Home Network Setup

Discussion in 'Networking, Telcos and ISPs' started by oj88, Jun 4, 2013.

1. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

2. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

My Unifi NanoHD arrived yesterday.
    Spent the day decommissioning my time capsule and airport express. The nanoHD covered the entire house, even the areas where coverage was spotty before.
    upload_2021-1-13_2-43-21.png

Sunil_K, Hero33 and potpot2 like this.
  3. potpot2

potpot2 PhilMUG Addict Member

How many storeys are there in your home? And where did you position the nano? Thanks

4. lamski

It's a 2 story, 2 bedroom apartment. The interior walls are mostly wood. I found a spot near the center of the first floor ceiling.

5. jologs

jologs Active Member

6. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

what are you using as a router and switch?

7. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

Any Google Nest Wifi users based in the Philippines? And have you got yours to work?

My Google Wifi pucks (bought in Japan) work well.
    But my Google Nest Wifi routers (bought in the US) can't connect to the Internet.

Is there a special setting that I'm missing?

8. lamski

I'm using a Unifi Dream Machine Pro for the router/switch.

potpot2 likes this.
  9. lamski

Doing some back reading, I saw some posts about upgrade issues with Unifi products.

Just got a notification of a new firmware for Unifi APs (version 5.43.23.12533). This firmware was already in the release candidate branch 23 days ago. How safe is it to upgrade Unifi device firmware?

Update: I decided to upgrade anyway. The install went smoothly and is a success.

#849 lamski, Jan 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  10. marvinp

marvinp Active Member

I'm still on 4.3.24.11355 official for my UAPs (2 Lites, 1 LR, 1 Mesh and the UDM).

11. fcdiesta

fcdiesta PhilMUG Addict Member

I've already upgraded my controller and AP's to the latest versions. I waited a few weeks before upgrading due to the issues you mentioned. Major upgrades like that (from version 5 to version 6 of the controller) can always come with bugs and problems so I try to hold off on them until I'm sure all the major issues have been resolved.

12. mongkee

mongkee PhilMUG Addict Member

i'm a "update now, troubleshoot later" kinda guy when it comes to all my devices. I've always updated to the latest controller and firmware version whenever there's a new one available from Ubiquiti. never had any issues but I'm still considering it as just being lucky so far.

13. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm an early adopter myself but Ubiquiti has taught me why being on the latest version isn't always the best thing.

Improvements, whether in functionality or security, are always welcome and it's the primary reason why updates are released on a regular basis. Unfortunately, Ubiquiti can be very aggressive with their changes which ends up potentially creating more problems than they fix. The update from UniFi Controller 5.x to 6.x will go down as one of the worst, IMO.

And then with the recent firmware update for the UniFi CloudKey Gen 2, they have removed multi-site management features as well as requiring Internet connectivity (and a UniFi Cloud acct) when setting up.... the former was used as a selling point, now gone, while the latter makes it easier for Ubiquiti to cut support when these devices enter EoL.

The trend I see, at least for the moment is that, little by little, Ubiquiti is crippling the enterprise features out of the UniFi product line to make it more Apple-ish. This is done so by removing some of the more advanced features. My take is, they can very well walk and chew gum at the same time so I don't know why they can't just include both basic and advanced configuration menus within the same interface. Unless, again, they're shifting the UniFi line to be more consumer-friendly.

So unless you have a simple network with one or maybe a couple of SSIDs/VLANs which you can probably recreate in 5 minutes, you're going to be ok. I have 8 SSIDs/VLANs with over 100 devices connecting to it. WiFi has become a backbone for a lot of things here at home and even a minor hiccup can snowball into a major headache.

mongkee and lamski like this.
  14. mongkee

mongkee PhilMUG Addict Member

Makes sense. I do have a simple network setup though. I made it that way so that I don't have to be bothered to troubleshoot a complicated one... I'm a service desk officer at work so i don't wanna do the same thing when at home lol

15. oj88

It is complicated because it needs to be.

But I hear ya.

16. fcdiesta

Yeah, I just heard about these changes they are implementing which is causing a real Ruckus in Aruba. LOL! Anyway, do any of you know of any alternatives to Unifi products that can perform as well as they do (before all this changes they have brought on) for residential or small business use? Although I'm perfectly happy with my current Unifi setup (and will refrain from any firmware updates for the moment until all this has died down), I just want to explore any other options, just in case...

17. oj88

Watch this.

TL;DW: There's an up and coming UniFi look-alike.... the TP-Link Omada. But as the reviewer indicated, they're not yet ready for prime time. Then there's also Ruckus Unleashed, which I think is very close to UniFi. With pricing targeted for SMBs, this is probably the next-cheapest enterprise product that should be more than enough for the most complex of home networks.

fcdiesta likes this.
  18. fcdiesta

Re: the Ubiquiti/Unifi brouhaha regarding multi-site support, a member of Team Ubiquiti finally answered in the forums that they do not plan to remove multi-site support:

https://community.ui.com/questions/...1#answer/c19d1e20-9eb5-49cb-8f2a-05519b72f442

https://community.ui.com/questions/...1#answer/7b0b3f4e-833d-474f-b1f2-df623ca786e1

They also released controller firmware 6.0.45 to bring back the ability to add sites to your controller. So maybe it's just a bug? Nevertheless, I think the incident, intentional or not, has already done a lot of damage to their brand especially since they have not been transparent about their corporate roadmap or forthcoming with any official reactions to such complaints. Oh well...

19. oj88

Yes, the multi-site features were brought back with the latest update. But that's just the point... It appears that Ubiquiti has set a very low bar on the quality of their software and firmware releases. Oftentimes, they'll have software marked as "Stable" or "General Release" that breaks a previously-functioning feature.

I understand that bugs are a thing even on Stable releases, but the level of mistakes being made I think should've been something that was caught in Alpha or Beta, not in Stable/General releases. As a customer, this doesn't bestow much confidence in their QA process...

Unless we are all unwilling participants of their QA. Yikes!

20. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

A
    Does that mean you’re using an injector for power cause the UDM pro doesn’t have POE?