Home Network Setup

Discussion in 'Networking, Telcos and ISPs' started by oj88, Jun 4, 2013.

1. fcdiesta

fcdiesta PhilMUG Addict Member

Not sure if this is what you're looking for (I don't have a UDM Pro) but here are the steps for WAN port remapping on the UDM Pro.
    1. Navigate to the Devices > UDM > Ports > WAN > Configure Interfaces section to assign the WAN networks to the ports.
    2. If the WAN network is not listed, then create it first in the Settings > Internet > WAN Networks section.
    3. To switch the WAN Networks, first change the Port WAN1 Network from WAN to Disabled, then change the Port WAN2 Network from WAN2 to WAN.
    4. Finally, change the Port WAN1 Network from Disabled to WAN2 and apply the changes.

5. Navigate to the Devices > UDM > Details section to verify that both WAN interfaces are up and have an IP address assigned.

lamski likes this.
  2. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

Thanks! That worked.
    My next problem - when I connect my Apple Time Capsule to the UDM, it doesn't seem to be getting a new IP address from the UDM.
    I have the connection setup this way: [internet] --- [converge ONU] --- [UDM WAN1] --- [time capsule on eth 1 LAN] --- wireless --- [mac]
    On the UDM, I only see the following networks: LAN, WAN1, and WAN2.
    Are there additional steps to make this work?

3. fcdiesta

Since the Time Capsule also acts like a wireless router, I'm guessing you will have to get the TC into Bridge Mode and disable it's wifi radios first before it can pick up an IP address.

Found a helpful guide below:
    https://www.macobserver.com/tmo/ans...irport-extreme-to-an-existing-network-with-br

#823 fcdiesta, Jan 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    lamski likes this.
  4. ironclaw79

ironclaw79 Member

I have a basic wireless ASUS router setup. Sometimes, some of my devices connected to the 5 ghz band randomly disconnect, and cannot reconnect or detect the network. However, these devices can connect to the 2.4 ghz band of the same router. I cannot pinpoint the cause of the issue since this happens to one or two random devices, while the other devices have stable connection. Quick fix is to restart the router, but the problem shows up again after quite some time Has anyone encountered this, and what should I do?

5. lamski

Thanks for the guide. It was was very helpful. Since I'm currently using the time capsule for work, I think I'll wait and get a Unifi AP in the coming days. I would be easier to manage via Unifi controller then.

6. mongkee

mongkee PhilMUG Addict Member

Sharing mine. In the event that Converge is down, I do a simple switchover where I disconnect the Converge router from my network and connect my prepaid PLDT home wifi.

Connected to the POE switch are 3 Unifi AC APs (2 Lite and 1 LR) plus another AC Lite on a "mobile" stand I can deploy anywhere within the house if any of my AP's go down (which has never happened anyway ever since I got them 3 years ago). Connected to the D-Link switch are just the LAN ports for each room.

IMG_7408.jpg

If budget (and the wife) permits I'd want to replace my D-Link switch to a 24-port Unifi POE switch so I can get rid of my current POE switch and have a cleaner setup.

civic05, Hero33 and lamski like this.
  7. fcdiesta

Good idea. IMO, Unifi AP's work much better than the old (now obsolete) Apple routers especially when paired with the UDM Pro you just bought.

lamski likes this.
  8. potpot2

potpot2 PhilMUG Addict Member

Can i disable the dhcp on my converge provided modem, and then enable the dhcp server on my tenda ac23?

9. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

what kind of cable do you use for POE for the Unify switch?

10. JMacalinao

JMacalinao Active Member

Depends on the modem, but you usually can. There's an option you can uncheck in the modem once you're logged into its admin UI (at least, the one on mine did).

Edit: It looks like this:
    [​IMG]

potpot2 likes this.
  11. mongkee

mongkee PhilMUG Addict Member

Belden CAT5e

12. potpot2

We have the same modem. Thanks. I can see that settings but im afraid to uncheck it as it might cause problem. But if you had tried it already, i think I’ll do so also

13. JMacalinao

JMacalinao Active Member

I have tried it, but turned it back on since it's unnecessary for me. Not really an issue turning it off as long as the devices connected to it have static IPs or if there's another DHCP server in the network.

What's the purpose of turning it off in your case? Are you trying to put your modem and router into a single network?

14. lamski

Anyone here experienced setting up their PLDT modem to bridge mode?
    I currently have a PROLiNK PRS1241B ADSL2+ Wireless Modem/Router. Currently, it has the following WAN interfaces:
    upload_2021-1-9_13-15-54.png
    I know that a0 point to the 4 LAN ports, while a1 is the IPTV port.

Currently, a0 is using the mer1483 protocol. If I go to the WAN setup screen, I can select a0 and edit the protocol:
    upload_2021-1-9_13-24-27.png
    If I set it to "1483 Bridged" and saved the config, will that enable bridge mode? Will my 3rd-party router get the 100.88.xxx.xx WAN IP?
    I'm a bit scared of making this change since I read some posts in other forums saying that the modem GUI would no longer be accessible and I might not be able to revert the change if needed.

15. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

That is true (web GUI becomes inaccessible), but you can still open it if you set your connection (preferably LAN) to static ip setup.

if your account/modem has provisions for bridge mode it should work like what you said. Otherwise you’ll see CGNAT or a stalled configuration - especially phone line not working. If that happens you can always revert back or reset the modem

16. potpot2

Im thinking of turning off the dhcp server of the converge modem, and turning on the dhcp server of my own router. Then will connect a switch, then after the switch, three more aps, all wired

17. lamski

Gave it a try, but when I rebooted the modem, a0 was no longer getting an IP address. Reverted the change and it got an IP again.

18. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

that happens when the modem don’t “call home” to get it’s configuration.

There’s still another step to disable remote configuration so your modem is like in ‘standalone’ mode but it requires provisioning from PLDT.

19. lamski

I see. I'll leave it alone for now. I applied for a fiber upgrade last December. I hope PLDT Fibr rolls out in our area this year.

20. JMacalinao

JMacalinao Active Member