is awesome but is somewhat gimmicky and limited. Those info, and more, can easily be found in the Controller. It's a neat parlor trick, at least on face value.

In the IT world, finding out what is connected to where are stuff for newbs to figure out. :D

potpot2 likes this.
  13. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

Can anyone refer a reputable (won’t cheat with length or weight) supplier of box of 5e or 100m of 6a cables? What’s the usual fair price for these?

don’t really trust Lazada.

14. bowman60

bowman60 Active Member

Anyone has experience/feedback on the ubiquiti dream machine all in one? Really interested though if I get it it'll replace an AC88u so probably same performance. But the UI of ubiquiti is really tempting.

15. ailes

ailes Active Member

what is the affordable yet quality ethernet switch to use?

16. oj88

You'll need to supply more information like, how many ports do you need or are you powering up PoE devices? Just to cite a few.

17. frequenzy

frequenzy Active Member

18. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

Aside from Globe Fiber, we just recently subscribed to PLDT Fiber as a backup/secondary ISP at our workplace.

What would be a recommended dual WAN router, that's easy to setup and maintain? We don't have a full-time system administrator (so I wear the hat among several other hats). Basically we just need to make sure that we have, as much as possible, uninterrupted internet access for the multiple Google Meet sessions and Google Suite access happening throughout the day, for six people who are online.

ailes likes this.
  19. lamski

You can try checking out the Ubiquiti Edge Routers. You can configure the ports to become WAN or LAN, depending on your needs. It also supports WAN failovers and balancing.
    The Unifi Dream Machine Pro has 2 WAN ports (1 ethernet and one SFP port. You probably need to purchase an SFP to RJ45 adaptor to use WAN2) and only supports failover. But it has the Unifi controller UI which might make it easier to administer your network.

gaol likes this.
  20. marvinp

marvinp Active Member

I use a UDM Base with 2 AC-Lites, 1 AC-LR, 1 AC-Mesh and 5 Flex Minis. Still on firmware 1.5.6 since it's working perfectly for my set-up (1 main vlan and 1 IOT vlan) for around 50 clients.