Home Network Setup

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by oj88, Jun 4, 2013.

1. fcdiesta

fcdiesta PhilMUG Addict Member

I have only used (and am currently using) ExpressVPN and I recommend it. It has loads of servers all over the world. It also has servers in the Philippines, which is quite useful when you're abroad and need to access services only available at home. Using it does reduce internet speeds by about 25-50%.

WickedMac and Sunil_K like this.
  2. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member

Im using ExpressVPN and very happy with it

raypin and WickedMac like this.
  3. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

Goddamn UniFi 6.0.20 update, broke my wireless network.

For those updating from 5.14 to 6, make sure you backup first. I have my backups, but the update did not properly carried out the update on my VLAN configuration. I had to manually re-configure and re-assign to fix it.

4. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I've been reading a few horror stories as well from the UniFi community.

Which part of your configuration did not restore properly from backup? I have about 7 or 8 VLANs configured across 4 APs. It would be a pain to recreate them.

pepspeps likes this.
  5. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

Under Settings > WiFi > (Main SSID) > Network.

On my setup, it should be Default. But after the update, it was set to Vlan only network - 10. This VLAN 10 is one of my previous VLANs that I am not using anymore.

[​IMG]

First time to experience a botched update. But fwiw, I actually accidentally ran the update on my production vm. Should have tested it first :rolleyes:

Good thing the kids had no classes today. (Bulacan day - Malolos Republic)

oj88 likes this.
  6. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

I also had a small problem with the update. All access points had erratic connections to the clients. I was going to restore from back up, but a power cycle to the POE fixed it. Next time, my updates will be done on the weekends when there's no classes.

pepspeps likes this.
  7. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

DO NOT UPDATE to 6.0.22. Lots of broken UI elements, specifically, the accordion/expanding blocks.

Wtf is happening to Ubiquiti. smh

8. fcdiesta

Holding off on any Unifi updates at the moment. This is a major update (from 5.X to 6.0) so I guess holding off for a month or so might be more prudent. Hoping all the kinks will be ironed out by then...

pepspeps likes this.
  9. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

Anyone using this in their Medium Size Network?

raypin likes this.
  10. oj88

I'm not touching the UniFi Controller v6.x.... not even with a ten-foot pole. This is a disaster.

Working mostly around corporate business environments, I've known for a long while that it is widely understood in the IT world that there's a reason why enterprise equipment, as compared to consumer and enthusiast-targeted equipment, are conservative in adding cutting-edge features. They are careful not to break anything by haphazardly introducing new points of failures because equipment stability and security are paramount. This was true with Ubiquiti, way back. But now, it seems they have lost their way. They still make some of the the best APs for the price and I truly hope that they eventually find their way back.

11. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member

They have a mesh system called AmpliFi Router and Mesh Point

I was just about to purchase this then the lock down happened. Had to cancel my order.

12. jologs

jologs Active Member

I almost ordered the standalone Alien WiFi 6 router but the deal-breaker for me is that it doesn't support WPA3 and 160MHz channel widths.

Sunil_K likes this.
  13. oj88

Here's the skinny on UniFi Controller 6.0.2x

14. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

There's a new update 6.0.22. Which I'm guessing is supposed to fix the bugs from the 6.0.20. But, I'm going to wait longer this time.

15. oj88

Wise move.

Just some of the select complaints by other users who were brave enough:

There are many more like it.

To be fair, there are workarounds to get your ducks in a row after updating, but this shouldn't be the case. If you have a production network with tens or hundreds of APs, this is going to be a nightmare.

16. fcdiesta

Tom Lawrence still has some complaints -- especially for certain network setups (and a more thorough test) of Unifi 6.0.22 here:

TL;DW: Hold off on upgrading. For now...

#776 fcdiesta, Sep 21, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  17. WickedMac

WickedMac Active Member

Thanks everyone for the recommendation! Will try ExpressVPN

18. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

UniFi 6.0.23 fixes all of the UI problems I've encountered since the previous release.

Now, I hope they move on to performance fixes. Lots of anomalies on my setup since 6.0.

[​IMG]

19. oj88

Updated the firmware on all 4 of my UAPs to 4.3.21.11325 and everything went smoothly.

I'm still on Controller v5.14.23 and I will stay here until they release a v6.x that is provably stable.