Home Network Setup

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by oj88, Jun 4, 2013.

1. potpot2

potpot2 PhilMUG Addict Member

I updated 4 aps and my controller last night. Everything went smoothly.

2. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

No issues encountered so far.

[​IMG]

3. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

No missing features or menu items?

4. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

Forgot this one:

There's a setting that I usually set on new sites. Option to change the DTIM settings of a particular Wireless Network is gone or missing.

It should be under Settings > WiFi > (Edit Wireless Network Name) > Advanced , but it is nowhere to be found when the New Settings (Alpha) is enabled.

#784 pepspeps, Oct 23, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  5. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

Also, I had to downgrade the firmware of all APs from 4.3.21 > 4.3.20. WiFi roaming on the latest firmware is broken for me.
    [​IMG]

6. oj88

^ Appreciate you making the effort to share your experience.

That said, I am not really running into any problems with 5.14.23 and unless a new feature becomes compelling, I'll stay here for now. With over 100 devices depending on my WiFi, I'd be remiss if I did anything that could introduce more problems than the update could fix.

7. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

Updated UniFi controller from 6.0.28 to 6.0.36 with no problems so far.

APs firmware still at 4.3.20. I can confirm that WiFi roaming is stable at this version.

8. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

If I were building a house today I'd have have a user accessible conduit in each room and outdoor point where a CCTV would be installed.

So I could upgrade from 1Gb Ethernet, 10Gb Ethernet and 100Gb Ethernet, etc.

9. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

Can I just rant that our unify ubiquity 24 500 watt died after a year right after typhoon rolly?

they market to be higher than prosumer but last shorter than low end routers.

10. oj88

Big "if"... but yes, that's the way to do it. When I had my place renovated 9 years ago, I had Cat6 cables going to each room. I use it for devices that are somewhat permanent and has an Ethernet port like streaming boxes, smart TVs, PCs, NAS, servers, etc. But alas, more than 80% of the devices on my network are WiFi... mobile, IOTs, and other smart devices. But I do have the next best thing... all my APs are hardwired to gigabit Ethernet. None of that mesh stuff.

11. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

Mesh isn't the way if you want reliability, response time and throughput. Mesh is convenient if you're tamad.

12. oj88

Could've gotten a lemon. It happens.