Home Network Setup

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by oj88, Jun 4, 2013.

1. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

^ Do you have the link to that document?

I've been blessed with close to 20 years of networking background so this is not particularly rocket science to me.

I've got 8 VLANs, including IoT, guest, and VPN access for streaming devices.

2. legato

legato Member

8 VLANs Nice!

Found it here => https://github.com/mjp66/Ubiquiti

Ordered the UAP-AC-LITE, now Im thinking of getting a spare ERX because I don't wanna screw up my network when my family is using it.

#742 legato, Aug 29, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  3. oj88

Wow. I admire the author of that doc. It's long because he provided a very detailed walkthrough, explaining things each step of the way. You can probably skip around features you don't need.

Just backup your configs and and keep them handy for when you really need to roll back.

4. barre05

barre05 Well-Known Member

Pardon the n0ob questions.

I'm thinking of getting pureVPN to get some Disney+ content for my little girl. Does pureVPN work with the PLDT FIBR modem? Meaning, how do I apply the pureVPN account to the modem so that all devices that connect to it (TVs, phones, laptops) are automatically covered by the VPN?

It's such a hassle kasi if i have to apply the VPN on all devices pa, and the TVs can't even be covered by the VPN.

Sorry, i tried to search this thread for answers, but I can't seem to find any. If I missed it, would anyone be nice enough to point me to it? Thank you in advance.

5. jmkerr12

jmkerr12 Member

i am here for this! Haha

help us!

6. fcdiesta

fcdiesta PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm no networking expert but just a warning, doing it this way will effectively reduce your download speed to about half or maybe even less.It's also not advisable to route a modem through a VPN. Better to get a wifi router and do the VPN routing there, then follow your VPN provider's guide for using their service on a router. For PureVPN, you can access their guides here: https://support.purevpn.com/article-categories/getting-started/router

7. oj88

I'm almost certain that the PLDT ONU won't support that configuration. The simplest way to achieve what you want (and not muck around with the ONU) is to buy a 2nd router and connect it behind the ONU. You may want to check this page out: https://support.purevpn.com/article-categories/getting-started/router

Give the 2nd router a unique SSID and it should be on a different WiFi channel. Then on your devices, you can choose between the two available SSIDs ("Main" or "VPN", in my example), depending on your intention; So for normal internet traffic, choose the PLDT ONU's SSID or LAN ports. For traffic destined to the VPN, connect it to 2nd router's SSID or LAN ports.

I'm feeling generous so I drew up the following for you to be able to clearly visualize.

TL;DR - Everything connected to the PLDT ONU (Left) will have a local public IP address. Use this for everyday browsing and latency-sensitive traffic like online games, etc. Everything connected to the 2nd router (Right) will be accessing the internet through the VPN and therefore, would appear to have a foreign public IP address.

[​IMG]

This is exactly how I do it.... only with overkill hardware. I don't want everyone to be perpetually on VPN unless we need to access geo-locked content or sites. For my network, anything connected to VLAN 80 will pass through the VPN. All other VLANs won't.

[​IMG]

Theus, fcdiesta, legato and 4 others like this.
  8. barre05

OMG, you answered my no0b questions perfectly. For a non-techie person like me, this is a godsend.

Thanks so much. Really appreciate the answers and the effort to put it in layman's terms, brother.

Also, this setup solves the throttling down of the DL and UL speeds that will be a problem had I resorted to using the VPN on the entire network.

Again, my sincerest thanks!

9. barre05

So update on my Home Network concern:

I bought a new router, and I subscribed to PureVPN. Their servers work, for the most part. I've tried several USA servers, as well as a UK server. And these servers work, with most pages detecting them according to the country they're supposed to be in.

But my problem lies with Disney+. The disneyplus splash page detects the appropriate country (in my server's case, the USA). So the "log-in" or "sign-up" icons appear, as a result. Ordinarily, with my local Philippine-based IP address, only the "Sign up for updates" button appears.

But when I click sign-up or log-in, the next page fails to load, suggesting that Disney+ is blocking me because it detects the VPN. Anyone experiencing similar problems? Any workaround this? Don't get me wrong, not doing anything illegal or pirated here. I'm paying for my VPN annually, and I plan to pay for my Disney+ similarly. It's just that I can't even sign up for an account.

10. oj88

I've only used my Roku 3s to watch D+. Haven't tried it with any other streaming device, mobile or PC. D+ is a bit strict. Your next hurdle would likely be payment, as they only accept US-based payment modes. I got through that by subscribing through Roku.

11. Shinahashirome

Shinahashirome Active Member

I think Disney+ is notorious for blocking VPNs. As a workaround, I've found this link: https://www.screenbinge.com/news/disney-plus-vpn-issue/

12. fcdiesta

Juat a question on this setup: If your mobile devices connect to the main SSID, can they still access the streaming devices on the VPN SSID? For example, if you were watching a Youtube video on your iPhone and you wanted to show it to the family on say, a Roku or Apple TV, connected to the VPN SSID, can the phone connect to it directly?

13. oj88

I don't do casting so I can't confirm whether or not it would work. But if I look at it from a technical standpoint, I doubt that it will.

Once your streaming devices are on the VPN SSID, all traffic to and from it will be going through the VPN tunnel, which terminates at your VPN provider's network (ie. PureVPN). They won't even be able to see the first router or any devices between the 1st and 2nd router (ie. Main).

Casting requires you to be on the same network (ie. same subnet, same SSID). In some cases, it might work across different VLANs but your switch and/or router should be able to support multicasting (IGMPv3).

TL;DR. Both devices should ideally be on the same network to be able to cast content.

14. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

Depending on how the VPN tunnel is configured but normally yes you still can.

Airplay of region-controlled content from iPhone (outside VPN) and AppleTV (inside VPN) is tricky - mostly fails. That’s another point of discussion though :)

Edit: is the Main SSID different network (pldt modem)? If so I don’t think this will work. I only got to try this inside my main network (edgerouter) with VPN-tunnel subnets, and default main network.

15. fcdiesta

That's what I thought. Anyway, thanks for confirming this. I already have my Roku (and just my Roku) routed through the VPN but have not set up VLANs for my IOT devices so will try that out soon...

16. legato

legato Member

Chickened out and got a spare ERX for testing. Looking back you were probably right. Could have saved if I just went for it.

Simple 1 main network and 1 IOT in a VLAN. Can now play with Siri to turn lights on or off with Beijing (hopefully) only able to snoop in my IOT network hahha

Would you consider TV as IOT ? Not really sure

17. macxchange

macxchange Well-Known Member

Hi Guys. I was wondering if someone can lead me to making my Converge provided router in bridge mode since I'm using a different wifi router. Thanks!

18. WickedMac

WickedMac Active Member

Hi, I'm thinking of getting VPN but don't know which one to subscribe to. Can I have recommendations?

Will using VPN slow down my internet speed?

TIA!

19. manager

manager Active Member

ExpressVPN is my fave.

Nord is a bit simplistic but good too.

Speeds should be the same. Mine are not affected but YMMV.

WickedMac likes this.
  20. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm planning to switch to Tor Guard when my ExpressVPN expires later this month. Honest VPN reviews give Tor Guard a higher score than the other popular VPNs (ex. ExpressVPN, NordVPN). By honest I mean these reviewers refer VPNs based on their honest opinions, and not because they get a higher commission for every referral. NordVPN's advertises a lot and gets high rating from reviewers but when I used it I didn't continue getting a paid subscription after the free trial.

ExpressVPN is good, but Tor Guard is less expensive and can match what ExpressVPN provides. That's why I'm switching.